Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Yeah, Marty...It`s pouring over here....

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am working on the instrument layout for the dashboard. Pat emailed me the OD dimensions of the guage bezels and the pressure pump flange. Making them out of paper, and with 7/8" space between the bezels, this is how it looks. I am off to buy a 2-5/8" hole saw, so I can proceed. Spalding cockpit.jpg IMG_7204.JPG IMG_7205.JPG IMG_7208.JPG IMG_7210.JPG

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The torsion bars arrived today, they are shipped in these protective tubes. Gary Schroeder calculated the spring rate to be .725 for the front, and .700's for the rear. This will get us started, and when Pat runs the car on dirt, we will possibly need a minor change on one corner or the other. I bent the front arms, to run parallel to the axle. Now I can machine the bosses that weld to the axle to attach the arms, and weld the "Jack Pads" on the frame, at the other ends of the bars. IMG_7212.JPG IMG_7213.JPG IMG_7214.JPG IMG_7215.JPG IMG_7216.JPG IMG_7217.JPG

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Interesting........

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Not to get ahead of you... what will the torsion bar mounts on the axles be like? This is a fantastic build! Gary

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The fronts will be bosses welded to the back side of the axle. I am going to fab a bracket off the axle, to reach around and make it "double shear" on the mounting bolt. Also, the RH arms, front and rear will be slotted for articulation, and the LH arms will serve as a center locating device, just like the original.

1947knuck, brad2v, rooman and 3 others like this.
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Nice design - beautiful execution.

8. image.jpg image.jpg Hello Marty,

I have the same tach as the original car. I'm not sure if you have one but I can measure mine if you need and exact size. Sorry I haven't read all the pages on the build but I'm starting now. Just wanted to throw it at yea in case you need the size. Mines going into my roadster. By any chance do you know what year the tach was made???

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I think Pat has a 5,000 RPM tach for now, perhaps down the road he will find the correct one, but as he says, "it's not a restoration of the original". Welcome Aboard !

1947knuck likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

I'm sure Pat Swanson up in your corner of the US can find any of the correct gauges you'd need. As well as any other missing Jimmy parts. Surely you guys are familiar.

loudbang and hotrd32 like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rear bars in place. Happy Thanksgiving to all ! IMG_7219.JPG IMG_7221.JPG IMG_7218.JPG IMG_7220.JPG

1947knuck, kiwijeff, HEMI32 and 10 others like this.
  12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Looking good makes me want to build one. Questions could you have run the front bars inside the frame rails, or did you need the with. I am following with great interest Have you got plans? Thanks Frank

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It would have been easy to have installed the bars inside the rails, I did one like that 40 years ago. This had to be like the original. Spalding 2.jpeg

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's time to cut the guage holes, Pat sent me a couple of 2-5/8" guages for fitment. I bought a new Lennox 2-5/8 hole saw, Lennox saws have always served me well. After drilling 1/4" pilot holes in the 18 guage steel dashboard, I clamped some plywood to the back side for support and to keep the dowel on the saw in alignment. I used a tach that I had for a visual, everything worked out fine. IMG_7235.JPG IMG_7236.JPG IMG_7237.JPG IMG_7238.JPG IMG_7239.JPG IMG_7240.JPG IMG_7241.JPG IMG_7242.JPG

15. oj

oj

Fantastic work Marty, beautiful.

16. loudbang

loudbang

Great idea backing it up with wood for the cuts.

1947knuck, Countn'Carbs and brad2v like this.
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx again for keeping us dummies up to speed. Gary

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A while back I expressed the need for a section of a turtle deck to do a repair. Baby Earl responded with a PM and pictures, and a generous offer for the part. I replied with thanks, and my hope to find something maybe closer to me. As it turned out a friend, Bob Lick from Eastern Oregon, had just what we needed and shipped it to me. It has a few bumps, but it is not pitted, and very solid for being over 90 years old. I hammered on it a little and bead blasted it, and will be fitting and installing it soon. IMG_7243.JPG IMG_7245.JPG IMG_7248.JPG IMG_7249.JPG

1947knuck, HEMI32, Dean Lowe and 4 others like this.
  19. Babyearl

Babyearl

Marty, That piece does look better than what I have,, Isn't it great to have good friends.
    Baby Earl

loudbang likes this.
  20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks again for your offer Earl. Meanwhile, I machined the bosses that will attach the front torsion bars to the axle. I also sawed out the "jack pads" for opposite end of the bars. Some grinding and, and using a ball end mill, to provide a pocket for the jack bolt to seat on and index, welding will be next. Tomorrow, I plan on removing the front axle to fit in the Bridgeport, to cut the 7/8" and 1/2" holes in the axle, to slip the bosses through. IMG_7252.JPG IMG_7253.JPG IMG_7254.JPG IMG_7255.JPG IMG_7229.JPG IMG_7232.JPG IMG_7250.JPG IMG_7257.JPG

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

wow - tons of little details - all nicely executed

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  22. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely!

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Frenchtown and Terry, the details of the original car, set it apart from the rest of the competition. It's my privilege to get to build it as close to the original car as possible. Documenting and sharing the build process with interested parties, is also a fun aspect of the job. For any of you that are familiar with my standard Track Roadsters, I have at least one more to build, and have been wondering whether to start a separate thread, or fold it into this one ?

24. Gofannon

Gofannon

I'd like to see a separate thread. For one, the Spalding car is a special case, almost in a class of it's own. Then you said "at least one more" so if you start another thread you could roll in additional builds into that thread. It would be good to make it a thread on building a generic track roadster, so we can get a bit of history and discussion on how they were constructed and why, a sort of track roadster Wiki.

Tman, gas pumper, volvobrynk and 5 others like this.
  25. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

^ +1

Been following this one from the start, great work. Thanks for sharing.

Ed

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Separate thread vote from me too.

If you start it now with some basic parameters, maybe we all can be looking for pieces you may need.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have been thinking a separate thread would be the better way to go. Since there is quite a contrast in the construction both cars, one being a race only, and the other a dual purpose machine. The black car is one of 10 that I built on the same platform. I have jigs, fixtures and precise measurements to make for a speedy, fast moving thread. The new car will be built for my friend Bill Towers, from Delaware, as a replacement for the car pictured. I had been building it for Bill, had it well on the way to completion, and a local buddy wanted one. Well, Bill being the nice guy that he is, sold it to Brent, who did a great job finishing it up. These cars are labor intensive, but inexpensive in the parts department, using early Ford suspension pieces, raw steel tube and sheet aluminum. They are nimble, handle well, have the feel of a race car, and ride decent for an 1800 lb machine. Thanks again to all of you, for your interest ! IMG_2992.JPG IMG_2990.JPG P1010018.JPG

1947knuck, cactus1, kiwijeff and 8 others like this.
  28. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Your use of the phrase "dual purpose" got me thinking. Is your jig adaptable enough to fit a straight six? I'm thinking about a car that would be legal for HA/GR and as Ryan's HAMB dirt tracker, if that event catches on. Unbolt the brackets for rigid rear, kick the axle as far right as possible, hook up the buggy spring, and sling dirt!

I've got a question on your rear hoop. Years ago I test sat in a Gratiot Sprint T. I did my Ray Charles impression to check for clearance. I put a knot in the back of my head that may heal in the next year or so! Have any of your clients reported this problem?

loudbang and Speedwrench like this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Hitting your head on the roll bar has never been a problem for the driver, as you are holding the steering wheel for body control. If you have a passenger that needs a smack on the head, a sharp, quick, tap on the brake will do it ! These cars are "race proven", 6 out of the 10 have made laps on the dirt. 2014-10-14 124717.jpg