Register now to get rid of these ads!

History KENT FULLER chassis maker extraordinaire !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Nov 21, 2016.

1. loudbang

loudbang

If you are an old guy like me and into dragsters you probably remember when Kent Fuller was the "Super Star" of the dragster chassis builders. VERY few weeks went by without one of his chassis winning big time events. After a search of the HAMB there were several posts in a bunch of threads spread all over the place on many subjects and time frames.

So in this thread we will concentrate on the DRAGSTER Frames he built up to the HAMB age cutoff. You will see some other names mentioned throughout this thread that will have their own stories told in other threads after this one is posted.

This is a LONG thread and will have to be split into several pages because of the page limits on amount of photos per page.

So get in your comfortable spot grab a cold refreshment and enjoy.. Not too much reading in this one but a BUNCH of photos he was involved with so many teams and owners famous in their own right. You may have seen some of these photos in other threads posted by other people but they are here again to keep things in order.

Remember there are some parts of his history and cars he was involved with that have been discussed back and forth over the years as memories get fuzzy. If you have other info or want to add or correct anything feel free to post up your thoughts.

KENT FULLER

His first Dragster Daddy's Auto Body Road Kings of Burbank CA Six 97's & a Buick Nailhead for Power it ran B/GD -1957 Built in his back yard.

kf1 email.jpg

Fuller's first shop located in Tony Nancy's complex in Sherman Oaks, CA Moved in Late 1957.

kf2.jpg

These were the days of Drag News. Between 1957 and 1971 Fuller built over 250 chassis.

kf3.jpg

Here's the first Fuller Chassis that was widely known. Tommy Ivo's Record Holding Buick B/GD taken at the 1959 Smoker's Fuel & Gas Championship in Bakersfield, CA. Tom won Top Gas Eliminator against some really stiff competition.

LOOK at those wild pipes.

kf4.jpg

Another photo of "Instant" Ivo and the Fuller Chassis working at Bakersfield. This car was known for its "Quick Leave" hence the "Instant" nickname for Tom.

kf5.jpg

Here's the beautiful midnight blue C/GD dragster of Valley Home Service built by Fuller's good friend Max Belchowski. Max lost interest in the car and Fuller finished the motor mounts and the headers. The car carried Fuller's name as the Chassis Builder.

kf6.jpg

Tom McCourry purchased the Daddy's Auto body dragster. Those headers look very familiar...think he may have bought the ones off Ivo's Single Buick Dragster?

kf7.jpg

Here's Fuller making sure the chassis is straight. Guess he's giving us the sign that it's OK LOL

kf8.jpg

Tony Nancy's A/GR - Blown Buick Nailhead in 1960 at Riverside Raceway Riverside CA. Photo by Doug Peterson

kf9.jpg

"Wild" Bill Alexander swapping pedals in the Ernie's Camera Shop Special. This is Fuller's first car with a round hoop rollbar. 1960.

kf10.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    RJP, 296ardun, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

In late 1959 Ivo & Fuller teamed up again and created Ivo's Twin Buick dragster we all know and love.

kf11.jpg

A front photo of the car. Notice the dent in the Moon Fuel tank. It happen when IVO hit the top end center clocks in the car's 2nd outing at Riverside Raceway. Riverside Raceway had just installed dual clocks Tom's reaction, "What are they doing there?"

kf12.jpg

The Fuller Chassis and the Twin Buicks lightin' em up. The engines produced so much power that Tom quickly learned that to make quick ETs he had to slip the clutch manually. Sort of an early version of a slider clutch. The Twin Buick car now resides in Don Garlits' Drag Racing Museum in Ocala, Florida.

kf13.jpg

The Magwinder driven by Jack Chrisman, Jack drove the original Sidewinder and teamed up with Fuller. This car now resides in Don Garlits' Drag Racing Museum in Ocala Florida.

kf14.jpg

TV Tom and Fuller teamed up for the last time to create Ivo's 4 Buick Dragster "The Showboat" in 1961.

kf15.jpg

Ernie's Camera Shop The Studderbug with Wild Bill Alexander in the seat in 1961

kf16.jpg

The classic Fuller look for the Masters & Richter AA/FD from Northern Calif.

kf17.jpg

Master, Ricter & Haines dragster in the next 4 shots.

kf18.jpg

kf19.jpg

kf20.jpg

kf21.jpg

mad mikey and Dean Lowe like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Tony Nancy's 22Jr. AG/MR Blown Buick Nailhead Built in 1961

kf22.jpg

kf23.jpg

Side shot of the Shark Car, check out that fin LOL.

kf24.jpg

George Bolthoff (who will be having his own history posted in a bit) with his Fuller Chassis Blown Chevy Gas Dragster lifting the wheels @ Lions. Fuller hung the nick name "Bolt Loose" on George.

kf25 see george.jpg

One of the most famous Fuller cars of all time is the Greer, Black & Prudhomme A/FD built in 1962

kf26.jpg

kf27.jpg

One more of the GBP Dragster in action at Lions Drag Strip in Long Beach, CA

kf28.jpg

Kentz Muffler Shop Injected SBC for Power at Lions

kf29.jpg

Another one at Lions, the Zueschel, Fuller & Prudhomme A/FD 1962

kf30.jpg

The ZFP Dragster from the shot above won Top Eliminatorat the Smokers Fuel & Gas Championship.

kf31.jpg

mad mikey and Dean Lowe like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

kf32 no caption.jpg

Roland DeLong's Hawaiian A/FD in 1964

kf33.jpg

Stellings & Hampshire S&H Red Stamp Special. One of Fuller's Best!

kf34.jpg

kf35.jpg

kf36.jpg

kf37.jpg

kf38.jpg

kf39.jpg

Must be warm in the shop today. The man showing off his muscles.

kf40.jpg

RJP, Dean Lowe and mad mikey like this.

5. loudbang

loudbang

No history or captions with this three wheeler. Anyone know anything about it???

kf41.jpg

kf42.jpg

kf43.jpg

kf44.jpg

Kent's Quote:
    I worked with Dusty at C&T automotive in the late 50's. He was doing mechanical work and tuneups while I was doing motor mounts and crankshafts. I had a shop next door to him later in Northridge.

I built this car for Dusty in late '63 or 1964. Dusty designed the body and Arnie Roberts built it. The rollbar was shaped to fit the body. Dusty got his feet badly burned and was unable to drive for quite awhile.

While he was recuperating from his burns, his wife would go to the library and get books on old automotive stuff. He learned a lot about early days engineering and was able to apply it to racing engines.

Don't know what happened to the car. I thought it was pretty and ran good Don't know the wheelbase, you know I never knew that stuff.

The car was built somewhere between Safford's Shark car and Chuck Griffiths Starlite.

kf45.jpg

kf46.JPG

kf47.jpg

kf48.jpg

The Starlite as mentioned above.

kf49.jpg

Now the Starlite III

kf 50 StarliteIII.jpg

Dean Lowe and mad mikey like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Terrible Ted Gotelli out of South San Francisco.

kf51.jpg

THE POINTY YEARS!!

Pointy chassis the Pointy Chassis. Here's the Inside of a Fuller Pointy Front End Chassis

kf52.jpg

The Original Goldleaf MagicCar Winkle, Trapp & Fuller 1964.

kf53.jpg

The Greek's Magic Car. A Chassis within a Chassis. One was for the Engine.

kf54.jpg

kf55.jpg

Bev's Steakhouse dragster Seattle WA.

kf56.jpg

Bev's Steakhouse again one of the "Fuller Pointy Front Ends"

kf57.jpg

That's Fuller himself on the sideline watching Bev's Steakhouse do its thing.

kf58.jpg

Bev's Steakhouse sans nose piece

kf59.jpg

kf60.jpg

kf61.jpg

Classic Pointy Nose Fuller Chassis Unblown Unknown John Mitchell

kf62.jpg

So there it is. Kent's history didn't stop there but this is as far as we can go and stay in HAMB guidelines LOL.

Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed posting it.:p

7. I have never seen that trike, crazy!

8. That was a great read and the pics are fantastic. Thanks to LOUDBANG for taking the time and effort to post all of this dragster history.

296ardun and loudbang like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

George Bolthoff is next. :p But nobody else has as much history Fuller.

mad mikey likes this.
  10. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Really enjoyed that. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Great stuff! He's definitely one of the early pioneers. I really dig all the "under construction" photos that you shared, giving a little glimpse into the build process. I've always been interested in the building and engineering process of these early rails. It always seemed that things evolved at such a quick rate in both arenas during this era. Thanks for sharing!

loudbang likes this.
  12. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

really kool pics! he was a busy guy!!!

loudbang likes this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

extremely Cool - Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My little FED was a Kent Fuller Chassis car; the style beginning here with the Masters and Richter digger, through to George Bolthoff's rail. It was a 120 inch wheelbase car originally owned by Hank Johnson of the PNW; it was his second dragster, the first was injected, the second blown, and both were SBC. When I bought it, the guy I got it from had made it into a rear motored bracket dragster for his wife to race. His added-on tubes were not straight, and there was a visible "twist" to the rear of the chassis. I cut it all off, and put it back to it's original configuration. Course back when the chassis was built, the tires were hard rubber with solid sidewalls, and they smoked them all the way down the quarter. Now it's 1980, and I've got a pair of M & H Racemaster, wrinkle wall slicks on the car. Instant traction and the 45 degree plus wheelstands were the result. Wheelie bars went on after my first series of license runs. 340 HP 327 short block, mild solid lifter, flat tappet cam, 461 X castings with 2.02 intake valves; all the valves had been lightened (you could shave with them!), the runners ported, and the chambers polished, pinned studs, and the Crower springs that came with the cam. Single point distributor, a Holley 300-25 intake with a Holley 750 DP. The most expensive things on the entire car was the Hooker, adjustable headers and the Harland sharp roller rocker arms. I bought a shorty kit for a Powerglide, a steel hub, transbrake, and built my own transmission. I had a 5500 stall converter initially, but in went a 4500 stall after the wheelie experience. It had a narrowed 57 Pontiac rear end with 4.10 gears on an open carrier, along with a rusted and corroded up pair of disc brakes; they got tossed in the trash, and I installed drum brakes (easy to find parts for anywhere; not at all like the disc brakes). 9.23 ET @ 146 MPH was the best time/speed wrung out of it. I wish I could post pics; I've got lots of them. That little FED is one of the cars I really wish I had kept, although there's no way it would probably tech now (although it is currently running Brackets as The Oregon Outlaw II in Oregon). I sold it to Terry Seaholm (of Old Timers Northwest car club), who later sold it to the Oregon guy. I called the car "Short Circuit", because of the wheelbase.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

loudbang likes this.
  16. 296ardun

296ardun

Good stuff...the Valley Home Service dragster wound up cut in half in the traps at San Fernando, flywheel explosion....the headers on the Daddy's car are Ivo's, as they replaced their carbureted Buick with Ivo's engine...this dragster was Ivo's first dragster ride, after he fixed the shifter....right after his ride he went to Fuller and had him build the first single-Buick car.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i have spoke to ivo a few times at the reunions, we had a good conversation at cali a couple years ago about fuller. ivo had some real good things to say. we talked about driving one buick motor then two, then 4, talked about the chassis flex, he really did great with fullers chassis, but alot of people did!

18. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thank you - good stuff

loudbang likes this.
  19. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Nice slice of history. The Bev's car was based out of Eugene, Oregon

20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Enjoyed every word.

loudbang likes this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

56sedandelivery has a good idea, if anybody has photos of fuller framed cars of their own or just have saved some feel free to post them here so everybody can see them.

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Loudbang.Thanks for a very interesting thread.Looking forward to more.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have no way of scanning my photos, but I'd be willing to mail them to someone who can do that, as long as they're sent back to me!!!!! I have photos of the bare rolling chassis, to action photos taken at Bremerton Raceway and Seattle International Raceway (now called Pacific Raceways once again). I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The John Mitchell Jr Fueler was based in Portland, Or. Me and a buddy (Mike Guyot) bought the car in early '86, it had been stored since 1970. When Kent built it, he fitted it for Chevy and Chrysler power, John switched to the Hemi after 50 passes. We shortened the WB to 150", installed a 6-71 and went racing that spring. I am writing a story about our exploits with the car, that could possibly be published in HRD, it's called "7 Seconds For Under Seven Thousand Dollars". 2012-09-14 163930.jpg 2012-08-31 123144.jpg

25. loudbang

loudbang

OH man that is something I would pay to read. Your writing style in what I have read in posts here on the HAMB is great.

mad mikey likes this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Got to looking at the three wheeler again and noticed only two small "exhaust pipes" out one side and how small the whole thing is. Kent was also into go karts so maybe this was some kind of kart powered thing ?

[​IMG]

mad mikey likes this.
  27. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

Or could it have been powered by a cycle engine ? Harley perhaps?

28. What a great thread keep it going.

loudbang likes this.
  29. I'd love to see those! Do you have a cell phone that can take pictures or a digital camera? If you do, you can just take a picture of each picture instead of scanning them.

loudbang likes this.
  30. HellsBells5

HellsBells5

loudbang likes this.