Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Salvaging spray cans of paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralphies54, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Is there any way to depressurize a spray can that's loaded with perfectly good paint where the nozzle will not work despite many tries at stopping the spurting by cleaning and changing tip? This is fairly expensive stuff from Hirsch although it's 2+ years old I'd like to use it in my detail gun. Is there any place to pierce the can to let out the gas and not the paint?? Thanks, Ralphie

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think the answer is NO.
    Plus, there really is a very small amount of actual usable
    paint in an aerosol can - not enough to use.
    It's mostly propellant not paint.;

LOU WELLS, NashRodMan and 3340 like this.
  3. hold it upside down and hold the nozzle till all the pressure is out.
    i have used spray bomb paint before to touch up with a brush , i just spray it into the cap.

Driver50x, jimmy six, sunbeam and 4 others like this.
  4. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Yep, I second that.
    Once all the pressures out you can pierce it.
    It's not an atom bomb

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yep... then puncture the can and drain out the paint. Model builders call it "decanting." Gary

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

We used to wrap a rag around the top of the can and use an awl to make a small puncture near the top where the ring for the cap sits. Very little if any paint came out, and the awl went thru the rag.
    To be save wear a face shield and make a small hole.
    When the pressure is relieved you can enlarge the hole to remove the paint.
    Be sure to shake the can well before you do this so that the paint coming out of the can is well mixed!
    KK

Automotive Stud and Ralphies54 like this.
  7. My approch is just a bit different. I still have the Old style can opener, the one that punches a V shaped hole. I turn the can upside down and in one fast move just punch the hole. The can barely burps. Pour the paint out and the marble. No big deal.
    The Wizzard

Automotive Stud and Driver50x like this.
  8. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Thanks KoolKat, I'll try that tomorrow.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still have the Old style can opener, the one that punches a V shaped hole.
    The Wizzard[/QUOTE]
    That's commonly known as a "church key".

chicog and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done the same thing with an older can opener. Use it for touch ups. Or put it in one of those pre-val sprayers.

11. Better shake it up good first, otherwise all the pigment will stay in the can and all you'll get is the "vehicle".

12. Fellow I know put them in a lathe. He runs then at a a lower speed for a while. That will sometimes loosen and clean the inside valve.

13. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Yeah, all I care about are salvaging the marbles & ball bearings for other practical uses. 8^) Jack E/NJ

MO54Frank likes this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Or a sawzall

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Put them in the freezer for a few hours and pressure will go down. Don't know if freezing will ruin the paint, probably not unless it is latex.

16. Leave can upright, pierce with awl, wait for pressure to equalise, put thumb over hole, shake it up, punch another hole opposite (to let air in), pour out into container. Just be careful after giving it a shake, when you take yur thumb off the hole as some propellent may be dissolved inth paint, and it will fart a little. .

17. KoolKat-57's way is how I do it. Use a rag, make a small hole. When the pressure is gone make a big hole and dump the paint out. Oh, save the marble too.

32Stoker likes this.
  18. hotrod428

hotrod428

I just throw them in the fire, they depressurize pretty quick.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Before poking the hole, shake it - if it gets cold, it probably will spray unless 20 yrs old. I heat the can in hot water, and with plastic bags over my hands I poke a chunk of welding rod bent to a "V" into the feed tube. If it sprays, let it go for a couple seconds to blow out dried residue. No pressure, proceed as above ...

21. Now tb33anda3rd I have done that a lot.Bruce.

22. Now this isn't about spray paint cans but, my dad was so cheap, ahhh frugle when all the pressure was gone in the spray whip cream containers he would use a can opener and open up the bottom and use a long spoon to eat the rest of the whipped cream. LOL Bruce.

23. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'm thinking if I pierce the can at the top with an awl just the propellant should escape as I think the feed tube extends to the bottom of the can. So I'm going to cover up me, cover the can with rags, wear gloves and a face shield, do this outdoors, cross my fingers, hope I don't cover the neighborhood with silver paint and go for it. Results Monday afternoon. Wish me luck, Ralphie

24. we need pictures. hahaha

vitamindart, RICH B and ct1932ford like this.
  25. Ralphie RIP!:eek:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. I'd just throw the can away and go buy a small can or bottle of the color you need at the time. seems a lot easier and safer. Like someone said, a can of spray paint is less than 12 % paint and about 85 % vehicle. Hardly worth the effort.

clem likes this.
  27. rlsteel

rlsteel

I have got the paint out by taking a small drill bit and start drilling a small hole, dont break all the way through .when the presure is out drill a bigger hole and get the paint. You will be suprised how much you can save. As for old paint stopping up the nozzles i have tried everything, the only think that I have made work on the really stuborn ones is to drill the nozzle with a .040 drill bit, but it is alot harder to spray with the bigger nozzle.

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I accidentally depressurized a nearly full can of spray paint once. I was doing some paint work under the hood of a 56 Chevrolet, and left the hood up for the paint to dry. Returned, and slammed the hood down; I had forgotten the paintcan was still on top of the grille/hood latch mechanism. I had flat black paint everywhere I did't want it. I've never had any luck trying to save a spray can of paint, no matter how I've tried to pierce it; paint always comes out with the propellant. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Man I just lay 'em on their side and poke a slit with the corner of a stiff putty knife. No paint comes out. Drain the paint, cut further then fold it open and get the marble. Ain't no big deal.

I have read you can take the nozzle out and repressurize with air. Never tried it.

Montana1 likes this.
  30. Ah hell, as long as you're not holding a lit cigerette you will be fine :)

Driver50x likes this.