Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Plymouth Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Dodge Pickup, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Installed the front fender today still needs some body work, but I wanted to start fabricating the inner fender wells while doing the body work, so on it went. I am not sure about the ride height it seems a little high any thoughts? I also have made a decision not to reinstall the running boards I will be making something on the bottom of the fenders to smooth the transition.
    IMG_2676.JPG
    IMG_2677.JPG

1947knuck and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. I'm lovin those rivets you used. Looks really good;)

3. Thank you it was a lot of hammering, but I agree I really love the look! Thank you for looking! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  4. In my previous post I mentioned that I wasn't going to reinstall the running boards. Well after looking at countless pictures I thought I was making a mistake. I was struggling with finding the right contour to flow with the cars body lines then I looked at the rear fender it was perfect so I traced the line and started cutting. This is what I was starting with in an attempt to make this flow.
    IMG_2685.JPG

I couldn't resist using my new planishing hammer it's a Harbor Freight and surprisingly it actually works really well right out of the box.
    IMG_2680.JPG
    After seeing this on the car I really like my decision to remove the running boards I think this really flows with the body and looks unique.
    IMG_2684.JPG
    IMG_2682.JPG

1947knuck and KustomKreeps like this.
  5. That may work out for the look you are after, and will certainly be unique. Kind of reminiscent of a COE step.

6. Yeah you are right I didn't think of that during the process, but that is an Great way to describe it! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  7. Had a Great Day drove the 56 this morning (in November) doesn't happen to often in upstate NY sprayed primer on my 37 Plymouth fire wall with a paint gun for the first time. Then did some welding and metal shaping everyday should be this good!

8. 51cambridge

51cambridge

Plan on driving mine tomorrow. Was my daily driver all summer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 Dodge Pickup likes this.
  9. Nothing better than driving them! except when I'm in the garage working on them. Have a fun ride! Hobo Jim

1947knuck, clunker and 51cambridge like this.
  10. Mudgy

Mudgy

G'day Jim,

Any progress mate? I got my tailshaft made, picked it up today - now the front actually joins to the back.

Can't post about it though, it's too modern now for this site. Oh well.:rolleyes:

Cheers, Mudgy

11. Great to hear for you!! I'm very happy that you are making progress send me some pics on my email. I have been trying to learn how to paint Ha Ha expensive stuff to learn with was planning on shooting color this weekend, but now they are calling for snow. So it will be back to some metal work the fire wall is ready for final color the paint that I have been using is just rattle can. I also have everything I need to hookup the shift linkage throw in a battery and it will be a driver!! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Your Plymouth is coming along really well. I hope to begin work on my 1937 Dodge soon. Hopefully us self employed folks can get a tax break by this April.... LOL. All my spare money is going into getting the 1937 on the road. Even though it will be a rat nest on wheels at first, I plan on putting some miles on it to be sure that I fix the problems that arise while it's not painted. Then I will dismantle, make everything pretty, then reassemble it.... I am taking some notes from you, you definitely come up with some really great looking fabrication work.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

51cambridge likes this.
  13. Thank you very much classic car jack I would love to see your build! I really enjoy the fabrication part of the build i am glad that you appreciate it! Stay tuned for further updates I'm heading out to the garage to try and learn how to paint we'll see what happens Ha Ha!! Hobo Jim

1947knuck and 51cambridge like this.
  14. OK I just shot final color for the first time I think it came out good I am impressed. Here is a before shot of the fire wall and a shot of the final color. I used PPG Essential paint with an Omni filler primmer.

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG
    I hope to be doing the final install this weekend making progress towards a driver.

1947knuck and 51cambridge like this.
  15. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Looks good and not too orange peeled. Once you can master thick without runs, it will look like glass when you buff it out.

My paint jobs for friends always look great. I hope that I can do the same for myself..... I am self taught on everything I do. It took A-LOT of practice to get it right.

Your first try looks very nice actually.... You should pat yourself on your back. ;)

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Thank you I was impressed the paint hit the panel Ha Ha!! I agree with self taught give it a try and see what happens.

1947knuck likes this.
  17. chriseakin

chriseakin

Do you plan on adding any pinstriping to the dash or any decoration to break up the colour a bit?

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to say that I'm not feeling the lack of running boards. I think that your car ( and other fat fender cars ) have a classic look with the running boards and just look odd without them like something is missing.

19. Yes I have a good friend who will be doing pinstriping and maybe some gold leaf to the dash and the rest of the car. I agree the color needs something. Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  20. That's funny some days and today is one of them I'm not sold on this either its one of those things that I have to think about. I still have the running board on the drivers side to look at.

1947knuck likes this.
  21. Hey Blue One I have been working on the running board design I like this kind of a compromise just don't like the big running boards I am looking for a rounded design that will flow with the car. This design maybe will see metal soon. Thank you for your input! Hobo Jim
    IMG_2692.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG
    still need some fine tuning on the template before fab but it's a rough idea.

1947knuck likes this.
  22. I didn't have any metal to fab the running board so I started working on the layout of the door panels I am really excited about how this is looking. I have some more thinking as to the finishing details but it is really nice to see them on the doors for the first time.
    IMG_2700.JPG
    This shows how they will flow with the dash and carry throughout the interior.
    IMG_2699.JPG

1947knuck and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. Here is my firewall after sanding and buffing came out really nice for my first time painting. I am learning a lot about painting and prep in the process of taking this build to the next level. What a Great time working on this car! Hobo Jim
    IMG_2696.JPG

24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

25. Thank you Classic Car Jack! I am learning a lot and having a Great Time!

1947knuck likes this.
  26. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Great build. Having a great time is what it's all about.

27. Thank you Chop Job I hope to get some more garage time this weekend!

28. Fire wall installed final paint I am really happy with the results from a piece of sheet metal to final install. oops I just noticed the yellow tape on the trim piece that will be off in the morning Ha Ha! I definitely have to do something with that vacuum line. Hobo Jim
    IMG_2702.JPG

29. So after a lot of thought and several drawings I have decided to go with the factory running boards. I was pleased to find some metal work that needed to be done. First I fabricated the rear bracket to attach the running board to the rear fender. I was able to play with my shrinker/stretcher it handled the 18 gauge with no problems.

IMG_2703.JPG
    some welding and crack filling and it was onto the front.
    IMG_2704.JPG

On the front there was some rust repair as well as forming the lower fender roll with planishing hammer.
    IMG_2705.JPG

Final results on the front I will be fabricating the bracing from the frame so I don't have to put on of those please don't step signs on my car!
    IMG_2706.JPG