Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The JackStand Story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 18, 2016.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thought some of my senior peers would appreciate this story, Flash back 36 years, home w/ 2 car garage w/loft. At this time, running my business 60/70 hours/week/minimum, running a racing business/hobby, out of this 2 car garage, 30+ hours + traveling, competing,4/5 months/year, 21 years, family, 5 kids, trying do some things w/ them, snowmobiling, attending sporting events, etc. I was BUSY ALWAYS. Built jack stands, high school, still have them, bought more through the years, tall ones, HD short ones, HD tall ones, ones w/ wheels to move cars around, Always in a hurry, can't find something, buy some more was my program. Forward 30 years, sold house, garage had loft, had put up a steel beam, roof was sagging, could not climb stairs anymore at this time, bad hip, since replaced, good now. 2 of my Sons came over to empty loft for me and could not believe what I had in Loft, Alot of STUFF, mostly junk (why most I saved it, NFIdea) I had 32 jack stands up there, plus all the others in my shop and storage barn, had 54 total jackstands, So..... anyone that stopped in to the shoot breeze, before I left area, took home a pair or more of free jackstands as my going away present to them. I kept what I wanted/needed, apparently, my wife and I are hoarders, not TV program hoarders, But Hoarders. Memories pop in when I'm on the HAMB.

2. I can relate. Sort of. Went to Harbor freight to buy some HD jack stands. Found them and since I needed 4 I bought 4 boxes. Since I am a guy I did not read the box. There were 2 in each box!! Now I have 8 of them!!

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Can never have too many....I need more.

lothiandon1940 and wicarnut like this.

4. If you've kept each other this long, "you might be hoarders". Fun read.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

thought it would be about a guy named Jack Stand - Ha! why does the term "hoarder" have to be a negative? will be downsizing to a smaller place next year, need to sell off misc stuff. have tried here, swap meets, eBay, craigslist with limited success. will not do a garage sale for the low buck buzzards

clem, Speedwrench and wicarnut like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Great story. I have plenty of old pin type stands but unless all the ratcheting ones are in use they stay in the corner.

wicarnut likes this.
  7. brad2v

brad2v

That's a pretty funny tale. Good stuff

wicarnut likes this.
  8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I hoard spray paint. If I need one can and it's on sale I buy 2 or 3 I just figure it's a good deal!
    I have some cans that are over 30 years old, might need that color or finish some day.
    I have moved twice in the last 15 years and they all made the trip.
    We're men, we do things like that!
    KK

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Get the marbles out of those old cans, they're the best ones. It's like opening a Cracker Jack box. After they're used up of course. :)

wicarnut likes this.
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ha ha ha not quite as bad over here. Have 4 parts store jack stands, plus 4 home made ones, and last year got a chance to buy 3 junk Model A rear axles. I always wanted a set of those jack stands made of Ford axle housings, like all the real old time down and dirty garages used to have. Now I have them too.

bct, zombiecat and wicarnut like this.
  11. Chief 64

Chief 64

Here is my jack stand story.

I have had these jack stands for 45 years. I have used them a thousand times. One day I was under a car with them and a friend said " you know..... they made those stands out of exhaust pipe.....I can't believe you trust them"

I have never been able to use them since. I guess I should offer them to a museum.
    upload_2016-11-18_13-13-52.png

12. better too many than too few.....
    good story.

lothiandon1940 and wicarnut like this.
  13. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Fun story.....thanks for sharing! ........I've somehow managed to acquire multiple sets of jack stands... they all get used though..... I do mumble when I wish I had another set because "they are all being used." I may have a problem if I ever take my project cars off the jack stands, and have to actually ''put them someplace" other than ''under'' the cars:eek:

wicarnut likes this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

I sold some misc Tool &Die shop misc on E-Bay, was happy with $$$ received, You could do what we did, gave away Tons ! of good stuff, To church, friends, friends of friends that had some kids starting out, neighbors, some machine shop equipment to a young guy starting out, sold and financed some machines, got paid in full, no problems. I remember when I was young, starting out, had some good people and mentors, that helped me/us in various ways, I/we felt good about sharing our good fortune and giving back or paying forward, which ever way you look at it. I/we like you, didn't want to deal w/ rummage sale/people, time factor and tolerance level, I would rather give something away to some body that needs it, rather than fool w/ a rummage sale, Good Luck w/ your down sizing, Will Say, it was a much bigger project than I ever thought.

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have some like that, a gift from my Dad, kept them for sentimental as a keepsake, have his racing tool box, tools, most items older than me.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have a pair of those that I received from my father in law. I thought that that was a very nice gesture but now I thinks he hated me! I use them for supporting a spare rear end and nothing more. Short and tall ratcheting types now. Why? Because I'm worth it!

wicarnut likes this.
  17. Toss them in with your next scrap steel run. My ex-wife was incredibly cheap, I have many stories but will relate the jack stand one. One year for Xmas I asked for a pair of jack stands... what do I get? ONE jack stand, same as yours. I never used it and I did scrap it. I have about 4 pairs of very good ones.

wicarnut likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Exactly, those things should have pads welded on the legs.
    Had four of them years ago, now just two.
    Reason, 1960 Pontiac, had to weigh 6000lbs, sitting on hot soft asphalt on slight angle.
    As the day got hotter the angle increased, you know the rest of the story.

wicarnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

And, as in the photo above, after enough use the ends of the top piece no longer tip upward, even downward on some. Gives me shivers thinking of the years I spent underneath with those babies.

wicarnut likes this.
  20. Chief 64

Chief 64

I think when us car guys get old and die there is going to be a lot of guardian angels looking for something to do, they will be sitting around saying "remember those car guys , man they keep us busy"

wicarnut - great story that started this thread by the way!!

Cooon, wicarnut, 37hotrod and 2 others like this.
  21. I still have a heavy duty pair I got from when I worked in a gas station back in the late 70s .They can hold 3 tons and I still use them. I used when workng on the 56 buick station wagon and now use them when working on the 56 Chrysler.These are the kind you aren't afraid will let you down when under a car. I also still have my heavy duty Mac. battery charger from the 70s. Looks a little worn but still works great. Bruce.

wicarnut likes this.
  22. I'm up to 8. <---- 1 car garage. :)

wicarnut likes this.
  23. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just cleaned the shop and storage room last week - 8 homemade stands from Model T axle housings (4 short-4 tall) plus 10 heavy duty adjustable stands and 2 medium duty stands = 20 jack stands. OMG. I am a hoarder also!

Bruce Fischer, Stogy and wicarnut like this.
  24. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i have those EXACT ones -n- still use em...
    yes i do have better ones too...

wicarnut likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya know what that means Fuzzy...buy another Hotrod so they don't go to waste...;)

Speedwrench and wicarnut like this.
  26. desotot

desotot

I only have 8 left, I lent 2 to a neighbour and he let his brother use them, never saw those again.

wicarnut likes this.
  27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The tricky thing about jack stands is that they are usually sold and rated in pairs. 5 ton stands hold 5000 pounds each. They are rated for a vertical load only. Lightweight materials are easy to move but they bend easily. Dents can weaken them. It's like the trick where you can stand on a beer can but a quick tap on the sides with you fingers and it collapses.

wicarnut likes this.
  28. I'm not a hoarder of jack stands, only have 6, but how many here have 3 5 gallon pails full of male/female plugs cut off from wiring harnesses. I've explained to my wife that after I'm dead, she will find things in my garage that are unexplainable to normal people. Just toss them in the dumpster and live happily, knowing that I loved her to the end.
    wicarnut, where was your shop?

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatta Pal...o_O...Next time you lend him something tie a string to it and when he walks away it'll yank right out of his hands and your response can be fooled ya :D. Seriously I've lent stuff out and they put or bring it back mangled or broken...I could go on. Respect and ethics is a beautiful thing.

wicarnut and Asphalt Demon like this.