Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. I'm a Chevy guy but still want to keep tabs on this cool build.

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

No pictures to post. Going to cut out the driveshaft loop pieces tomorrow and getting ready to ride to Greer tomorrow night for some Gasser action on Saturday. It's a 500 mile ride one way.
    Have to wait until the wife gets off work to leave so I have all day to make parts for the Morris Minor.
    Maybe , I will sand some of the british pea green off and shoot some primer.
    Always heard a green race car was bad luck.
    For all of you Falcon Gasser lovers here is one for you

Attached Files:

OahuEli, catdad49, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Next time you come to the Spring Hill Fl. area, come look us up and stop in and say Hi.
    JW Rod Shoppe
    18923 Titus Road
    Hudson,Fl. 34667

Glenn

mad mikey likes this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Is it worth the expense for fiberglass ? I took the front fenders off today and weighed them.
    9 lbs. The hood 19 lbs. with the hood emblem and the latch. A one piece glass nose is almost a grand plus shipping from Australia .Then have to build the braces to hold it together and on the car.
    I don't think so.
    Picked out the paint ,well it sort of picked me. I got 2 Gallons of school bus yellow and a gallon of Candy apple red. Both single stage urethane ,they were free and free is good if you have bought paint lately. Man, that stuff is outrageous any more.
    I just give my customers a list of materials and tell them to go to the paint store so they don't think I am ripping them off for materials. They usually come back looking like somebody shot their dog.

Attached Files:

5. Saxxon

Saxxon

Free is good... I like free !!

I am leaving in a few hours to pick up my latest acquisition, a 48 Austin Pickup. I'm watching this thread for pointers and ideas for building something this small. And maybe catch a few "free" crumbs as they drop off the build.... : ) I am hoping I have a bit of a head start since the frame for these little 1/4 tons are fairly robust and I'll likely not replace it if it's in decent shape. A full fiberglass front and doors are available for my build... but I'm in the same boat as you - is it really worth the the expense.

Good luck - Have fun with this one

volvobrynk, mad mikey and AHotRod like this.
  6. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Morris Minors were unibody . So no chance of not building a frame. They were 37 hp. originally.
    Shooting for 450-500 hp. with the Ford motor.
    Did'nt make it to Greer. Got within an hour of the track and my sister called and said they had
    taken my 96 year old mother by ambulance to the hospital and it didn't look good.
    Family is more important race cars , so we turned around and drove another 500 miles back to Fl.
    She is still alive thanks to a lot of prayers, but it is still hour by hour.

8. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Your gasser family that was in Greer would agree with this statement 100%!!

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just got home from the hospital. My mother had a pacemaker installed today and her heart rate is up to 60 beats a minute from 28 beats when they took her to the hospital Saturday morning.
    So now I can get back to building my Morris Minor. Should have some progress photos by Monday.
    Going to see a buddy up in Valdosta who has a narrowed 9 inch with a spool that I can trade out some sheetmetal work on his Merc Sun Valley for. I found a 5,13 gear which should be close to what I need.
    I may need a 5.29 , but the 5.13's will get me started.

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got a little done today. Went and got some welding gas and and whipped up a driveshaft loop.

Attached Files:

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my driveshaft loop installed and my front frame welded in between getting my mother from the hospital to a rehab center after her getting a pacemaker installed.
    thanks for all the prayers and kind words.
    Sorry the picture is upside down, don't know how to turn it.

Attached Files:

12. loudbang

loudbang

Right side up LOL

over.jpg

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

14. XXL__

XXL__

The paint gods were with you. Usually "free paint" is a really bad camel tan or a horribly mis-tinted red that ends up being a "rose" or "red clay" color.

In high school (about a million years ago), I worked a co-op job at a body shop. All the "scrap" paint was handled by me, so I poured off all the red-like leftovers into a spare can. I managed to scrape together a gallon after about a month. I shot my car with it... looked great in the booth. Rolled it out into the sun and realized I would be driving a tomato. Worst part... douchebag boss deducted full retail price of the paint from my check... this was the leftovers emptying the gun and 1" leavings in the bottom of gallons after the jobs were done. My job was to DUMP all of that stuff as waste... so he converted waste into full price $$$. Again... douchebag.

I look forward to more progress on the Minor.

15. mohead1

mohead1

Where and how much for the Falcon

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

That Falcon was mine and it went to New York to a new owner. Sorry for the confusion.

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

The free paint came about by using Kirker paint. I painted a customers truck and needed a little more paint. So I ordered another gallon and the next gallon matched like black and white. I called Kirker and they admitted they had problems with consistency from batch to batch.
    They would not make good on my labor of having to respray the whole truck over with another companies paint. They did however send me a bunch of paint and primer to compensate for the trouble. So that is how the free paint came about. Using Kirker is like going to Las Vegas. You might win and you might lose your ass. Lesson learned.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

No progress to report unless you want to see some body work pictures.
    Taking the body to bare metal . Only had 2 little holes to weld patches in on the front fenders,
    Some small parking lot dents ,but basically block it, prime it and shoot it.

19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Looking Good, I have been so busy I haven been on here in a few weeks. Let me know if you need anything.

catdad49 and Mtn Goat like this.
  20. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! This thing is going to be a handful! - maybe even two! That is one tough looking little car.
    [​IMG]

21. loudbang

loudbang

the driver best have reflexes like wild willy that short is going to be a handful :eek: But it will be fun to watch :rolleyes:

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang,

I too thought of Wild Willie Borsch when I saw that picture. This is the image that came to mind:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

OahuEli, catdad49, volvobrynk and 4 others like this.
  23. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

This is a fun thread to stay caught up with, it's helping me draw a mental game plan for my AWB chevy II

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Sorry that I haven't posted any progress on the car, but I had to finish a paint job on a 70 Chevy p.u.
    for a customer.
    Can't be welding and grinding in my shop when painting. I don't have a paint booth so I have to be extra careful about dirt and chemicals.
    Today ,I will be welding up the back of the chassis. It is going to be a coil spring rear and waiting on the coils from Speedway. Thanks for the encouragement. It will be a handful to drive, but that's what gassers are all about.

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Finished installing the frame rails all the way to the back of the car, still need to weld gusset plates at
    the frame joints. It is coming slowly,excuse my duck shit welds, but I can't see as good as I used to.
    I am almost 70 and half blind.
    Getting ready for the rear suspension and start on the cage.

Attached Files:

26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my frame fishplated today and got my f100 front axle cut and narrowed. It is jigged up and ready to be welded back together. So I can drill some lightening holes in it. Trying to cut at least 5 lbs off the axle. It was 2 lbs just cutting the 6 in chunk out of the middle.
    Started on my rear bars, was going to build them like the ones Quain Stott put on the Moonlighter Willys. I decided to use heim joints on the front instead. I can adjust the wheelbase a little this way.

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Looking good.

29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Narrowed my free 54 F100 front axle to fit the Morris yesterday. Had to cut 6 1/4 inches out of it.
    Now I need to drill it full of holes to try and get some more weight off. Fortunately it drills fairly
    easy. Just time consuming. 20161212_1946411.jpg

30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Test fitting my front axle before drilling the holes. Obviously the F100 springs are too long so
    I have to get some 26 to 27 inch springs.
    I purposely made the axle so the front wheels would be at the edge of the front wheel wells. With a 87 inch wheelbase I figured a little wider front track would make the car just a little more manageable.
    20161215_1556441.jpg