Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 239 Flathead Heavy smoking at idle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flannelsandvans, Nov 12, 2016.

1. flannelsandvans

flannelsandvans
    from Hollister

Hey all! I'm the proud new owner of a stock 1953 Ford Mainline Business coupe with a 239 Flathead that runs strong, fires right up but smokes like a freight train. I know she's running rich but after adjusting both idle screws(completely bottomed out to 1/4 turn equally) nothing seems to change. She will idle low but horrible throttle response. It's a bone stock motor complete with the oil bath air cleaner and any adjustments I've made have been with the air cleaner attached....Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

2. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

With "oil bath" breather on or off, is it still smoking?
    A carb rebuild needed, choke plate fully open, idle circuit functioning as it should?

3. R Pope

R Pope

What color smoke? Does it smell? White smoke, water, blue smoke, oil, black smoke, gas. A burnt smell is caused by a scored cylinder wall.

4. flannelsandvans

flannelsandvans
    from Hollister

Smoke is more black than blue... will leave a trail behind it in the garage and against the back wall. Has a slight odor of gas

5. flannelsandvans

flannelsandvans
    from Hollister

I haven't adjusted anything with breather off, only on at operating temp. Choke off, butterfly closed. No carb rebuild yet. I pulled and replaced plugs, good amount of carbon build up and reeked of gas, only one plug fouled for sure. I'm going to compression test tomorrow to hopefully eliminate ring failure.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Do a compression check and rebuild the carb, like you said. That will be a good starting point.

7. flannelsandvans

flannelsandvans
    from Hollister

Could my vacuum advance have anything to do with adjusting the idle screws and not seeing any results?

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Your vacuum advance should only actuate above idle.
    Idle screws only adjust your idle. If your carb needs rebuilt ( and odds are it does) the idle screws won't effect your rpm at idle. Normally if you screw your idle screws to its seat and you see no change at idle, you possible could have a vacuum leak.
    Get you carb rebuilt and go from there after you take a compression test.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  9. flannelsandvans

flannelsandvans
    from Hollister

Sounds like a plan. Thank you sir!