Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chopped Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Jan 15, 2016.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

The fun begins and the parts start arriving....So anyone that has any helpful pointers on replacing these springs on a stock 1952 Chevy front end feel free to chime in....I've never done this so all suggestions are welcomed! I have a few days off work starting on Friday and my goal is to have a rolling chassis, freshly painted and new suspension on all 4 corners, before I have to go back to work on next Wednesday....that includes getting rid of all the rust on the frame, stock front end, etc. I rebuilt the third arm months ago as well as replaced the kingpins so I should be good to go there....the rest of the front end, bushings, etc all seem to be in good shape. I can't feel any slop in the bushings but that may change when I get the old springs out? Not sure the best way to check all that.

IMG_6772.jpg

brEad likes this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

I borrowed this picture from a thread I found, (i hope there isn't any copyright infringement! :eek: ) but I am not sure what the triangular piece is that is being used on the bottom of the control arm to compress the spring...

[​IMG]

3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Been out in the shop this evening harvesting old rear spring mounts and staring at new springs and mounts. Tomorrow the power washer and wire wheels will be busy and hopefully by the end of the day the chassis will start changing from rusty brown to black. That is all.....

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Got the frame decreased and am working on the front suspension now. I have a small bit of rust repair to do on the frame but it isn't bad really. Will post some pics later.

On a side note, been working with a Hamber on purchasing an Offenhauser dual carb intake and it looks like the deal is done as soon as the eagle flies next Thursday! Thanks goes out to bob!

volvobrynk, bobg1951chevy and pat59 like this.
  5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

The triangular piece is likely just a scrap that happened to be the right size.Allthread and pieces of plate like that are SOP for compressing coil springs.Just make sure your allthread is big enough-1\2" or larger -and your plate is thick enough-I use 1\2" plate or 2 pieces of 1\4"- and it will work fine. Looks like you are doing good!

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Found that the left lower control arm is going to have to be replaced. The metal around where the shock mount bolts on is all but gone.....Swiss cheese. If that's all I need to do to the front suspension I'll be in good shape. The bushings all seem to be in decent shape. The coil spring on that side was broken, had been cut, rusted in two...something of the sort. Found a control arm and will order it up in a few days.....once again....1 piece at a time! :)

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks steinage....I am going to pick up a piece of 1/2" all thread and some nuts and washers in the morning and get the new spring put in the right side. I have a piece of plate left over from the engine stand adapter that will be perfect for making a spring compressor.

8. You are welcome, and I say "thank you", as well. :)

9. RMONTY

RMONTY

Boring stuff but it's gotta be done. Not making as much progress as I thought I would...imagine that! But happy with everything so far......no big hurry I guess...

10. RMONTY

RMONTY

11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Any further progress?

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yeah the frame is painted, I am in the process of painting the chassis engineering brackets, have a crossmember on back order, and will be ordering up a rebuild kit for the front end tomorrow. It's moving along, but with working 6 am to 3 pm and a 1 hour commute each way, this work thing is getting in the way!! :)

Outback and brEad like this.
  13. Have now read your entire thread. WHEW !
    Your positive attitude and attention to detail will pay BIG dividends when the build is finished.
    BUT, are they EVER finished ?
    Great work, RMONTY !

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  14. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks Bob....I am going to dig out the bolts for the intake/exhaust manifolds this weekend and try on that Offy intake you sold me. Can't wait to see it on the engine.

It's supposed to be cold and raining this weekend so I should get some good shop time. Stay safe from those fires up your way!

15. Looking forward to the pics.
    Fires have been something !
    Heavy rain was supposed to arrive by now, but just some off and on sprinkles.
    Still hoping for some BIG rain.
    Thanks, RMONTY, for the good wishes.

16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

If you have the frame painted you have passed a major milestone! That frame fixing business is a LOT of work! Good for you.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. RMONTY

RMONTY

Cooler weather around here has sure got me motivated. Have made a bit of progress so I thought I would post a few pics. Comments and observations are encouraged!

IMG_6822.jpg IMG_6824.jpg IMG_6829.jpg IMG_6830.jpg IMG_6842.jpg IMG_6843.jpg Cooler weather around here has sure got me motivated. Have made a bit of progress so I thought I would post a few pics. Comments and observations are encouraged!

18. RMONTY

RMONTY

Worked this morning on a new brake pedal setup. Got it mostly fitted up but I dont want to do the final welding on the pedal perch until I get the body back on and make sure everything is lined up and everything has clearance. Thanks to the TECH that TexasHardCore did a while back. Less than $40 for a dual master cylinder setup. It turned out pretty sweet for just using some scrap plate I had laying around, a sawzall, cutoff wheel and 1/2" drill. I gotta get me a drill press! IMG_6845.jpg IMG_6844.jpg

volvobrynk and steinauge like this.
  19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Master cyl mount looks really good.The rear end install too.Pretty soon you will be driving that car!

20. RMONTY

RMONTY

Steinauge,
    I hope to be driving it before summer anyway! The M/C bracket was pretty easy. I need to get some nicopp and a double flare flaring tool and get some brake lines going.

Here is the cross member that the brown truck brung me the other day. I tried it on and it fits really good!

One piece at a time........

IMG_6849[1].JPG
    IMG_6850[1].jpg

brEad and volvobrynk like this.
  21. N.A.P.A. has a 25' coil of line that is the best I've found for double flairs. It's in there Ballcamp line of products. I can get you the actual part # if you'd like. I have been told some guys don't like the fact it's in a coil. Getting it strait seems to be beyond there capabilities. I have a very simple trick that works for me. A simple 2X4 with a proper size hole on the 3.5" side and clamped in your vice. Support the coil and draw the line through the hole. I could post up some photos if this is confusing. I do this with all sizes from 3/16" through 1/2" no problems.
    The Wizzard

dave plmley and Atwater Mike like this.
  22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Sounds like a way to go Wizzard....post up a pic of your jig. I don't want to break the bank on a flaring tool so I've been looking at the NAPA 161S. Being in the HVAC industry since my teens I have a good knowledge of flaring, just haven't done much double flaring but I ain't askeeerd of it! What's your tool of choice for flaring PnB? How do you feel about the Nicopp products? Ever tried them out?

23. Due to this weather I'm still in the house sucking Coffee. I'll go out to the shop in just a bit and get you some photos and brand names. With a good tool double flairing is no problem (if I can do it you can too).
    The Wizzard

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

No rush we are going to have temps in the 70s tomorrow and in the teens on Monday!

brEad likes this.
  25. So here's a little step by step. Like I said above, I've already heard from the "I don't like it" crowd. We don't need a recap of that, thank you. This is a rem of the 25' roll just for show.
    20161215_105147.jpg
    I like this material myself and it is Ballcamp brand from N.A.P.A. not sure who makes it for them but it makes dang nice double flairs. I always hand file the end after using a cutter to square the line then use a pin ream to clean the inside up. Square line and no burr is important. Next is just a 2X4 with a holes for 3 different tube size.
    20161215_105128.jpg
    I often get asked why I keep this junk tube vice.
    20161215_105335.jpg
    I generally have a Smart Ass answer but the fact is it makes a grate handle and that's just about all it's good for. Next I support the tube and poke the end in it's proper size hole in the wood and clamp the wood in the vice. Notice the coil is supported by a piece of round pipe.
    20161215_105516.jpg
    Next I clamp the handle on and gently pull through the wood block.
    20161215_105544.jpg
    End result is it comes out strait enough for me to use and bend as necessary. I've been doing it this way more than 40 years and just don't know any better.
    20161215_105657.jpg
    As for my flairing tool it's from Mastercool and is Hyd. I like it but have many different ones over the years. This kit does bubble flair as well as O-Ring style. I feel more important than what tool you have is knowing how to make a good flair and if that tool can do it. For a long time I used a Blue point anvil unit then moved to an aircraft style now this one.
    20161215_105959.jpg
    What I've learned is you can make a Bad flair with a good tool as well as good flair with a cheep tool as long as you practice a little on scrap to see how they work. First and foremost is a square and deburred end of your tube.
    The Wizzard

RMONTY, volvobrynk and bobg1951chevy like this.
  26. koolkemp

koolkemp

What a great project ! I love where you are going with it, I'd love the opportunity to save it and make something really cool, but then again I have a sedan delivery obsession problem! I can't wait to see the body come to life. Here's a 54 I dragged home last summer, way worse than it looks, missing lots and the frame is Swiss cheese! It needs a donor car too, but the roof is nice! It was converted to an ambulance when new.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jrs50, craig b blue and kiwijeff like this.
  27. RMONTY

RMONTY

That's going to be a sweet ride. The tail lights.....are those 54?

28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you want to run it low, you really need to "C" the frame out back!

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Yes, the tail lights are what's left of the originals.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. RMONTY

RMONTY

Been getting in some shop time.....cleaning parts, painting parts, all the good stuff. Here are some pics of the front end pieces. I have a rebuild kit on the way....it turned out to my liking. I really like the fact that it isn't blindingly shiney black. That was by design..... IMG_6892.jpg IMG_6893.jpg IMG_6894.jpg IMG_6895.jpg

brEad and koolkemp like this.