Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hand Made Intake...Webers on a 332

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Falk, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

2. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

that's going to look way cool...hope the performance matches what you want to achieve....
    your timing is spot on ,as I am planning to do a triple carb manifold for a y block if I can't locate one here,
    very thin on the ground over here in oz

3. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

I didn't leave myself too many options...LOL I milled the heads .050. The Valley cover will be the same 3/8 as the Intake top plate.Its going to take awhile to get it together yet though.

dana barlow likes this.

4. mikecain

mikecain

what size webers are you using. they look like IDF's.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If you keep the intake design like that of other IR, individual runners, you will not be over carbed. If you build the this intake with a plenum like that of a tunnel ram, you will likely have too much carb.

6. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

If you only milled 0.050 and want to use a stock fitting intake you could have the intake side of the heads milled. A good machinist will have a chart that can be used to figure how much by the angle of the intake to head gasket surface. Yours looks pretty square in the picture so that would mean you take off the same 0.050 but you would have to check to be sure. I like the style intake you are building but would mill the heads any way because plans change with time.

7. CBurne7

CBurne7

Freakin awesome.

8. HiHelix

HiHelix

He could do this himself..... Simple Trigonometry... or if you have a simple cad software you can do it even easier by drawing the needed triangles in full scale and angles... very simple.

9. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

AERA put out a chart I wish I would have kept it when the shop closed. I let the smart people do the math part

10. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

These are IDF 40mm Carbs. I am not sure whether to leave the runners up into the plenum as it is now...or to flush them with the intake base.
    I wont be welding it up until next week or the week after....so I have some time to kick it around.

11. glrbird

glrbird

If it is for show and not GO, it is ok like it is, other wise they need to be flush and radius the edges. Flow likes smooth round corners and no protrusions, looks good though.

12. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

It will certainly be for go..LOL . The car will be my daily driver again...so reliability and power definatly matter.The body will wait until next fall. I still have to get a cam Reground and get the Crank welded...that happens next week.

13. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

Would it make sense then to divide the inside of the plenum into Quarters...1 carb for each runner....I would guess with a small hole to balance the 4 quarters...

14. Looks incredible, just great!!

15. Be ware, Weber's on an IR manifold (Which is how that style Weber works best) should have the throttle blades as close to the valve as possible for street driving. Long individual runners like you've shown have less air flow velocity, a weaker carb signal, and more throttle lag and part throttle drive-ability issues. Leave the Tunnel ram look to the full on racer who is running at 6,000 rpm or better.
    A plenum style manifold with the 44 IDF's will be way over carb and you won't overcome that even with the smallest chokes (venturi's) available.

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

Perhaps I will re-think this and set the carbs as low as possible...the baseplates are built...so maybe 2 log manifolds would be better

17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

What motor are we looking at, pontiac?

18. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

Its a 1959 Lincoln 332 Y Block

19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Try Hogan sheet metal? You might also ask Jim Inglese if there are cast manifolds out there. 0ace82e4-86ce-4eff-add0-792d.jpg

timmy2times, Ron Falk and saltflats like this.
  20. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

At least the Lincoln Y has a more standard port configuration. Shouldn't be too hard to fab up a simple log style IR manifold for Webers. Don't throw the tunnel ram out. Finish welding it for a pair of dual 4 bbl's and have fun at the track on the weekends.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That is a thing of beauty there.

22. You did a nice job. Looks awesome

23. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

I will be separating the runners from the plenum and shortening the runners this next week.. The Carb baseplates are done..so I will work off of those and the head plates...and weld up runners as I go..but try to keep it as short as I can.
    That 292/312 Intake is beautiful!!!I will post progress soon!

Tim and falcongeorge like this.
  24. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes, should bring even the most hardened "traditionalists" to their knees!

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Good job OP, you are gonna be SO HAPPY you got rid of the plenum, you are on the right track now. I had posted earlier, but so many guys on here just want affirmation, not information, so I deleted it. You never know why someone is asking, and its just not worth the grief.
    One other thing, just for future reference. glrbrid has already hinted at it, if function matters, you don't want to leave a sharp edge on a runner divider. You want to shoot for about a half inch radius if you have room.

27. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

28. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

I took the plenum out...and spent alot of time shortening the runners...its not perfect...and I will need to mount a top plate to make it ridgid...but its much much lower.

Attached Files:

29. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Ron, you are now headed in the right direction. Weber carbs can be tuned to any engine. I bought a Inglese manifold for my 231 Buick engine which was not modified at the time. I changed the chokes and jetting and it ran just like it had stock. I didn't have the expectation that the Webers would magically transform the engine. Then after a total rebuild (10:1, cam,) l was amazed that changing the chokes and jetting made this engine very reliable. I figured that with the high compression and cam timing I would spend a lot of time searching for gas. Come to find out IR allows you a fudge factor there. Two years later and 30000 plus miles the only problems have been the fuel contamination and cooling (rusty gas tank and big engine in small space) solved with tank liner and louvers. My experience, and it is very limited, is that you don't need the biggest choke this carb will take to run great. Mine are 40mm IDAs and are at 34mm chokes. With the stock engine they ran great with 26mm chokes.
    Hope this helps and keep on going. You won't regret it
    Greg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Ron Falk likes this.