Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New member new car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Molinellihornet, Oct 30, 2016.

1. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What Latigo said!

2. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Welcome to the HAMB from western Colorado.....nice car, .....and great shape for it's age and sitting....you got a sweet, complete car, and I totally love those Hudson steering wheels.... you are gonna get some serious onlookers anytime you drive that car, and at EVERY service station fill-up;)

triman62 likes this.
  3. How can I switch the title so people can follow my build once I get going in a couple of weeks

Sent from my SM-G903W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I got the hudson back to my shop today in calgary. Going to wash as much of the crud off tomorow before I tow her home....Lots of things I've realized lol no brake pedal pressure at all and no breaks ...found the resevoir under the floor and it's missing it's cap

5. Also none of the doors seem to shut tight and all the locks seem to be frozen .....I got the trunk to close tight after spraying with pb blaster

6. Other then that you can tell from the picture that I'm super excited to have my car here finally

7. tractorguy

tractorguy

Nice, complete old Hudson. When you are ready.......lots of old Nascar Hudson high performance heritage out there. If you keep the 6 volt system, find a battery with the highest CCA .....Cold Cranking Amps that you can. Also, very clean connections......grounds.....star washers.....and last but not least.....new positive and negative copper cables with 0 or 00 rating. There are already threads on here about 6 volt cranking technology. Have fun.

8. Should I use 0 Guage copper wire for my terminal cables and positive ground strap ?? This way I could just buy 30 ft and make my own lol

9. gatz

gatz

On your first post, look to the upper right. Click on Thread Tools > EDIT TITLE
    Change what you want, then click SAVE CHANGES

10. Man-O-man I love me a hudson. Keep us posted on progress duder.

11. Good lookin' girl you have there!!

BTW...Do you have the original wheel covers? Can you shoot a pic and post it here? I'm looking for a set of covers with the "H" in the center....

12. tractorguy

tractorguy

Yes, you can use 0 or 00 for both ground and starter cables. You can buy in bulk if you feel confident putting proper ends on and doing the soldering. I have had good luck at our NAPA store which can make up the proper gauge, solder the proper ends and put proper sleeves over terminal ends. 00 and 0 cable is also available at welding supply stores. Have fun.

13. Great car there! I remember those as a kid. Take it slow and eventually you can cruze it down the street. Plenty stares and thumbs up!

14. I wish I had the caps lol but I'm hunting

15. 2 cans of comet 6 sos pads and 8 green scotch brite pads and lots of elbow grease and a electric power washer and the old girl is starting to shine a bit

16. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

image.png
    I really like those body styles. I had a 53 two door Hornet about 10 years ago. Had a 455/400 combo in it. Chopped, shaved, Pontiac grill, hood rounded. Nice custom was always asked, hey what year is your Merc. Eventually ended up with plates that read "8NOMERC".

17. Hey Jeff, welcome to the HAMB!
    Lots of good info and help here!

I just have a little advice.
    Remember the feelings you had when you got it.
    Remember the feelings you had after you cleaned it up.
    Your grin tells a lot!
    My advice is simple:
    Get it to run, drive and stop.
    Try to enjoy the thrills of your find.
    Resist the urge to start tearing it apart
    to start rebuilding and or restoring,
    until you decide where to actually go with it.
    Those happy smiles turn to frowns rather easilly.
    Just my $.02.
    Enjoy the ride!!

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D The old girl is cleaning up real good.Thanks for posting.Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  19. Truly amazing words that I will stay true to. Thanks

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  20. mike bowling

mike bowling

Welcome from Mass.
    The Old Girl looks great- I freakin' love the steering wheel and dash in that beauty!
    First car my Old Man ever bought new was a Hudson Jet.

See if you can find "Aero-Kroil" anywhere- "the oil that creeps". Stuff is AMAZING to loosen rust .

21. Hey Mike,
    If Jeff polishes that dash he's gonna need some Ray-Ban sun glasses!!
    Does that Kroil stuff help arthritis??

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. What do you think , some good old turtle wax for the dash??? Or more of a polishing compound?

24. Hey Jeff,
    Here's one from the thread above!
    Go real easy on the dash don't try to polish it to roughly, and don't use
    anythig abrasive. the paint on the dash is probably in way better shape than the outside.
    putnams yard 11-5-16 042.jpg

Dodgejodge likes this.
  25. I don't know too much about older bias ply tires but my 2 front tires are scarey bad .....having trouble finding affordable vintage style tires but I have these radials kicking around from a old project 225.75.15 ..can radials be mounted on original bias ply rims ?

Attached Files:

26. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton