Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods AUCTION ROADSTER/How to put 32 firewall in 30/31

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Oct 2, 2016.

1. All great finds there ..... looking forward to the roadster's progress ...

2. Mo rust

Mo rust

We managed to get the roadster body pulled. blue1.JPG

Attached Files:

spurgeonforge, bali-rod and dwollam like this.
  3. mike bowling

mike bowling

An early Merry Christmas to you- you hit the MOTHERLODE!!
    That little roadster is the CAT'S ASS!! ( weird term used in the East for pisser)
    Congratulations!

biggeorge, Steve Ray and JRogers9 like this.
  4. Mo rust

Mo rust

5. Mo rust

Mo rust

The roadster is coming along. I'll include some pictures of the 32 firewall being fitted too.

6. Mo rust

Mo rust

We trimmed off part of the 30/31 cowl front lip and cut the bottom 1 1/4 inches off the 32 firewall feet and set it in place with the model A remaining edge over the 32 firewall and clamp it in place. We will weld it together from here and use the 32 front edge to set the hood on should we decide to run one. r5.JPG r6.JPG r4.JPG

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Bitchen roadster and thanks for sharing the post on the 1932 firewall

8. Mo rust

Mo rust

Next we're going to add a 1936 Ford roadster dash. I've never seen one in a Model A so it should be different.

61Lancerwagon likes this.
  9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wow a 1936 roadster dash is a rare piece with only 3862 deluxe made

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, that is turning into one nice hot rod. The side profile just flat rocks.

11. brady1929

brady1929

Your roadster is bitchin

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

Now THAT'S nice. Great work, thanks for sharing it with us.

13. Mo rust

Mo rust

The dash mocked into place r7.jpg

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Never considered a Deuce firewall in an 'A' before... "It just wouldn't fit!" Fit is superb, looks just sooo smooth.

Great insight. '36 dash will make it look 'sculpted'. Just raise the rear a little, please.

15. studebaker46

studebaker46

you totally nailed the look of that roadster. you took it from an interesting survivor to a great hot rod. Tom

16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The dash looks sweet and looks factory! I am digging the thread with a 31 roadster body in the rafters . It may have to come down and follow your specs, awesome build!

17. Mo rust

Mo rust

I've got a 32 heavy beam out being dropped 5 inches. Once we get it back, we can mock it all up and see where the front sits and then decide where the back needs to go.

18. Mo rust

Mo rust

I piled the rest of the tin in my barn and it would make a great jig saw puzzle picture. garage.JPG

19. Now this is bad ass kool........I would like to have scored this one myself...I like the direction you are going with it.....

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Am I missing something here, but aren't all you are using from a complete roadster is a body? Why destroy a survivor hot rod instead of just getting a body somewhere?

Nailhead A-V8 and 66gmc like this.
  21. Mo rust

Mo rust

Actually that is a good question. The "survivor" that I am pulling the body from had a home made frame made of 3 inch round pipe (seriously) and had 3/8 and 1/2 inch steel plate welded all over it for brackets and other crap.. It had a 57 Chevy rearend and 283 motor with an iron powerglide that I am saving for future use. I'm using the good parts on this build and setting aside the butchered up mess for something else. (maybe someday)

Nailhead A-V8 and Blues4U like this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

From what you started with there is only good that has come. (can't remember who said that, but it FITS!)
    Thoroughly impressed with your insight, can't get over that firewall! Glad you shared it here, the right place.
    Uhh...'Destroy a good hot rod?' No, ya didn't. Heck no!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great project, nobody will notice the rear kickup will they? I'm really amazed what you have done in six weeks. Bob

24. Mo rust

Mo rust

The rear kick up will all be inside the rumble seat area so it won't show from the outside. I'll have a gas tank there too so there won't be a lot of room for groceries in the rumble seat with the lid closed.

On another subject,I've never understood why people think they need to pinch 32 rails together in the back (or the front) when putting 30/31 bodies on 32 rails. This is our 5th one and we always use stock width rails and stock front and rear spreader bars. (except when we cut the rear frame horns off) This is our first one to kick up like this but it still works great for width.

25. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I agree. And you have a great eye. It's not like you cut up the Doane Spencer car here, the thing was not too cool to start, it was an old shot rod. Props to you for doing the car justice and building what someone wish they could have all those years ago.

spurgeonforge and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. LTM75110

LTM75110

Great save, Will be watching. Looks like you found a good use for an old VW jack. I`ll have to try that ,as I have several..

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. Mo rust

Mo rust

That volkswagon jack is one of my fathers favorite tools.. in addition to a brick hammer.

Atwater Mike and manx4me like this.
  28. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I saw the first photos of the car, I was skeptical, but that 3/4 rear view now with those wheels is totally bitchen' !! Can't wait to see what you do with this...

29. Mo rust

Mo rust

We had a 32 cowl vent lid that we decided to use so we split some 3/4 inch tubing and made a trough and welded it in. We added a cowl vent to the 31 roadster that we built back in 98 and you would be surprised how much cool air it will pull in on your feet on a hot day. cowl.jpg

30. nice Vision on this roadster.
    well done