Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Dodge Identification Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32fordrat, Aug 21, 2011.

1. 32fordrat

32fordrat

I just purchased this 1940 Dodge 5 window business coupe.
    I found an old insurance card in it which list it as model D14
    Number found on engine block matches vin# P24*581403
    Head number 1405849

Can anyone point me in the right direction for correct information.

Thanks Joe

P.S. This car has been in storage since the 90's. It appears to be all original, but was told that the exterior was repainted in the 80's.

Attached Files:

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

No help here,but I will say thats a pretty slick ole ride.
    Congrats!

3. NateSedan

NateSedan
    from Oregon

4. squirrel

squirrel

P24 would be a 1953 plymouth engine? hmmmm....that's what's on the title too?

D14 is what it should be

5. 32fordrat

32fordrat

Yes looking at the vin number on the title right now, It starts out p24.
    From what I could find so far I was thinking the same until I noticed that the number matches the vin??????

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. squirrel

squirrel

Interesting. The VIN should be stamped on the left frame rail, near the rear wheel arch.

Sounds like it was titled by the engine number, and the title was changed to reflect the new engine number after the engine was changed.

7. 32fordrat

32fordrat

Ok will have to check, There appears to be an id tag on the drivers side firewall. I will have to try to read that tag also. Will the stamping be on the inside of the frame rail or the outer side. The title states the prior state of title was WI.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I think the number is on the outside of the frame rail.

9. 73RR

73RR

Some states, in years past, used the engine number on the title...a PITA when you changed engines.
    Check with your DMV to get a current title with the door tag info.

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

D14 was the Chrysler engineering code for 1940 models there was also a D15 but that was an export model. As noted many states used engines numbers for registration and titling, most had some procedure for dealing with this whe engines were swapped.

usually there will be a number stamped in the drivers side frame rail that corresponds to the engine number.

But Chrylser tracked cars by serial number which should be a on a plate on the A pillar between the door hinges (some on the right, some on the left) and some states used these numbers for ownership documents.

Looks like your car got an engine swap to a 53 Plymouth motor somewhere along the way, and the owner was concientious and reported the swap to the DMV and they updated the number on the ownership docs.

The engines are the same mehanically, some of the accessories might be different, but it was very common in the day to swap a worn out engine for a junkyard fresh one, or one that was rebuilt by any number of sources.

Was much cheaper and much quicker to a swap than to have a rebuild done. Your Dodges original engine was rated at 87 hp and the 53 Plymouth at 100, so your horses ahead.

If you want to know all the whys and wherefores of your Dodge, send the serial number, and 50 bucks or so to the chrysler historical folks at the Chrysler Museum, and they will send you back a facsimile of the build car. Which will show original numbers for frame and body, and tell you where and when the car was built and what dealer it was originally sent to.

Whe ordering parts you will need to refer to distributor number, genny number. The rest just buy for 53 Plymouth.

The head number is just a casting number, and may or may not be original to the engine. Post some pics of the engine when you get a chance.

Nice looking coupe some trim rings and spyders or baby moons will fix it up for starters.

What part of PA are you from??? There are several members of the P15 D 24 forum in Pa. maybe some one close. Also the leading MOPAR flat 6 guru Geroge Asche lives in Venus Pa in the Pittsburg area.

11. 32fordrat

32fordrat

Ok thanks for the help and information. I found the tag on the passenger side post #30246824. Will get some pics of the engine soon. Got the water pump and carb off now.

12. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

any recent up dates on this topic? i also have a 40 coupe

13. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Try the p15/d24 forum

http://p15-d24.com

15. mike casey

mike casey

looking for info on 1940 dodge coupe numbers on fire wall and door fire wall numbers are 6641 and p2 and a id plate says 2750ASC and on right door says 30255783

16. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, it is a 1940 dodge D14 Deluxe. According to the serial number from the right door jamb

[​IMG]

17. mike casey

mike casey

chris' 38 likes this.
  18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 40 and previous owner titled it to the tag on the a pillar post...

19. Mengestwinspeedshop

Mengestwinspeedshop
    from Santa Rosa

I have 2 40 dodges and they both used the engine number for the vin on the title. I changed it to door jam tag since the original motor is not in it anymore and the other one I am going to stamp a new tag with the engine number.

20. US 1940 Dodges were available as both D14 and D17 Series, the D15 was the Plymouth based shorter chassis built in the US for export version.....that 1940 Dodge Coupe ID plate "2750ASC" refers to it being an Auxillary Seat Coupe, that is it has the folding rear seat and is NOT a Business Coupe as most are normally called........I had a 1941 Plymouth P11 ASC Coupe, it also had that ID plate located on the US drivers side of the upper firewall........have attached a pic of the Oz built D15 Dodge Sedan I have had since 1971 and also the 1941 Plymouth Coupe I had from 2007 to 2013.......regards, Andy Douglas

Attached Files:

21. Chazkujo

Chazkujo
    from Colorado

Glad to see more antique dodge folks out there. I have a D-14 for which I have no title. Original owner died, his brother was personal representative and ended up with the car, but never found his brothers title for the car. Some years later he moved to Colorado, where it sat in a field for years till I bought it from him. The deceased brother lived in one state and worked in neighboring state, and living brother doesn't know which state his brother titled the car in. Anyone know how to do serial number search for title history? Any info would be helpful.

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

Chazkujo, I would start with your home state division of motor vehicle's website and see what your options are. In IL you can get a bonded title for your car if the guy you bought it from will write out a receipt and there is a serial number on the car. There are a few more steps, but its not that hard, or expensive. This stuff varies from state to state, you have to do what your state requires, but there are usually a few options. Gene

23. Chazkujo

Chazkujo
    from Colorado