Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What is important to you when attending a car show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tommyk74, Nov 6, 2016.

1. I hate it when some spectator basically deems my car a "rat rod" because it's not a numbers matching resto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donald A. Smith and clunker like this.
  2. We all have our preferences, I dislike street rods and brand new new cars the most, but I wouldn't wan't them excluded from a show. When I'm not interested in a thread or post here I S.O.B (scroll on bye), when I'm at a show I W.O.B (walk on bye). It is nice when they are in groups so you can go where you want.

My thought is that; if we all went to a big show together that only had cars that "I" was interested in, you guys would be bored to tears, and most of you would be pissed off, and I would probably get locked in a porta-potty.

10,000 people don't go to a show to "sit around and shoot the shit" with your old buddies, so it's nice to have some interesting things going on.

I also don't wanna have to explain to my 10 year old daughter why she can't wear her underwear and high heels in public and writhe all over someone's car in the Walmart parking lot. Or why she needs to study in school. And "yes", absolutely she can be an astronaut or professional baseball player if she wants to instead of prancing around to impress some dudes.

But there is a way everyone can be happy if there's variety of all of this, and I understand this thread is about our opinions so here are my three:

1. Inclusive atmosphere that makes me feel welcome. (I am interested in everyone's hard work, and appreciate people showing it to us.)

2. If there's cool stuff going on in addition to cars; like food, games, live music (not too loud), that makes it a fun time for us.

3. I do have little kids, and if there's stuff going on that's offensive, it's just not fun for us, and we gotta go.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  3. Port- a- johns, dry weather, some food, and no dogs allowed.

4. what he said X2

jimmy six likes this.
  5. caton462

caton462

Most of the shows in our area have trouble getting participants to stay past judging. If the show is 10:00 to 6:00 and the judging is at 2:00 there are few left past 3:00. Does little to further interest from spectators. I invite some people to experience my cars inside and out. Spend some time with a kid, build some interest , good for all.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

One thing that always bugs me at a car shows; is there some law I don't know about that says all post 1949 cars have to have their hoods open? Nothing ruins the look of a car like an open hood. Bob

X38, jim snow, 50Fraud and 1 other person like this.
  7. I went to one on Sunday at Belmont Race Track (horse racing). $9 to get in, porta-crappers, a Mr. Softee truck, a live band that wasn't annoying but no food to be had. There weren't many cars that I liked, had a great conversation with a fellow '59 Ford owner which may have been the highlight of my day.

Lots of '70's to '80's Caddys parked together, some newer Mustangs and Corvettes. A few RR cars, some '32 Fords, Tri-Chevys that were nice. The trophy whores were out in force, those guys had their back seats lined with prizes of past shows. TOO MANY cry baby dolls.

The swap meet part was pretty good, not that much household crap to look at, lots of car parts and tools. Me and my brother picked up a few things between us. It was a nice sunny day to be outside, those who sat around all day were cold. I still prefer a busy cruise night over a show like this one.

8. RR

RR

1. Lots of pre 72 cars and trucks. Nothing after that interests me.
    2. Weather/ shade. If it is going to be miserably hot or cold, I'll stay home.
    3. Cost. I can't see going to a show that is outrageously expensive (i.e. any of the Goodguys shows- they freaking charge more to spectate than I pay to enter most shows).

That said, I don't go to any shows. I do go to car cruises (the bigger ones like Cruisin the Coast). I am not interested in staying in one spot all day or a cheap little plastic trophy. I appreciate all the compliments but just like to be part of the crowd and look at others cars and trucks. And a good swap meet really helps draw me.

jim snow likes this.
  9. HiHelix

HiHelix

I hate car shows. Typically you see people sitting by their car waiting for compliments...very pretentious for the most part.Hey you have a great car... great.. drive it .. Hot rods are best in motion. Maybe its just me being and old goat but... I build what I build because I like it not because someone will go gooo- gooo about it... Sure there is a certain amount of pride is taken in your car... but begging for the admiration is a but silly... Drive your car and take it to places you like I'm sure someone will compliment you on your work if it warrants it.

clunker likes this.
  10. ................I can certainly understand but, you have to take into consideration that not everyone lives within half an hour of the particular show. If the show promoter wants to draw cars from other than the immediate area, he needs to wrap it up at a sensible time. If I drive 50-100 miles to an event (1-3 hours), I'm not hanging around 'till dusk to depart and wind up driving home in the dark with all of the risks involved with that. My 65 year old eyes and reaction time aren't like they were when I was 25.:)

pat59, wraymen and HiHelix like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Soooo tired of events that have the whole fuzzy dice/poodle skirt/sock hop theme.
    I know, to each their own, but can we also at least get some ZZ Top and AC/DC music instead of Elvis and Buddy Holly all day/weekend long.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X3 .if there are dogs no leashes and open betting on the fighting

HiHelix and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I'm with my car and see a person taking photos I ask if the would like the hood down and if they say yes I do it. Being friendly is always best.

15. I have to agree with the member that pointed out the new mustangs, Challengers and Camaros not to mention PT Crusers showing up.

A case in point our club hosted a show in conjunction with a art & craft festival but after almost 20 years the festival promoters a car show.

They decided they could do a better job promoting than a car club and they contacted us and said our services were no longer needed,we had a 40 year cut off,the promoters opened it up to any new car.

It's a shame this old show has turned into a for profit deal,we charged 1o bucks and you got a free t-shirt,had a 50 % chance of winning a door prize,top 20 plaques that the participants picked and this dhow grew to be a big deal locally.

I attended the show this year,the promoters seem to like new cars and rat rods,the attendance was way down,top 20 awards saw 4 very nice older cars win,the rest we rr and cars less than 10 years old.

I'm done with shows like this,I will stick to what I enjoy and add a few era specific shows to my list of shows in the future. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. HiHelix

HiHelix

One thing I like to see at any show is Beer

wraymen and GreenMonster48 like this.
  17. When I was in my teens (early 1990's) I remember gathering in crowds at the end of the parking lot heckling people to get them to do burnouts leaving cruise night. Plenty of people roasted the tires leaving, and it was cool. No one got hurt. Now car shows/cruise nights on the whole are a bunch of old duds and litigious nanny-staters frowning and throwing up "you burn out, you stay out" signs.
    Wanna get me to smile? light'em up. Lose the stupid goddamned oldies (Little Nash Rambler-Beep! Beep!). There's a point where family-friendly becomes corny as hell (and I have two small children).

If you're gonna have a car show with rules, ENFORCE THEM. Nothing worse than seeing 'Strictly enforced cut off year Pre-64' and telling your friends they can't bring their ride, but the school-bus yellow '69 Mustang gets a free pass for some reason?

wraymen likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Danny
    You don't even want to get me started on those hideous things!

19. HiHelix

HiHelix

20. I feel that a good car show should have three things,1)location such as a fairground or park,2)music ,like a dj or live band, and last but by no means least,entry fee, what do you,the participant or spectator get for paying the fee (i.e. Raffle prizes,event t-shirt,etc..)also is the event for profit or charity. Before you do attend an event check it out and then decide if you're going to attend

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. robracer1

robracer1

There are PT Cruisers still running? Well I'll be damned

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Entry fees can be a double edged sword of sorts, and many people have different views on the subject. I do think they help keep the Riff Raff out (oops, maybe WE are them).
    It's the ones with nothing better to do, bringing kids on bikes, scratching cars, never paying their share or contributing to the hobby.

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  23. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I started a business. It was set up as a strip club with lots of naked ladies. I decided to charge the ladies to take their clothes off for the spectators.....the business went busted. Where did I go wrong?

falcongeorge, 50Fraud and wraymen like this.
  24. Your music was too loud, I couldn't chat with the waitress(sarcasm). Actually I don't know what happened, I was there every night.:)

25. We all seem to be an agreement here for the most part.
    Number one for me is lose the music and DJ all together.

j3harleys and HiHelix like this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have to go along with HRP in that a lot of the little local shows put on by local civic outfits tend to blow it with their
    open registration allowing anything in. They think is a success because the late model brigade with their just off the showroom floor super cars show up and shell out and the mouthbreathers get all excited over seeing Hemi Chargers and rat rods but for real car folk it is a waste. Saves a lot of time taking photos of the real cars in the event though as I can walk past the "should be out in the parking lot" stuff and take photos and go home.

27. 117harv

117harv

I like it better when we talk about hotrods and customs and not shows, best tools, snow tires....

Bandit Billy and jim snow like this.
  28. HiHelix

HiHelix

I hate it when a business has a " carshow." ... Hey I have an Idea I have a bar so lets exploit someones hard work and money for our own intrest.... uuuuuuuuuuuuughh
    PT= POTTY TRAINING

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:confused:

I gotta get the definitive answer on "how to wash a barn find".

30. 117harv

117harv

Some folks here think this is their stand up comedy stage, with OT comments back and fourth, lots in common with Facebook. The same members will post over and over on threads they know will be deleted, seems they just want to get their say before it's zapped.

I have several friends/members here who have quit posting and some who don't visit anymore, sad. I have stated this in the past, I meet folks in the car hobby and try and I try and spread the HAMB gospel, more than half the time they say, F that place, bunch of Aholes there. :( I know that's not true, but you only get one chance to make a first impression.

dumprat and jim snow like this.