Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New member new car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Molinellihornet, Oct 30, 2016.

1. 20161029_093509.jpg HI all , names jeff and I just purchased my 1st vintage project a 1951 hudson hornet . car was last registered very 25 years ago and hasn't Ran since the late 90s . thought the motor was seized because I tried to turn the fan blade and wouldn't budge so I turned the crank and it spins but the generator won't lol . this is my first hudson and first classic so I have some questions like should I pull the head off to see the shape of the cylinder walls before attempting of start? or should I just squirt oil down the cylinder ? are generators easy to rebuild if they are seized ? and other then cleaning the carb and the fuel tank are there any other steps I should take . I know I need to find a new 6v battery and positive ground strap . any other suggestions would be awsome

52Muntz and triman62 like this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Good stuff. No need to pull the head at this point. Ask questions and read read read/ learn learn learn. Check the condition of the oil, check for signs of large amounts of water or antifreeze in it. The engine can be started without the generator but you need to go over it with a fine tooth comb before attempting to fire it off. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't feel embarrassed about not knowing something. We all want you to succeed! Post some pics of the exterior and interior to generate interest. Don't get in too big of a hurry. Haste breeds mistakes!

3. Cool car, welcome from Southern MN!

4. 'Mo

'Mo

No personal experience, but I know some guys run 8 Volt (tractor) batteries in their six volt cars, for a little extra cranking power. You may want to check it out.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    283john likes this.

5. Tractor Supply has 6 volt batts

Joe Mammana likes this.
  6. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That's one of the most corroded batteries I've seen in a while. Where are you from? Please post more pics of the car. Good luck....

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome ! Enjoy your project !

8. Positive ground corroded right off lol

quickrack-alan likes this.
  9. Welcome to the Hamb.
    I own a couple of Hudson's, so I'm a little biased, although I'm a fan of most modified cars.
    What's your plans for this ol beast?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. scotts52

scotts52

Welcome to the HAMB. Looking forward to following. I have a 52 project myself. Hope to get it on the road in the next couple years.

triman62 likes this.
  11. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

Sweet project. If I ever build my A or T model woody station car,I'd like to have an old flat head six in it.

12. Welcome to us guys throwing money at old cars.LOL. Cool start.Post some pictures when you get a chance. Bruce.

Jugornot likes this.
  13. triman62

triman62

Welcome, glad to see another Hudson project.

14. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

I started a 41 Hudson that hadn't run in 10 years. We squirt some mystery oil in each cylinder and let it sit overnight. Turned the motor over with the starter and new 6 volt battery. Did a compression test and pressure was low, squirt some 30 weight in and tried again. Rings will be very dry and need to lessened up to build compression.

I did drain the oil and refilled with clean oil before starting. Once we were able to get it running we dropped the pan and cleaned the sludge out... wasn't too bad.

Hudson motors are simple to work on and if there is nothing major wrong with it it should start up relatively easy. Go online and look for a repair manual for your model. I think I gave $20 bucks for an original manual for mine. Seek out members of the Hudson Essex Terraplane club (HET) online, there may be a chapter near you.

BTW, you can crank over the motor with a twelve volt, just avoid cranking it too long.

The typically problems you'll encounter trying to get it started will be:
    All the general issues with starting a car that's been sitting...
    Fuel pump not working (replace or bypass with an electric pump and an inline fuel pressure regulator before the carb)
    Bad fuel (use a gas can straight to fuel pump line)
    Carb
    Points stuck

czuch, BradinNC and rodncustomdreams like this.
  15. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looks like a good project. Welcome to the board!

16. welcome.....and slow and easy like was said.....pour some Marvell Mystery oil in it and let it sit.....when you first crank it over have the plugs out....might shoot some oil out but that's part of the fun....

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  17. Just getting ready to bring her home next weekend...1st things fist going to give her a comet bath and power wash her lol lots of rat droppings to get out of the trunk lol

Sent from my SM-G903W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and triman62 like this.
  18. Get the engine and drive train dialed in . Re do brakes suspension and tires and daily drive it as much as I can looking old and patina the way it is lol but clean

triman62 and kiwijeff like this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Expect curious onlookers and thumbs ups.

oneratfink57 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

That is a really complete car, for it's age, and never being restored.

Molinellihornet likes this.
  21. Previous owner bought it as a parts for car for his 52 but said it was to complete to part out . I had a add on kijiji looking for a hornet . He said he bought it from the original family hasn't been on the road for 30 plus years and hasn't run in about 10 but they said it did run ....fingers crossed

BradinNC, kiwijeff and Loose Ctrl like this.
  22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Have you tried rotating the engine by hand to see if it's free and not seized?

23. Yeah the guy I bought it off of thought it was seized beca8se he couldn't move the fan so I hooked a jumped the starter with a fresh battery and she started to crank buy it seems the gen might be seized ?? Will find out in one week when I get it over here

24. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

If it moved and then went tight,it may just have stuck rings from rust,or the engine may have went tight from all the oil draining to the pan.I'd do an inexpensive dime store oil change and put a little oil down the cylinders.Then prime the engine through the distributor or oil pump drive.I'm not sure if that possible on the flat six,but I'd try it before spinning it over with the starter motor.

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This looks like fun.I`ll saddle up for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

26. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking car . Welcome to the HAMB . Make it safe , get it on the road and enjoy.

27. No Ithink spins over but seems the generator might be seized and that's why the fan and belt wouldn't move . Hopefully I can free it up

28. scotts52

scotts52

You might consider changing the title so that other Hudson lovers might see it and be able to follow along. That or start a new thread.

29. Latigo

Latigo

That 6 V generator probably has small oil caps on each end. When you're Mystery Oiling the cylinders put a few drops in those as well. Might get lucky and break it loose.