Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Will a Model A sedan fit on a '70s T bird chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66gmc, Aug 6, 2016.

1. 66gmc

66gmc

Basically I started by picking where i thought the highest crown would be on the panel. Then I took a marker and drew a smaller square in that area. Then I expanded out about 2" and drew a larger square, and so on until i had a bullseye type grid on the panel.
    Then I started cross wheeling in the small square using light pressure, and worked my way out into each larger square, still going over the smaller squares with each pass. I repeated that several times until i felt there was enough crown in the panel. Then I clamped the panel in place and marked out the upper bodyline, then ran it through the bead roller.
    After that I clamped the panel on again, and marked out the external dimensions of it, then lightly scribed the line using a zip disc, then i folded the edges over using a hammer and dolly (I dont have a tipping die) and shrinker/stretched them to the correct contour of the rear body. At that point I realized the crown of the panel was still too low, so I had to go back and wheel it some more. Then there was a whole bunch of finess work with a hammer and dolly, and lots and lots of test fitting.
    Someone who knows what they are doing could probably build that panel like it was nothing and have it come out perfect. but I am just learning as I go.
    [​IMG]

2. 66gmc

66gmc

Spent a bunch of time bending, twisting, pulling, hammering and doing a couple relief cuts to get everything squared up on the body, then I added some bracing. The last guy didnt brace anything before he chopped it so it was a real mess. I also suspect this thing got rolled on its roof at some point because the b and C pillars were tweaked.
    [​IMG]

Here are some pictures of the fine workmanship from the last guy. There were 1/2" differences in the amount taken out, and of course none of the cuts were made in the same spot from side to side. I also have no idea what he was trying to do on the back of the roof, thats 14 gauge plate he welded in behind there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meth is one hell of a drug.

4. What a mess your working with.
    Great save!

5. 66gmc

66gmc

And the roof is off!. From what I can tell this thing was chopped somewhere between 3.5 to 4". I decided seeing as I am going to all the effort to fix this worthless body, I might as well have some fun and give it a more radical chop. I am going to remove another 1.5", which should work out to a 5 1/2" chop. Even with the extra material taken out I am still going to have to build a few patches to repair the damage done by the last guy.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments! They keep me motivated to work on this thing.

pat59, kiwijeff, tomkelly88 and 2 others like this.
  6. LBCD

LBCD

You are doing a great job of saving this thing...I'm sure with the 5.5" chop you will be able to turn it and make a few $$$...the saying goes for the Anycar...light it on fire and put it out with a brick.

Sent from my QMV7A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Thanks for taking the time to explain your process. Great looking RPU as well!

8. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Mmm ! T burd BS 9'' narrowed maybe a big block ford haul the rest to scrap yard buy some tubing build a chassis this car is looking good !

9. 66gmc

66gmc

Between work and school the past couple months I have barely had a chance to touch this thing. Now winter is almost here and I need it out of the garage. Now that I have some more free time again I was able to make a bit of progress.
    Roof tacked back together, The chop works out to 5 1/4"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Splicing together the frankenstein mess at the back
    [​IMG]
    And I got both A pillars sliced and lined up and welded back together this afternoon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I can get the rest of the welding done on the roof this week.

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Great work! You did good saving that poor ol' thing. And thanks for keeping us up on the progress .

11. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

Nice save. Subscribed

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice work on the door posts, I like the dropped rear window too. Bob

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Do it like a surgeon, man. Great save.

14. Roadsterholic

Roadsterholic

The Title made me laugh, and could not wait to read responses! Outstanding metal work you are doing.

15. gatz

gatz

great work !

kinda like that hinge pin

16. williebill

williebill

Very nice work.

17. Nothing like having skills. Great job. Can you come by my place when you finish? Got a little metal work that needs your skills.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. mike bowling

mike bowling

This work entitles you to the esteemed position of"Resurrection Man".

(In other words, nice f*#@ing job!!)

19. john dioli

john dioli

Great thread and nice job on the build
    John

20. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Really great work. A lot of people wouldn't have given that bastard body another chance. Nice save.

21. Thanks for posting! Beautiful metalwork, helpful explanations, and a sense of humor (the title).

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wow, nice save!

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whats really hilarious is, I opened this thread about two months ago, ready to say "Are you shittin' me??!!" read the whole thread. saw it again today, and opened thinking the same thing, forgot I had already read it. GREAT title, the shock effect wiped my memory bank clean!

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Good gawd man, with your skills, I can't believe you even considered doing anything other than what you have done.
    Not only have you saved that poor Model A, you also redeemed yourself and this thread.
    Great work.

25. 66gmc

66gmc

Thanks again for the compliments.
    Small update: I got the drivers side roof corner welded up and roughed in. This side had a lot of nasty claw hammer bodywork, but after a lot of hammer and dolly work it came out not too bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd, kiwijeff and cretin like this.
  26. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Awesome metal work. Great save.

27. RMONTY

RMONTY

Did the hillbilly meth-head actually use the "claw" part of the hammer? :)

28. This is a great example of total opposite levels of craftsmanship: the previous caveman efforts and those of a very talented metal man. You're nothing less than a miracle worker!

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Affirmative.
    I also think this car needs a thread title more deserving of your skills and determination.

117harv likes this.
  30. 117harv

117harv

I can't imagine ever getting tired of threads like this, a turd can be polished...outstanding work! 007_zpsrhf22xxb (1).jpg 008_zpsebfpss9b.jpg 017_zpsloadyoeh.jpg