Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Where it was located - in an open field - was surrounded by junk yards - most of them fenced in. We called it the "bottoms" as it was in flood land right near one of the little forks of the great Trinity river. It's near the intersection of hwy 1382 and Camp Wisdom which is about a mile off of I-20 in southern Dallas. There are still a few grandfather yards in there but the developers have a hold of the rest of the lots.
    Okay I was lucky - sweated bullets for a few years while it sat - the factory tach just sitting there. ALL the trim was off - and just sticking out the back window - even all the factory Fury hub caps were there ! They along with the gold side trim were/are aluminum - so was glad a scrapper didn't get them. The chore trim with all the points were there as well - main thing Fury was the chrome ring that goes on the deluxe steering wheel.
    Anyway was lucky to have my hands on and buy lots of parts cars over the years - with only a little sadness there.
    It had a 354 hemi with an auto in it which had thrown a rod. So already have a nice 277 3sp OD in it now and it yard drives. It was an original three on tree Fury which I have yet to see another - most were auto's.
    Tor into it.....wait until youse guys see the 56 D-500....another small challenge.....oh I'm a 1956 too !

Attached Files:

2. Wanted maybe to show a thing or two about the motors and frame for those doing engine swaps -
    This oil pan came out in 1964 - on the 273 motors - put into A-body mopars and was carried well up into the 70's on the 318 in Darts and other A-Bodies - it should clear those pesky tie rods - but not a 360 pan as they are different. Here a shot of the factory motor mounts - if they were good enough for a hemi back then - finding a NOS set on Ebay would maybe get you going on a V/8 swap. I'll show the Dodge little Red Ram mount later...as the early 53/54 mount will work on the 55/56 frame.

Attached Files:

3. oh...if you didn't know it's a 1956 Fury....last ran about 1977 - they had painted it black with the gold trim - kinda like Smokey and the Bandit ? Funny bought one other car repainted black with gold stripes that was parked in the early 80's. Factory tach - my other bad habit - Studebakers - were the only other family sedan offering standard factory tach's - in the Golden Hawk. The original seats and side panels still have the Fury fabric underneath the black covers they put over them.

Attached Files:

4. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

I didn't look close enough to realize it was a Fury. That really makes it worth the effort.

5. oh....and missing but I've bought them since - the "Fury" emblems for both sides....took awhile searching but I've got them.....this won't be a show car by any means....just want to get it back on the road....maybe later we can build up a RB-383......

6. GaryS

GaryS

Good to see another '56 Fury will be on the road in DFW!
    I'm on the opposite side of the Metroplex in Denton County and my project is a mutant combination of Fury, Belvedere, and modern parts and pieces...mostly from newer Mopars.
    Construction is going slow, but I'm hoping it will be running by September '17.

http://56plymouth.blogspot.com/

7. Dang Gary - went to your blog.....if you need any dash parts - let me know - I have lots.....and lots of other 56 stuff. Your poly looks great - I'm running three of them in the Fury, a 65 Coronet wagon and a 66 Dodge 1-ton truck. Family's been mopar as well - we had many a Valiant running around. Speaking of - I saw you had a 64 convert Val - I also do to. It's kinda a driver but really wanting some attention....maybe next up. PM your # and lets talk !

Lawrence

Attached Files:

8. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I just found some old car parts I had saved. One item was a side mirror I think might have been off my 1956 Plymouth? Will you check out this photo and tell me if I am right?[​IMG]

9. not what came stock on the 55/56 mopars - could be an upgrade or after market...will did up one of the factory mirrors I have stored....they used the same one all the makes - Chry -DeS- Ply -Dodge....

10. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Thanks for the info. I bought the car in 1962 and sold it in 1967 so I have no memory of where I got this mirror.

11. gonmad

gonmad

My buddies 55 Lancer mirror is round.

12. dakiwi

dakiwi

Hi All, looking for some advice on restoring badges / emblems. I have two on my car that have a clear plastic / resin type material over them. How do I remove and replace this clear fill?

hood_emblem_02.jpg hood_emblem_01.jpg ?

13. hutch4848

hutch4848

14. hutch4848

hutch4848

to royal lancer; fine looking ride. I have a 55 dodge coronet 2dr with whats left of a 270 v8. my question is what steel engine mounts did you use? did you clip the front frame? my cars front engine mount is a horse shoe front of motor to 2 bolts in front main cross member. I will be running a 88 Chrysler 318 , trans and rear end. thanks for any thoughts mike h [email protected]

15. hutch4848

hutch4848

Hi mongo51; I too have a 55 coronet 2dr. no kits to swap motors I have been looking for mounts . Is your car v8 or 6?mine is v8 mounts to front cross member by a horse shoe to front of motor and then to cross member. My motor and trans is from my 88 Chrysler 5th ave. I would send pics of mine but I have no camera. Good luck on your project. mike h hutch4848

16. hutch4848

hutch4848

17. hutch4848

hutch4848

burtirido hi; what engine mounts are you using? I have a 55 coronet that I want to put a 88 Chrysler 318 and 904 trans also rear end from same car. thanks mike h hutch4848

18. GaryS

GaryS

After I priced replacement motor mounts for my '56 Plymouth, I decided to change them to a more modern standard design that is far less expensive, and available anywhere. I was quoted $450 for a set of stock mounts that had to be sent out to be rebuilt. I got the later model mounts from Rockauto for $16.

The parts I used for the spool mounts were cut from a late model Ram and welded to the '56 frame.

There are a few more pictures on my blog: http://56plymouth.blogspot.com/

Attached Files:

stillrunners likes this.
  19. hutch4848

hutch4848

20. hutch4848

hutch4848

Hey trannyman; like your car. what engine mounts are you using. they look like truck mount to rubber. please email me with any info. I have a 55 coronet 2dr sedan, want to mount a 88 Chrysler 318, trans, and rear end. also was your disc brake set up home made? mike h [email protected]

21. George

George

Butch's Cool Stuff, if still around, has engine mounts for LA swaps. Tranny cross over using the drop loop style (truck?) is easy to fab if you have welding capability.

22. 422cuda

422cuda

Looking for a driver's side door latch for a 1956 dodge 2-door hardtop. Seeing if any of you guys might have an extra set laying around. Also does anyone know if the 2-door Post Car or 4-door models used the same latch as the 2-door?

23. I Recall A post A while back & I think their the same

24. yes latch is same 2 door or 4 door.....also found on Dodge trucks.....

25. out side door pull latch.....

26. Big Swede

Big Swede

Those of you still running the factory steel wheels, what size tire did you go with? I've looked at factory size but would like a little more meat. Looking at wide whites of course.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I have a door latch for a 40s-50s mopar don't know what specific year. post a picture and I'll let you know. I have some stuff that came out of a closed down dealership. a good bit is nos

28. There were both 4.5" wide original wheels on the 6 cyl cars up to 5.5" wide on convertibles and wagons.. 5" standard and likely what you have. Measure your wheels first. Then there are many web sites with charts indicating maximum correct tire fitment depending on your width. Or your local tire dealer would be happy to advise.

Big Swede likes this.
  29. southerncad

southerncad

Can't help with fixin' the front one, but here's what I did on my '56 Hawk for the back one, removed the plastic, replaced it with a piece of taillight lens, glued a chrome S in the center, then, cut a small hole in the trunk lid behind the emblem and hooked up a light bulb to my brake lights...instant 3rd brake light!

30. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

IMG_4825.JPG IMG_5585.JPG

Attached Files: