Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes the best oil filter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty O'Toole, Oct 31, 2016.

1. mohead1

mohead1

Wix, Mobil 1, or K&N performance type

2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have used System 1. Aka ""trash can "" Reusable , you can see what's going on with the engine , about $100

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    afaulk likes this.
  3. Fram has a couple of grades of filters. The big-box-store ones are probably the cheaper line, the part numbers had a letter suffix after the Fram part number, or they used to. I put one on a '84 Chevy wagon and the engine tended to have a slight knock on start up. That lasted for 2 starts and I put a Delco on it.

Look up filters on Summit, they have all the stats you need. Real racing filters sometimes have a higher micron number to promote a better flow. Anywhere from 20 to 25 is good for every day driving and beating on it now and then.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I put this one in my go fast car a couple months ago. Seems to work, so far. The box says it is probably kind of old.

pf25.jpg

pf25box.jpg

Flat Six Fix and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. uncle buck

uncle buck

We do live in a sue happy society so I can't say I blame him. If you were trying to interchange a filter that was incorrect for the job it was installed and the engine broke, where's the finger pointing going to be. I see people all the time trying to visually find a larger filter by comparison without any regard to bypass pressure, drain back valves etc

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truck64 and CornfieldPerformance like this.
  6. nunattax likes this.
  7. Machinist I use builds circle track and drag engines mostly. Every one goes on the dyno with a Wix filter. Testimonial enough for me.

nunattax likes this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

NAPA gold is made by WIX (or was anyway) and they seem to be good stuff. Motorcraft are good too. I suspect just about any filter and oil is just fine, so long as they get changed out at least semi-regularly. Short trips over and over, where the engine never really warms up, causes sludge. Detergent oils work, but will get loaded up eventually and the dirt and soot falls out of suspension etc.

9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I go with wix also.

nunattax and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. cfmvw

cfmvw

I've always used Purolator in my cars, except on my VW...been using an Oberg filter on it for over 20 years.

11. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

I know, but don't you think that's sad?! First and foremost, it's an oil filter company for motors. Don't you think they should be pretty well versed on what works well on what motors by now? Maybe that's just me. I dunno lol.
    Now, I'll save the web space because I feel pretty passionate about the downward spiral of society and how everyone is caving in and doing stuff like this as opposed to just talking it out and helping and I could type pages upon pages on my opinion.
    But to clarify, the only information wix wanted from me was the filter that was currently on the motor. He would not even give me an option between a few filters without knowing what was currently on there as to recommend it's equivalent, despite agreeing with me that the previous owner may have been using an incorrect filter for the motor.

(fwiw, the guy at NAPA was also really cool and informative. A gentleman with a real passion and interest for cars/motors, and even he gave me better information to make a clear choice compared to wix. Albeit, I already walked in there knowing what I wanted, but he helped confirm my selection)

Now, by comparison, I had a 15 minute convo about oil selection, (nothing to do with this topic of filter choice) with the rep for Penn oil and he was awesome. His willingness to talk to me about my particular application, regardless of not knowing the motor's internal clearances, etc, sold me on their product. He didn't tell me their product was superior to anyone else's. He simply gave me his personal opinions along with mfg recommendations, what he thought was best and left me with a choice between two.
    Because of customer service like that, I'm buying their product.
    If I find another company with equal quality filtration wix, ill use the competitors because of the lack of help from wix. That's all I'm saying. I don't mean to ramble. I just like good customer service :)

12. uncle buck

uncle buck

I know what you mean, being a tech support person requires no personality and its always a crapshoot. At least they weren't in India

nunattax likes this.
  13. 73RR

73RR

Hey....wait a minute....MaMopar put orange on some of her finest, like the 426 Hemi.....

Hnstray likes this.
  14. jim snow

jim snow

Years in fleet maintance.Wix. Snowman

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Wix, Napa Gold, Oberg.

16. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

This Dirt Farmer uses WIX filters and They work Good

nunattax and chevy57dude like this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I started compiling a spread sheet a couple of months ago of different filters available for the SBC, listing them by Brand and Part # with available specifications, such as the physical dimensions, Beta Ratios, Nominal Micron Rating, Flow Rate, Burst Pressure, Media Type, etc. There are a lot of choices out there, and the differences in specs are pretty stark. So far I've got Wix, Napa, K&N, Fram, & AC Delco; I have a lot more to go. I would note that most brands carry multiple levels of filters, some low priced and some much higher priced, with differing qualities. Some are designed for high flow capacity, some are designed for high dirt holding for extended drains, some are designed to filter smaller particles, some are just designed to provide cheep filtering; you pays your money and you makes your choices. When I get done with the list I'll post it where anyone can download it, there's some good info there, it's just too bad that not everyone provides performance specs. It would be nice if everyone provided nominal micron ratings, even better if they would provide beta ratios.

nunattax and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Like everybody said: Wix or NAPA Gold (same).
    Fram just plain sucks - cut one open. its scary. I did once and one could tell it was made to a price...not to a quality.
    Purolator filters never really have been available easily around here so I can't comment.

19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Bound to be clogged by now! :)

20. 41woodie

41woodie

Napa Gold for conventional oil, Napa Platinum for synthetic oil

21. Nothing but K&N for me.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

At least the old AC PF 25 was made in the USA. AC oil filters are now made in China by small children.

Gary

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Wix or Hastings!

cptn60 likes this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, that, too.

25. k9racer

k9racer

I have had very good luck with Baldwin oil filters. One of the machine shops I use said to only use them. Another shop said only use Wix. Both places build dependable horse power. So some one tell me who mfgs MOPAR filters?? Thank You... Bobby..

26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

One important thing not mention yet microns are also based on what weight oil ,35 to 45 for split weights up
    to 20/50. 70 microns 60 wt & up
    Summertime I use race 60 wt on the street wintertime 20/50 wt race
    I have two system one filter , earlier I said they were $100 well there about $160 -$200 now each

27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Everything these days is a crap shoot. Companies are bought and sold all the time. Baldwin made good filters and I think they are still making filters in the US but they are no longer owned by the Baldwin family and they do have factories worldwide. Baldwin bought Hastings in 1995.

All of these companies get bought and sold and who knows what happens to production. Sometimes companies are bought solely for the product name and reputation. Factories are closed and production is farmed out to the lowest bidder.

28. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I too have been using Baldwin filters for several years . They have performed just as they should , without any problems ,

29. k9racer

k9racer

I know its a no no but. On a television show the actor/driver/ wrench. ?? said he had a see thru oil filter. He watched the oil flow. So what is it???? Will some one be so kind to tell me about this product. Thank You...

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus