Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes the best oil filter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty O'Toole, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I know there are articles on the web, I did a search and found lots of them, but every one I saw was 8 years old or older. Does anyone know of any tests done more recently?

2. 73RR

73RR

I found a web page, obviously funded by Amazon, listing the 'top-30'.....the list included 5 different Fram filters and not one Wix filter....hhmmmm...me thinks there is a flaw....

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

From an oil analyois company the company I worked for used Fleet Guard.

4. evintho

evintho

There was a very comprehensive one done a few years back that was extremely detailed. It dissected every leading filter on the market, preformed tests, etc. Based on that info it seems Purolator is definitely the best bang for the buck and it's the only filter I use on all my cars. Fram looks to be junk! But hey........opinions vary!

6-bangertim, slack and GreenMonster48 like this.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Yeah I looked at some of those 'top 10' and 'top 30' lists all obviously shills. There were a few comprehensive, detailed analyses but the newest one I found was from 2008. Wonder if there is something more up to date.

6. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Back in the day we used Scott toilet paper in the canister filters.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I've got one of those Frantz filters but never used it. New cars don't seem to have any room under the hood to put one.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the machinist who built a few motors for me said to use Wix. he actually scolded me when he saw a Fram on a 289 he built for a Mustang I had.

9. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

After doing some research, it was somewhat unanimous to go w/ Napa/WIX, so I just put a Napa Gold filter on mine.
    Although I have to say, after trying to obtain the correct filter by emailing wix, they have pretty poor customer service. The guy seemed more worried about their liability in recommending the wrong filter than helping me ensure I'm using the right one. After a lot more cross checking and researching than needed, I found the correct one anyway, but no thanks to Wix's CS rep.

lothiandon1940 and Gman0046 like this.
  10. Yep, Wix/NAPA filters are the good ones and easy to find, Motorcraft is another but not so easy to find, Fram is junk.... There's some other good ones (Purolater, AC, Bosch), but they're harder to find and don't have coverage for everything. Wix makes filters for damn near everything.

Harley used to sell a 'Screaming Eagle' air cleaner assembly as a hop-up part for their bikes that featured a K&N washable filter element (made to order for Harley). HD switched to Fram as their supplier, the now-paper filters immediately got a bad rep as the filters would disintegrate and get ingested into the motor....

11. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Frame installation instructions:

1. Confirm application
    2. Open box
    3. Remove from box
    4. Toss in trash can
    5. Pat yourself on the back

DO NOT REPEAT

slack, robracer1 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

IndigolnkTaco X2.

13. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

I'll just stick with Wix

nunattax likes this.
  14. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Wix--R filters

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    falcongeorge likes this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SBC's and citrus fruit are the only things that are good and orange.

I would not install a Fram filter on cinder bock, let alone anything that needs to have anything filtered.

16. Funny!

I bought a box full of Fram filters at a swap meet for 10 bucks and found the ideal use for them ~ Target Practice! HRP

lothiandon1940 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  17. LOL I can't tell you who makes the best filter, I can tell you that I don't. Hell from what I have been told I don't even choose a good filter.

Wix makes a good filter, or at least they did at onetime. Back before anyone really knew what a Wix filter was we called them a farmer filter because farmers used them a lot. if you think about it, its really not an insult, who gets the best value out of everything that they buy and use? Farmers do.

clem, Cosmo49 and Truck64 like this.
  18. The local cab company use to be next to our business and they used Wix,I figured as much punishment as cabs get they know the best filters. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. I bought some Wix XP filters for my 355, they're 21 microns. I started the break in with a Royal Purple which is also good. I always go with a longer filter than the stock one. Moroso makes one that I liked as well and is carried by my local speed shop.

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am a WIX fan..........

Ray

nunattax and falcongeorge like this.
  21. RmK57

RmK57

Motorcraft FL-1A in my older Fords. Heard there made by Purolator which also have a good filter.

22. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

Keep in mind, I believe Mann also acquired wix earlier this year. I have no idea if that will change anything in the design/quality of their filters, but maybe something to keep an eye in the future. I'm sure the folks over on BITOG will be monitoring this for masses as well :)

23. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

I use Wix or the long truck AC Delco on my SBC. Depends on my mood. Honestly nothing wrong with AC Delco or Motorcraft. Try them out and then cut open an old filter to look at the construction.

nunattax likes this.
  24. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

My engine builder, who's been around the block 10,000+ times, said to use WIX in my newly rebuilt, not cheap 327. I order them a couple at a time through RockAuto.

Here a tip --> When you buy a filter at a store, open the box to make sure the correct filter is IN the box. I've came across this issue a couple of times. It just saves the aggravation of returning the filter for the correct one.

6-bangertim and bobss396 like this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mann is an OEM for European cars.

If it can filter a six-figure hypercar, it can filter your hot rod.

26. slowmotion

slowmotion

I bailed off the Fram bandwagon sometime around the mid 70's. Seen three different failures first hand. Napa Gold/Wix these days. And they're easy enough to find.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Our resident counter man at O'Reilly's cut open some new filters, at the O.K. from his boss.
    Fram has a 'shorter' paper element (and less dense) besides a spring plate (just a circle of .020" steel compound curved for tension) that does NOT keep tension on the filter gasket, lots of oil bypasses it.

WIX and Bosch have denser filter paper, and a coil spring at the tension end.
    Cut open a WIX, then a Fram. Obvious.

6-bangertim and mctim64 like this.
  28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The local parts store sells Fram, Mann and K&N.

29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

It is my understanding that wix manufactures filters for a number of other companies besides napa. Also the last time I looked at a puralator box it said made in Vietnam! That's been some time ago, and most of the products we buy are made by someone who probley dose not even know what it is used for. Use good oil and change it with the filter every 3,000 miles or once a year and you won't have any issue's . And if your motor blows a filter apart, you got more problem's than filter quality. Larry

30. dan31

dan31

On my big trucks and equipment we would only use wix. I'll run k&n on my car motors