Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shipping those H.A.M.B. parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Oct 18, 2016.

1. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'll add:
    UPS is the last carrier I'll use, literally only as a carrier-of-last-resort. I'd seriously consider using a chinese junk before them. Both for shipping to me, & from me. UPS 'policy' on will-call is assinine(nearest one is ~ 15 mi away), hrs almost don't exist (if you don't get it w/i 3 days(including original notice-day), they return it!), & when they drop off @ PO, no notice is given. What I have found as truth for around here (read: twin-cities MN), while there are P.O. assholes, UPS has them all beat. To hell n back, & then some. UPS rates went through the roof for a small guy, UPS-Store "packing" = a handful, maybe 8, styrofoam peanuts regardless of size of box or value in it. Yes, they actually use that many... 'Course the downside is that every backroom employee tries to damage the box(es). I'm not kidding, knew a # of folks there, & it's all a game to them. & leaving a pkg - even a "sign-for-required" at a neighbors (unsigned) has cost me books, & all kinds of other stuff over the years. Not to mentioned damaged stuff. "Huh, wasn't us...". "Prove it". "Contact vendor/seller".

So: I've learned to insure the pkg/contents no matter who I use, but here's the kicker: UPS will actually spend $1.00 to find $10,000 - but then NOT pay out. USPS will spend $10,000 to find $1.00 & they WILL pay out. No brainer on whom to use, + as w/POMO, if there is theft involved, you get the benefit of the USPS getting involved due to Mail Fraud. Serious stuff.

& while I'm on a roll, I rarely get the same ups driver twice, most can't/won't find me unless they're looking for someone else. WTF? Although I do thank the ones that do find... :) .

In case it's not clear, UPS isn't my favorite carrier...

Marcus...

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I also ship a lot of small stuff USPS Priority. Usually 2 working days to CA from NE. UPS would take 4 days. I just shipped a Medium Priority box to Indianapolis on Monday and the customer had it today. Ups would have taken 3 days. I use UPS for my large pkgs but I'm USPS all the way for the smalls.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  3. ems customer service

ems customer service

so i can complain to you when my mail gets lost?

4. hah, just talk to one of my employees, i have a "representative" in every town and almost every country.
    bound to lose a piece or two, considering 509 MILLION pieces get delivered EVERYDAY.

INVISIBLEKID and stillrunners like this.
  5. I will add to the comments by Marcus.
    AMERICAN EXPRESS sent me new credit cards, since my existing cards were compromised.
    These cards were sent, via UPS and their overnight service. SIGNATURE REQUIRED.
    I didn't receive the OVERNIGHT delivery.
    UPS delivered my cards to another individual, and, no, the signature required was not adhered to.

6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

In last year or so ,I have issues with all of them ,
    Shipping and receiving, value from $10 -$5,000
    But you have to Use one of them unless you drve !!
    Its a roll of the dice !!!

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A recent source told me Amazon is job #1 with all the majors and USPS, the latter giving them priority over Joe Balls the citizen. Not hard to believe or imagine but does sound a bit conspiritory in nature to me. I think in plain English my local PO simply sucks, that branch manager actually agreed. Sadness...

8. Joe H

Joe H

I just shipper a pile of parts using Fastenal. I had to crate them up, but ended up shipping 840 lbs from KC to Las Vegas for $220. That was really cheap and all I had to do was back up to the local store and they unloaded it.

For smaller stuff, Flat Rate USPS. Cheapest rates going for small heavy items. 8.5" ring and pinion, $13.45 with a few other parts stuffed in the box. That would be $40 any where else!

Joe

9. There is no justice anywhere. PP scares folks, a personal check can bounce, cash can be counterfeit.
    So .... the USPS Money Order has to be the way, right ?
    That has its shortcomings too.
    Twice now, in the past week, I have taken a MONEY ORDER to the local post office to cash out, had to leave empty handed because the post office didn't have cash to cover the price of the MONEY ORDER.
    Amazing to me.
    P.S. The amounts, in both cases, were under $150.00.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of all of the shippers, FedEx is the only one that has broken things, just a couple of times.

UPS has outright "lost" numerous items that were on the way to me, and the last one that I sent.

It was a 52" driveshaft! They re-taped the box and sent it long EMPTY!

They even fought me on the refund. I had to take a picture of my receipt to prove that I insured it for the full value. Then they tried to fight me on refunding the shipping charges, too. Eventually, I did get it all back.

Don't even use OnTrac. Just don't. Zero stars.

11. You guys know that USPS Priority Mail goes FedEx, right?
    It is all sorted at it's own dedicated facility in Memphis, put on a FedEx plane, flown to the airport closest to delivery, sorted out and delivered to the PO for your location.
    Then there's FedEx Express, FedEx Ground, and FedEx Home Delivery. They've got it figured out.
    The best, IMHO.

12. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

13. Guess I'm out of touch with shipping.
    While the USPS was telling me they didn't have cash to cash their own check, I asked about the small box, where you can fit anything in there, for $ 7.95.
    I was positive, in my mind, that I shipped a carb that way.
    USPS told me I had to be mistaken ..... the small box charge is $ 13.95.

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

I'm gettin' older and have started to thin out my stock. I have used USPS almost exclusively since I have to drive 30-40 miles to the nearest UPS or FedEx pickup and when I did I was stunned at the prices. Our local post office staff has been a great help getting me the cheapest method. A customer recently turned me on to the USPS "game box" a pretty decent sized package for $18.75 no matter what it weighs.
    The big stuff? It either goes to the swap meet or you drive out here and pick it up.

stillrunners and bobg1951chevy like this.
  15. chrisp

chrisp

I shipped a package from France via FedEx to Los Angeles CA, they tried to deliver it somewhere in Florida, then returned it to me stating the address was non existent :confused:, the package got delivered almost 8 months later to that "non existent address", I guess it was the once in a lifetime really bad experience.

stillrunners, bobg1951chevy and pat59 like this.
  16. Fordors

Fordors

. I would never expect the PO to have cash on hand, who knows what kind of "bank" they start the day with. On the other hand your bank would surely have cash and a USPS MO is as good as gold there.

17. phat rat

phat rat

By "game box" are you referring to the flat rate boxes? If so they've had them for years. If not please clue the rest of us in on them

18. Until reading this thread, I did not know of Fastenal, as a shipper.

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I own a bigger share of FedEx than the USPS, but I use both of them, as well as UPS. Small stuff always goes USPS.

20. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

21. 1pickup

1pickup

Really? You think "all" Priority mail sent from New York to New Jersey, or Seattle to L.A. Goes to Memphis? If that were true, then explain how Priority sent across 1 or 2 states on the coasts can arrive the next day. That's some damn nice work trucking to an airport, flying half way across the country, being handled & sorted, then being flown back, trucked again, and all within 24 hours! As I stated earlier, the shippers work together. As I also stated earlier, all those different colored trucks drop packages off at the P.O. In exchange for the USPS delivering those, FeDEx, UPS, DHL, etc., let the USPS have use of their airplanes. No conspiracy. Just money & time savings for you & the shippers.

504640 likes this.
  22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't know if I am just lucky or what, but I have used all the methods discussed here, both shipping and receiving, and rarely had a problem. Once, I sent a title to a fellow, via USPS in an envelope, and it got lost for awhile, but eventually surfaced.

In my neck of the woods, the UPS people are terrific, friendly, helpful, very accommodating. I have a UPS account (no cost to have it) and when I sell something I box it, weigh it and go online to price it. If satisfied, I print the label and drop it off at UPS ........easy peasy.

One thing not mentioned here, a "UPS Store" is NOT the same thing as UPS the company. The store deals are independent agents for UPS and make their money by packaging goods for shipment. I don't know if shipping rates differ for the same package since I do my own.

I also like USPS Flat Rate boxes where they will work for the items I need to ship.

Occasionally I gasp at a shipping quote, then I take a deep breath and remind myself what's involved in accepting a package in Bumfuck, USA and sorting it, trucking it, maybe flying it, then more sorting and putting it on another truck for delivery.

The facilities, equipment, trucks, airplanes and people doing all this work don't come for free. I usually decide all of that is a pretty good bargain. How much would I want to take a 50# package 1500 miles in a few days time, or less, and hand deliver to the recipient? I'd want more than they charge!

Ray

bobg1951chevy, pat59 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. 1pickup

1pickup

Just realized that my previous post was #500 for me. Of course, it was a rant...
    And, now, back to our regularly scheduled program. Carry on with the ridiculous comments boys!

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Our smalltown USPS is friendly, personable, and efficient. The flat rate boxes have been a godsend for me, as I tell sellers I deal with (personally) to use them.

Paypal has done me right for these 10 years, once I had a 'hack', the hacker was in New Delhi, India!
    My Paypal agent said, "Relax, I'll handle it," and asked for my bank's phone#. Next day, the bank calls me and asks me to come down to settle this...
    A female 'somewhere above teller status' (an old blond) came out to the lobby and started in with a bunch of hannenframus about the money being "not in the bank, but aloft".
    I asked her how high. She was bent on some 'floating money' story, the funds are there, but 'not there'.
    Paypal called me while I was there, and asked me if the bank had received a 'voucher'...I gave the old blond my phone, and she was distressed...she then handed me back my phone and miraculously my $760 re-appeared!
    She scowled as she printed the receipt.
    Never another problem with Paypal, they have been on top of it for me...
    Big Brown UPS has delivered broken heavy cardboard boxes, (twice; the last one was a double-packed brown corrugated box, one inside the other, and a 1949 Sterling Mr. Mulligan scale model airplane box inside, to increase value of the model I had for sale, formerly bad box)
    The delivered box had been stomped on, (2 separate footprints) and broken inside. A perfectly preserved early Mr. Mulligan box. If only I had seen them do it...
    Had a problem getting my insurance money, but finally got it. (there was a 'note', "Insured a toy box?")
    I would have answered in the appropriate manner, in 2 words! But it was over, and I got the $100.

25. phat rat

phat rat

[
    USPS site for figuring shipping costs just calls it a large flat rate box.

Hnstray, I have a UPS store much closer than the UPS center. They charge the same. As a matter of fact I even get a AARP 10% discount. So with the discount and fuel savings I save twice.

bobg1951chevy and Hnstray like this.
  26. Worked for UPS until they hurt me on the job....union wasn't much help.....wouldn't take care of me then.....don't use them now.....they wouldn't let me stop to go take a piss....you can figure what happened.....blew a valve.....

27. First choice for small parts is USPS.
    You can't beat their flat rate boxes..... 'cause there are no surprises on cost.
    {Make sure you ad extra insurance for anything over $100 in value as they are well known for having a rampant internal theft problem}.
    I avoid USPS like the plague on larger & heavier parts.

First choice for medium to larger heavy parts is FedEx. Their prices beat UPS across the board.
    {It is always a good idea to pony up a few extra bucks to ad "signature required'' or some drivers will just toss the box in the front yard without even getting out of the truck}.

First choice for really big parts is Greyhound.
    { If you have the patience to deal the monkeys behind the counter there }.
    Never had a problem with anything I shipped with them.
    Only drawback is they will not insure a package for more than $300 unless you have an account with them.

We Never use UPS for anything as their prices are inflated to cover the cost of all their union drivers that stay out until 9:00 PM while they stroke the clock on overtime.

Have not tried Fastenal yet but I have heard nothing but glowing reviews on their shipping system.

And.... While we are on the topic...
    Here is some Interesting reading that will change the way you think about the USPS.

http://postalemployeenetwork.com/news/category/usps-news/theftandfraud/

28. This POSTAL NEWLETTER should be re-named "CAN YOU TOP THIS" ....... it must be the "in thing" for the postal employee to get their name and prison sentence posted into this newsletter.

29. Use the USPS flat rate small boxes for my latches business. Occasionally a medium box for larger orders. For my personal stuff it just depends on what it is. I do like being able to print out electronic shipping label and drop at USPS without having to wait in line.

Bigger stuff like car parts or similar size and shape I use FedEx ground is usually cheaper than USPS.

30. Secured shipping via FEDEX.... Love the tracking