Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods STEELIES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Put steelies & WW's on my RPU 2 yrs ago and found local powder coater had exact Candy Blue Pearl color to match my flames...........for only $30 per wheel, a bunch cheaper than buying materials to paint, etc........have 10 K miles since with no problems.........

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER and hd1084 like this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Wheel covers or beauty rings won't stay on powder coated wheels.[/QUOTE]
    I should try to clarify why I said this ... on a non - safety rim wheel, such as an old, rusty chrome reverse that's been sandblasted, or a riveted stocker, the covers or rings have a hard time staying still when powder coated. The later aftermarket wheels made from the '65 - '66 up era have the safety bead which allow the teeth to get a grip.

HOTRODPRIMER and loudbang like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

People that can paint, paint...........we can spot the powder coated stuff at ten feet. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER and squirrel like this.
  4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have yet to get anything powder coated. The local dude gets $50 a wheel though, I didn't think it was too bad.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, when I did mine, paint and sand paper was about $30 and I did 2 wheels, so.........
    Never had to retouch them and my car was a daily driver. So it's obvious, results may vary.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Mine are powder coated. But then, so is the frame, rear axle and many other chassis pieces.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. I had mine powder coated for $50 per wheel.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Mine are powder coated also, $30 per wheel I believe when I bought from Wheelsmith.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

As most of you know, I'm a wheel nut. Driving along Avenue 2 south of here, wife Joey and I spotted a big pile of discarded wheels, all with tires. I immediately glommed onto a '49-'51 Merc with its 3 external nubs, so I stopped!
    Joey was unsnapping the tarp, I threw the Merc wheel in, then she said, "There's its mate," so I grabbed a second one.
    There were 2 more, 4.5" 15s (early type, internal nubs) and an International 15", (my favorite, because it's essentially an internal nubbed steelie that's got a little 'offset', 'deeper' than a Ford...AND, it's 5-on-4.5"!) That's the way to use an 8" or 9" rear, without the hassle...and look like gennie wheels...

I paint mine with a good grade of primer, then a single stage black (in this case) Sparvar tractor paint.
    Alas, I went back for more and found that the California Jack-Booted fascists had confiscated all the Sparvar paint from the shelves! -Said it had 'OIL' in it!
    Why the hell did they think I was buying it?
    My out of state friend brought me a gallon from somewhere else, in his cool F100. A finger for the fastidious fascists.

10. Bob,are you serious? you must have be blessed with super x-ray vision. HRP

hd1084 likes this.
  11. BTW,when I had the wheels on the sedan powder coated 20 plus years ago they were fairly reasonable and all I has to do was drop them off and pick them up..

The grill insert and the wheels were sandblaster & powder coated 5 pieces for 100 bucks. HRP

12. I am a cheap bastard so most of my stuff gets painted. I'll probably tell everyone that I am a traditional hotrodder but the truth is that paint is cheaper.

The wheels that I will probably run on the back of my A are powder coated but I got them that way and they may only be temporary. Not because of the powder coat I just may change them out in time. :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Ever try sandblasting powder coating ~it's a bitch to remove!HRP

14. squirrel

squirrel

that's one reason I don't want it.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

We powder coat at work so I could do em for free.... all of my cars have chrome wheels [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Its a bitch to get paint to stick to it too.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Paint. Well, actually, right now it's epoxy primer just like the rest of the car. It'll all be '63 Ford Corinthian White, eventually.

Kevin
    imagejpeg_0.jpg

18. rattle can on this set. 004.JPG

19. shortypu

shortypu

Sandblasted 59.JPG IMG_2871.JPG and powdercoated

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Yea, it's less glossy then paint. I use a good quality glaze and wax, after that they shine pretty good

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Then it will be more beautiful than it already is.:cool:

Ray C's son and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Painted and cleared.

P1010006.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Paint sure stuck to Tammy Fay Baker! :eek: HRP

Jet96, tobyflh and Hnstray like this.
  24. Took a lot of paint to cover that old barn :eek:

I wonder what ever happened to them.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Powder coating was not a option on the wheels for my Deuce pickup,baby diaper green wasn't available! HRP

[​IMG]

26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've been getting my steelies from Wheel Smith and have them do the powder coating. Reasonable price and very high quality. Cheaper and easier than painting them yourself.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. LBCD

LBCD

Heavy duty paint stripper for powder and it comes off easy....only one coat to deal with unlike when stripping paint...multiple layers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. You must have some exotic paint stripper available in California and I was under the impression you guys had some hard nosed EPA restrictions,I haven't found a stripper yet that would even dull the finish of powder coating here in the Sunny South. HRP

29. LBCD

LBCD

I needed to remove the powder coating were the banjo bolt installs on the brake calipers. Im pretty sure I used this...if not this then aircraft stripper.[​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I know some people powder coat because they say it cleans easier.