Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects To buy or pass on this 34 Ford three window project?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kcode, Oct 28, 2016.

1. kcode

kcode
    from Oregon

I am entertaining the thought of buying this 34 three window. It's a big project, but I don't think it's horrible. As you can see, it needs tons of bodywork and some metal replacement. The lower front quarters are rusted and the floors are gone. The top needs more work prior to putting mud on it. The passengers door looks like the lower part of the window frame is cut off? Not sure why. The engine runs, but the car does not drive yet. The frame is original. I like the look, but I don't want to overspend on it. I think I can get it somewhere around 8-9k. I can do the metal, body and paint work myself, but I still want to get it for a decent price.

Are they asking to much? Thanks for any feedback!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. alchemy

alchemy

That's not a Ford. And it's way overpriced for a Chevy.

3. Roupe

Roupe

Bingo! If you do buy it, also make sure it has the correct title.

need louvers ? and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. kcode

kcode
    from Oregon

I couldn't really tell in the shape it's in. This would be the first early 30's car I have looked at. Thanks!

5. eberhama

eberhama

The passenger side doors were usually cut out like that for dirt track racing. That's maybe $2k worth of project on a good day.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Chevy with a Ford in it. Wonder if he gets the flack the Ford guys with Chevies in 'em get! :D

falcongeorge and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Please do yourself a favor and become way more familiar with the brand and era car you want to buy before doing so.

LOU WELLS and X38 like this.
  8. Well stop lookin' at that one.

hotroddon and kcode like this.
  9. F&J

F&J

definitely ex-stock car dirt track body with that door window cut out.

find a better car. That amount of money can get a pretty decent car in this economy, and something from eastern PNW won't be too rusty or hacked up

2k if he gets lucky on that one

10. kcode

kcode
    from Oregon

I looked at this five window last year. He has a new frame with rack and pinion, disc all around, good solid body, re-chromed grill, new crate 347 stroker engine, new transmission, all the fenders in good shape and tons of other parts. He and his wife would like 20k for it. More than I would like to spend, but it's a clean car.
    [​IMG]

11. ahshoe

ahshoe

Way too much in my opinion. You have to think what you will have in it when you are finished(not that they ever are) A starting price at 8K will get you up there even if you do most all the work. It really depends on your ability. I would pass.

12. kcode

kcode
    from Oregon

Couple more pictures of the 33 five window.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. alchemy

alchemy

That style frame is wrong for the guys on this forum, but it might be worth that price for a street rodder group. Here we would buy that Ford and sell the new frame, then find an original chassis and start from there. You might be able to get $10G for the complete new frame, then you'd be into the rest for $10,000. Which is probably a really good price depending on the condition of the floor and how many extra parts come with it.

If you post the location of that blue five-window, we can find out in a hurry if the market will bear it.

56don likes this.
  14. kcode

kcode
    from Oregon

The car is near Portland Oregon. I think with the crate engine, body, new transmission, re-chromed grill that those parts are worth at least 10K? Plus good solid fenders and an extra grill. The floors look OK, but could use a few patches. I may have to change the firewall out due to the newer engine. I would like to have a frame with a more traditional look, not so custom.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Go for that Ford five-window then. The $$ seem good.

Plan on spending a bit for a nice original chassis, or at least a more traditional suspension on a new chassis (think Pete & Jakes or similar) without the narrowed rear rails. But you will be way ahead than starting a project with a junker Chevy body and chassis.

16. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Waaaaay too much! Agree with eberhama.

17. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Run the other direction from that...Mess!

18. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to remember that there is more than one car discipline. There is the Street Rod type thing and then there are the Traditional Hot Rods. Almost everyone on this site are heavily into the Traditional cars. Now with that said and looking at the 33 Ford and not that Chevrolet mess, if you are talking Traditional car there is not a lot there. The chassis would need to go for sure and for me personally it would only be trading or swapping material I would have absolutely no use for that at all. So actually you are buying a 1933 Ford body and NON traditional engine tranny for 20 G's.

Only you can decide what is right for you. Maybe you would be happy with a Street Rod. The folks on here mostly would not. You are also looking at one of the most Iconic Hot Rods out there the 33 and 34 Ford. These cars demand a very high price and most seem to bring it. The 20G price "TO ME" seems completely out of the ball park for what you would be getting. That is just my opinion as it is the only one I am qualified to speak on. I also am not saying you should let our opinions substitute for your own.

Spend a little time here in the classified's and do some research and you will find a much more affordable and buildable car. Good Luck !

clunker likes this.
  19. I totally agree,that pile is not worth that kind of money. HRP

20. reefer

reefer

The Chev coupe is about 8 grand overpriced...the five window coupe would be snapped up in a heartbeat over here at that price.....and that's just the body Im talking about.....no contest in my mind.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree 100% with leave that Chevy coupe alone and let someone who wants to build it up as an old dirt track car for the street have it. You would have to get that car for under 2 K to make it viable to do the work it needs.
    The 5 window with the street rod chassis. Body looks decent but if you are planning on building a HAMB friendly traditional rod out of it you have to find a buyer for the chassis and build a new chassis with the more traditonal pieces on it. That's a gamble but you may luck out and find someone with a tradititional chassis that just has to have all the street rod trinkets who will do a trade and throw in enough extra cash to make it worth while. That calls for tying a lot of $$$$ up for possibly several months though.  Personally that body would have to be damned nice and have enough pieces with it that I could use before I jumped on it.
    Looking on Craigslist that old dirt track Chevy isn't the worst offering as coupes around the pnw go though. This one is hacked so bad that even our best HAMB tin benders would be severely challenged to save it. https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5833756477.html

22. Pete

Pete

What he said

23. There is a street rod 33-34 chassis taken out from under a running car that has been for sale locally at 8k. Slap your body on and go...it's been for sale for months...just food for thought when thinking of buying that 5 window and selling the chassis.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. If you're on the fence about purchasing this car I would suggest taking to anyone who is familiar with them and see what they think before you buy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. kcode

kcode
    from Oregon

I've looked at the one on CL, but I get a lot more with the blue five window. I'm leaning at trying to get it for 18K and go from there. Parts wise, I think it's worth 20k, but maybe I'm wrong and that's why I'm asking here. I like the traditional ones better, but I'm not opposed to more of a custom either.

26. kcode

kcode
    from Oregon

I really don't know guys who own these cars, that's why I'm here. I can post in the more modified section and maybe they can give me more info on the 33? Thanks

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Already muddy!