Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The '38 Ford Build Thread... Again...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Oct 24, 2016.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Yes! I have yet to see this car.. but I'm pleased when I do, it'll be this version!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. NoSurf

NoSurf

3. luciomduran

luciomduran

I remember this render from the first Jalopy Journal website.

projecticon.gif

You remeber the Bob McCoy '40 sedan right? Good, take that car, mix it with a dirt track flare, a roackabilly influence, and a nasty motor and whatya got? You got The Jalopy Journal project '38.

First thing everyone asks, is why build a '38? Well, I've always been a bit different from the average Billy. Sure, I could build a '40, but every kid on my block has one of those. Besides, I got too much style... I gotta let it flow bro...

So, heres what we got. One pitch black '38 Ford Coupe with a 388ci sbc backed by a 4-speed and a 9 inch Ford. Up front there's a mustang II IFS and out back I've got a pair of coilovers hangin' down. The body is fairly stock and is straight as hell and the interior is a grey gansta swing stripe.

This car is already a driver. Hell, we even took it to the strip towards the end of the summer and managed to run some 12 second et's...

take a whiff of my pant leg baby
    (***coming soon***)

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

^ best throw back I'll read this week lol

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. luciomduran

luciomduran

You gotta let it flow bro... ;)
    I wanna say I first heard of The Jalopy Journal in a tiny write up in Rod and Custom magazine, maybe 1999 or 2000? That's when I first saw the illustration of the 1938.
    So cool to see it still around.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Ryan.Get well soon.Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's about damn time. What the hell have you been waiting on???

If you have her back together by August, I will be more than happy to hand you your ass at Mo-Kan.

-Abone.

kiwijeff, Malcolm, NoSurf and 6 others like this.
  8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

OH, I'm watching!

9. Great to hear! Now I'd love to see a blown flathead in it, but I can feel your need for more power - so the blown Y-Block will be cool as hell and you'll have the power your desire. Glad you're going back to traditional with it - can't wait to see how it shakes out!

B&S

10. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story and love the 38's!

11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

The Y block will be cool but I would love to see it with a Nailhead in it:)

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Makes me happy some of you guys have fond memories of this car. Super happy. I'll be back in town tomorrow, so updates soon!

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That car is firmly burnt into my brain. reguardless of what previously hid under that sheet metal it wreaked of hot rod.

Walking up to it I can't help but think your initial thought would be similar to walking up on a 150 lb cane corso. Wow that's cool, but fuck that thing just may wreck me better step softly.

14. Subscribed, I look forward to the updates on this one Ryan...

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Post up the P.Barrow rendering.... it would rule to build it that way...

16. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Would love to see a Paul Barrow rendering of this. Gwon show us.

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

"Rockabilly influence"... now THAT is funny shit. Ha!

Looking forward to seeing some progress.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

19. glrbird

glrbird

You don't need no stinking blower! Y-block guru just down the road
    y-block - Ted Eaton 401ci 2016.jpg
    Ted Eaton engine balancing
    1060 Wolf Creek Rd., Lorena Tx, 76655

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  20. Now Ted builds some kick ass Y block motors for sure.....

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Can't believe it yet! I was a 'Y' block guy in last year of high school, 1960; my '56 Ford Sunliner was the guinea pig for much experimentation... Sure panned out, as I was eating 283 'street racers' nightly.
    Er...and gearboxes to match! The open top T86 was the 'heavy duty' model. Cluster gear was $62.55, and it always took something else with it.
    Found the HAMB years later... Flatheads flourished, as did Cads, Oldses, and Nailheads. Natch. They were there.
    But soon after, I stumbled onto the 'Y', and lots of interest.
    McTim has worked feverishly on this engine, and has had great response. Oiling system is no longer some 'Mystery', and performance is available.
    Thanks, guys. I feared all my sweat had gone in vain...

22. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Subscribed.

23. Geocities! I haven't read that name in a looong time.

Stoked for the build!

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This was done so long ago, that I considered this hi-res:

barrow.gif

The file was created in 1998...

Edit: And I should say... this is not a rendering we are building the car to now... This was just a fantasy of sorts that I had when I first got the '38.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    OL 55, Cooon, Lazy A and 3 others like this.
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

OK... So here's an update. When I got the car 22 years ago, the body was pretty much as you see it in the old images... Really amazing old paint and absolutely zero rust...

However, it was missing most of the windshield frame... and the part that was there actually had a bullet hole through it. Now, keep in mind this was around 1994 or so... I was in Norman, Oklahoma and new to the area. I had no knowledge of swap meets and the internet wasn't around yet, so really the only tools I had available to find parts was Hemmings.

I searched for a windshield frame for about 6 months or so and finally relented and ordered a flush mount kit from an ad in Street Rodder Magazine. I didn't know any better... and I spent the next 22 years regretting the decision. That came to an end right before I left for vacation last week. That's when I left my "couch of recovery" to go out in the shop only to find Keith and Ben tearing out my old windshield and replacing it with a proper 38/39 windshield surround:

01.jpg

This was damned crazy for me to see... I can't even tell you how weird it felt... how weird it still feels... I've literally wanted to see this since the day after I installed the flush mount glass.

Now, the other and more prominently advertised issue with my '38... When I got the car, it came with absolutely no stainless trim. I searched for the trim for over 15 years. In fact, I drove the car for two or three years with the open trim holes. After a while, I became concerned about water infiltrating the car through those holes and I covered them with some black rubber half round in the length of the original trim. It actually worked out ok and looked fine until I could find some stainless.

02.jpg

I had no idea it would take me so long, but about two years ago I finally found that trim... It's in rough shape... but it's salvageable and my '38 is finally gonna have some bright work.

More updates eventually.

OL 55, LongT, Asphalt Demon and 8 others like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'd think it would be like getting new glasses after having the same frame for twenty years. You feel like you look like a totally different person, or maybe a doppelgänger of yourself.

27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I did notice the windshield many years ago, The original looks much better and being in Texas you're definitely going to need a crank out. Its amazing in these cars, even in 90 degree temps, the crank out windshield does make it comfortable. Whats the general plan on the rest? 50's mild custom??? :)

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm going for a mid 1950's race car look... Lots of inspiration from Doane Spencer and others... I actually have a directory on my hard drive full of photo inspiration. I haven't touched this directory in years, but here's a few samples from it:

Attached Files:

OL 55, Graham08, 63fdsnr and 4 others like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Street car with some inspiration taken from each similar to the Doane Spencer roadster.