Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

image.jpeg 'Hot Stuff' '55 Chevy, looks like a former Monster Mash. Does anyone know if this is Earl Smith?

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

5. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

In post 12663 the pic from Springfield-Ozark dragway...... I leaned on that fence a LOT in 64 and 65. That side of the track was the pit side, gravel pits or dirt pits. As I remember, spectators paid $1 and it cost $5 to race. They gave real wood/metal trophies. It was an AHRA track with the "spot" system...... After the races, you stood at the door on the right side of the tower and they handed out the trophies.

tommyd and loudbang like this.
  6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

7. loudbang

loudbang

posted by therhazeguy in the in motion thread

[​IMG]

8. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

i remember the northwind at lebanon valley dragstrip lebanon valley,ny having a grudge match with bob moore and his A/S 62 409

thehazguy likes this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Yep watched it many times at the valley one of my favorite chevies. My neighbor had one just like it when I was a kid and would wake up every morning to the sound of him blasting off to work LOVED It. He let me ride in a couple times and it was heaven to me as a wide eyed 11-12 year old.

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

12. loudbang

loudbang

Bob Glidden began his career in the Sportsman ranks with this B/S 427-cid ’65 Galaxie that he bought from Ed Martin Ford, where he worked as a service manager. It was followed by several Super Stock Mustangs that did well in class competition but ran too fast and often broke out during Sunday’s handicap eliminations.

G-1-1967_Bob-Glidden.jpg

13. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

loudbang do you remember the red 62 409 ragtop that ran at the valley. i think back then it was C/SA. he always ran pretty good and always seemed to get right down toward the end "running for the money"

14. loudbang

loudbang

No it doesn't ring a bell I started at dover and switched to LV around about 1968.

15. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

i meant to ad it was called the fugitive.

loudbang likes this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Youngest Champion toyko rose driver George Cureton

In a category that has had several champions in their early 20s, George Cureton is still going strong atop the list. He was 21 years, 1 month old when he captured the Stock eliminator title in 1967 with his Jenkins-powered Tokyo Rose GH/SA '56 Sedan Delivery. He edges four-time NHRA champion Jeff Taylor, who won his first Stock title in 1981, by two months. Other young Stock champions are Brad Burton (22 years, 7 months in 2010), Jason Line (24 years, 3 months in 1993), and Harvey Emmons III (26 years, 10 months in 1994).

TOYKO ROSE email.JPG

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

18. victor guilmino

victor guilmino

this sat and sun at mason and dixon dragway there is a stock superstock race come on out and see it there will be about 70 cars there

loudbang likes this.
  19. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a really good race at an older track. That just happens to have pretty good food.

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

21. counterman

counterman

Is This Thread Dead????

22. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

I would hope not

Tom 57 150 likes this.
  23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think tommyd has posted every picture of every car that ran Junior Stock ! Just kidding. Amazed at the pictures he keeps coming up with.

loudbang likes this.
  24. thehazguy

thehazguy

25. thehazguy

thehazguy

26. loudbang

loudbang

As luck would have it I got these last night to put up today.

CANADIAN Hipo Falcon.

Ford of Canada, which had an assembly line pumping out Falcons rather than Mustangs, announced that the Hi-Po engine would be available in all Falcon models (except station wagons) sold in Canada starting in the 1965 model year. According to a letter sent to the NHRA's National Dragster by the Oakville, Ontario-based Central Office of Ford Motor Company of Canada, all were equipped with the Toploader four-speed, heavy-duty suspension and brakes (if 10-inch drums all around could be considered heavy-duty), and Traction-Lok, the last of which was unavailable on '65 Mustang K-codes. All would be special orders, and indeed, research indicates that a total of seven were built through the end of July 1965--right around the time they would have stopped building these and started tooling up for the new, redesigned '66 Falcon. (There were four hardtops and three pillared coupes)

HIPO canadain falcon email.jpg

So pleased was the owner with the little Falcon's results at the acceleration contests held throughout his home province and in upstate New York, that he tried to enter the C/Stock class at that year's NHRA Nationals at Indy. He even sent in an application, asking to clarify what class he'd be eligible for. The result? A dismissive letter from the NHRA: Seven cars, production or not, was way below the 50 production examples that were apparently required for homologation in the class. Daigneau, Rivait and the Falcon were invited to join the F/X class, where they would surely get knocked out early on by all of the altered-wheelbase monsters. Daring to be different got them nowhere on a major U.S. stage.

hipo2.JPG

hipo3.JPG

hipo4.JPG

The ''Bob'' in Bob's Fords was owner Robert Daigneau; his Hi-Po Falcon, with Louis Rivalt behind the wheel, terrorized Ontario and upstate New York drag strips for most of 1965, clocking a best of 12.88 at 107 MPH with a blueprinted engine, headers and slicks.

hipo5.JPG

1947knuck, clunker, tommyd and 2 others like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

One more unusual Olds

1950 Oldsmobile N/S station wagon that was fielded in Junior Stock by Chesrown Oldsmobile out of Columbus, Ohio. company would go on to much fame with a series of 442's

1950 Oldsmobile ns station wagon.jpg

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

29. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

The Xcellerator F/S 57 Chevy wagon belonged to Roger Gittleman of Miami Fla. and I believe the picture was taken at Master's Field in Miami. Im pretty sure this was the first purpose built stocker in S Florida. The engine was built by Bob Fulp I think too. Im getting old and my memory isnt what it used to be. If someone has correct info have at it.

Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  30. bayboar

bayboar
    from arizona

looks like we OLD ONES are bailing out i know there are many more momories

loudbang likes this.