Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford Flathead Rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Horace05, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Horace05

Horace05
    from Texas

I have a Ford Flathead motor that I would like to rebuild. any suggestions on where to buy parts like Rod bearing, main bearing, pistons, rings cam bearing and gasket set ? thanks

2. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

3. Horace05

Horace05
    from Texas

Hello Capitan Insano, May I ask a silly question, Why are rod bearing for these Ford flathead V-8 motors so expensive?

4. It all depends on what you are trying to built. Are you doing a stock rebuild or are you looking to built a hotrod motor. Reds headers has great parts and great prices. Van pelt has good parts. Do you want the best of the best??? Ross pistons, merc crank and ect ect. Or stock motor you could even use Mac's auto parts in NY. I would only use the brand, best gaskets from reds or anyone who sells best gaskets they are made in USA. King makes a very good bearing and they are made in Israel. But high quality.

504640 likes this.

5. If they are the full floating bearings they are around 4-500 hundred. If you go with a later merc or even ford crank the bearings are only about 1-150. You could find a merc 4" crank and bearings for what full floating bearings cost. Then you will have a stroker motor.

6. Horace05

Horace05
    from Texas

Hello paintslinger805, Just wanting to build a stock Ford Flathead V-8. Right now the motor has 0.30 over pistons and a 0.10 0.10 crankshaft

7. Where are you in Texas and what year engine do you have?If you update your profile more folks can help.

8. Horace05

Horace05
    from Texas

Hello Texas Webb, i'm down here in Corpus Christi, Texas. I still don't know what year the engine is, I'm guessing 49 to 53 maybe ?

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just finished a 258" 8BA. I got a lot of stuff from Speedway motors (bearings and oil pump, pistons, etc.). My machinist said they were top notch parts (I think they were "King Bearings"). The prices are better than most and ordering and shipping is easy. People complain a lot about Speedway, but one thing I have found is that they seem to post all the reviews received of their products. You'll see a bunch of negative stuff here and there. That being said, the reviews of their bearings (8BA at least) were stellar.

10. I used King Bearings as well. I think they're made in Israel? I bought most of the stuff I needed from Red's Headers and H&H. Also purchased a crank and rods from So-Cal Speed. Built a 258" also. Snappy little mother

11. Or, you could try JobLot Automotive...joblotauto.com in addition to the parts from Speedway. Small biz, but great with NOS and other stock flattie stuff.
    Oh, and if your flattie coolant spouts are towards the front of the block, you probably have a 8BA.
    Flatties are awesome!!

12. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Speedway, VanPelt, C&G Early Ford, etc etc are all good places as mentioned. Unless you're buying top of the line Ross Pistons, Isky cam, blah blah blah, you're likely buying parts all made by the same factory in China, just with a different box. I know everyone here rags on China, but it's a fact of life. Shop around, and check the company's ratings on returns. Paying a little more knowing they have a great return policy is worth it. I just finished a "budget" build with pretty much your exact specs. I had my local engine shop do all the machine work. It's going in my 34 Open Cab Pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you're right! Now, why would they be making quality flathead bearings in Israel? Here's a hint : There's probably a "French Connection".

clunker likes this.
  14. Didn't joblot close shop?

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought all the internal parts for my 8ba rebuild from Red's mainly because he was 45 minutes down the 10 freeway from me but the other suppliers mentioned are a good source as well. That said the parts were USA made except for some of the bearings from Israel. Total cost for everything (less valve assembly) was around 800 bucks. Engine runs like a top. No issues.

16. dang 51504bat......I'm shipping my flathead's to you......

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  17. Horace05

Horace05
    from Texas

What is the best gasket set and Head gaskets for a Ford flathead V8

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

Flatheads are an expensive way to go slow. The SBC is the traditional solution to the flathead problems

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was for the parts from Red's only. Gotta add the valve assembly, new french rods from SoCal, machine work, new radiator and the cost ended up closer to 4K. Sorry for the confusion.

20. I got those same rods from SoCal. Awesome I must say.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate saving money. Every time I do the cheap ass parts come back to bite me in the ass. I learned over many builds and many parts on the wall of shame, buy good parts! They save money,time and frustration.

I am speaking from personal experience and with my right hand on my wallet when I say, call Mike at H and H flatheads.

22. chiro

chiro

JobLot Automotive WAS great but they are now out of business. Their number one counter man went out on his own after they closed. His name is James and he is doing business as Gotham Auto Parts (718) 878-3699. Great guy. Use him.

Andy

23. Good info,thanks.Gonna save this.

24. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those new rods from SoCal cost about the same as the machine shop said it would be to redo the rods I had.

25. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

There are only a few people making quality bearings, Clevite is way over $200 now. I use King bearings in most my builds

26. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

My 2 cents worth: It sounds like you have most of the major parts. Take the crankshaft, rods and block to the machine shop and have the block checked for cracked valve ports and bolt holes, bored, valve seats ground, the block and heads checked for flatness, the crank ground and the rods reconditioned. Take a set of new wrist pin bushings to the machinist, too, so he can ream them to fit the pins. If you are going for a stock rebuild, shop around for pistons and rings. They are always being listed on ebay, etc. at great savings. Buy stainless steel valves and new valve guides and seals. Having the machinist install stainless valve seats is a good idea, too, though so far I've not had any issues using unleaded gas with stock seats. Ford used some pretty hard seats in these. Use Best gaskets and bearings from Israel. Don't buy pistons, rings or bearings until your parts are back from the machine shop.
    The rest is less expensive like timing gears, oil pump, etc.
    Rebuilding these things is not cheap.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  27. flatjack

flatjack

The block should ALWAYS be pressure checked.

29AVEE8 likes this.
  28. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Two of my friends had flatties built at a local shop that specializes in early Ford engines. Both were over $8000.00! They run very nice but HOLY CRAP! $8000.00! I hope mine runs well after my garage rebuild. $450.00 so far but still need points, wires, coil, and carb rebuild 1487357995792.jpg 1487358001530.jpg 1487358035761.jpg

29. Don't forget the most important part: BALANCING......

Truck64 likes this.