Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Race Of Gentlemen West

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am surely banking on better weather next year. I met and visited with Cyclone Kevin, Kevin Preciado from Temple City who is recreating the Clem Waske '29, and paintslinger805, Bruce Campbell from Nipomo along with Bruce's Grandpaw, Elmer Omohundro, who raced his Deuce in the '40s and early '50s at El Mirage. Bruce is building his Deuce dedicated to Elmer, a real honor, and Elmer is acting as advisor. Doesn't get any better than this ! Just neat, neat people. Rain didn't "dampen" anyone's spirit that I saw. Even little babies who normally would be whining and whimpering were all smiles. Now I'm just patiently waiting for the signal to make reservations for TROG '17 !

paintslinger805 likes this.
  2. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Who's bruce Campbell.???:confused: I'm bruce omohundro. Gary have you been drinking while typing.:D Here's my car ,engine, and my 86 year old grandpa tuning the carbs on Sunday after the trog races. I took grandpa all around the camp grounds and he loved all the cars of his racing days. It was the greatest hotrod event Iv ever seen. He meet a 90 year old that built and raced the sprint car in the picture. They talked about racing in the good ol days for about 30 mins. It's was great to see my grandpa go back in time. Trog is the greatest show on earth....

Saxman, kidcampbell71 and heavydumper like this.
  3. Oh and btw iv lived in Grover beach area for 30 years and I loved the fact it was raining. If the tide wasn't so huge it would of be the best conditions ever. If it was a normal Grover beach day by 11 it would of been so windy sand would of been every where. The clouds made it a picture perfect day as well. Straight sun light would of killed the picture taking. All I can say is next year I hope they look in a tide book before making the date. Still for me the best money iv ever spent to see the kind of cars and production trog west was. I'm glad to say I was there.

4. LBCD

LBCD

Was planning on bringing my camera on Sunday...so these cell phone pics have to do.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. LBCD

LBCD

530sandman and 509garyd like this.
  6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, the short answer is YES about drinking, and typing. I have no idea where Campbell came from. Maybe a dream I had ? You know, seeing all the comments about the weekend made me so happy in light of the weather not cooperating, and who's counting anyway ? I read on here that Pismo was the last beach allowing driving on it. When Elmer and I talked while driving to your Dad's house, he told me that Colorado Blvd was wherre they raced back in the day. We just HAD to check it out and it felt good simply cruising back and forth until we finally had to leave for Blythe. You guys really made this old fart one happy old fart, no kidding. Now we have pictures plus, and more importantly, memories. Be talking to you and Kevin right here before long. TROG.....The Greatest Show on Earth. That should be on T-shirts. Gary and Joyce

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  7. Awesome coverage, I will be making the trip next year for sure....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks to everyone for the great shots. What's a little rain and wind when you're at the beach?!

9. VonKool13

VonKool13

By far the best Hot Rod event EVER! I don't even need to go to another show again until next TROG. here's my contribution....

Attached Files:

509garyd likes this.
  10. VonKool13

VonKool13

11. VonKool13

VonKool13

12. DAM! Now I have this kink in my neck......

OL 55 likes this.
  13. Bruce,
    Nice shot of it with the rearend back under the car. Did you get the brake lines ran? Just need some taller tires under the back now and it will look KILLER.

14. I love this picture! Thanks for posting it!
    Where was the other guy? It took 2 runs for me to finely get it RIGHT!
    I sure was hoping to go back out there on Sunday!
    Joe

509garyd and lbcd like this.
  15. LBCD

LBCD

Saxman, 509garyd and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. NOAH324

NOAH324

Anyone know any more about this car? Looks like it has some history...
    3023.jpg
    More photos here ...

kidcampbell71, Saxman and 509garyd like this.
  17. Ha Ha, I was hoping so, because I thought you was gonna say he was in front of me! lol (I tried a start in second on my second run!) "I'm sure it was bogus advise!" Just like my first run ,I was told to slip the clutch until I'm rolling and then floor it! I started to catch him anyways even with the Uni-foam choking out my carbs!
    I actually passed him before we hit the sand woops, like hitting jumps! LOL (We was both bouncing and was pointing at each other, then the ocean,then the beach then back at each other! I think we ran a little too far passed the finish line!) "Max is crazy like me!" But the finish line was behind me! (It was his win!) I took them P.O.S. Uni-foams out!!!! after that race!

Was this picture before or after the finish line? I didn't look back because I knew there was big sandy jumps at the end of the track! This was my 3rd and last race! I tried to get one more in but they wouldn't let me! The day was done! This picture is one of the videos I posted but I couldn't tell how far ahead I was cause the video was from the starting line!
    Thanks again! It's also Awesome to see both cars!
    Joe

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Saxman likes this.
  18. LBCD

LBCD

Joe, this is before the finish fine...it was great seeing you guy's run on the sand...thankyou... it was an amazing day!
    Damien

Sent from my QMV7A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

530sandman likes this.
  19. Thank you for coming out and taking pictures and also being a part of the First annual T.R.O.G.West!
    Joe

lbcd likes this.
  20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Gary,
    It was great talking to Joyce and you as well as meeting Dennis also. You're all great people. We made the best of the situation and those with race cars ended up doing their thing on the beach. Goal achieved.

Not really sure if we'll see the likes of an event of that nature any time soon as it really tested many people and financial resources.

Looking over the mixed feedback from the event, I can say that "ya can't please em all", but the ones that were pleased will talk about this for years to come;).

I'm still buzzing from this experience, fate being what it was, my car couldn't race :(.... I could have just ran it as a racer without a fan or cooling system as the conditions were probably more in my favor. :D

In reality, my responsibility was to T-W & that came 1st and it's now a memory. ;). I'm glad that you and many others had fun and one day I hope that it can be pulled off again.

21. 73170029.jpg 73170003.jpg 73170006.jpg 73170007.jpg 73170008.jpg 73170034.jpg 73170012.jpg 73170013.jpg 73170015.jpg 73170018.jpg A bit late too the party. I went old school and shot film, no instant gratification with that. I had to actually wait a week for it to get developed.
    As has been noted, a truly outstanding event. Not just the cars but the people, met some really great people from all over the globe, not a bad car (or motorcycle) in the bunch. What a weekend.

NOAH324, 530sandman, Jeff34 and 4 others like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I still love the way quality film shots look either in print on on the net. Great stuff there.

23. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Better late than never Ric. They are real nice shots. Thanks for showing them!

Geoff aka whodaky

24. Xav

Xav
    from Geneva

25. Xav

Xav
    from Geneva

26. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Xav, in a time that some mess with the way photos look, your pics are like we were there

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

You got a good eye Ric, like the old days when you ALWAYS had your camera! I agree with what you say about TROG...awesome! And the black and white film; very period-correct! Do I see a flathead in your future?
    Thanks for posting to you and everyone who's posted pictures.
    Johnny

28. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

GREAT POST!!!____________STARTED BY RYAN______________PICKED UP BY___EVERYBODY!!!

29. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

HELLO : NVRRDUNN!! In post #77: that racer #15 '; What is that 'single-stick' conversion with the 3 Winfields on the right & 4 stacks on the left?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  30. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

Seth Hammond's roadster runs a DO Hal on a 5 main Hal block.

kidcampbell71 likes this.