Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm going to guess 1790# with fluids and driver ready-to-race.

Babyearl likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Wow don't know how I missed this great build. Spent 1/2 the day reading from the beginning and caught up will be following for sure.

1947knuck and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I received this package from Pat. I thought how nice, Pat sent me a pizza ! I opened the box to discover it was a steering wheel, and something extra, a copy of his latest book. The steering wheel is always the crowning touch to any cockpit, and this one really fits the bill. I placed the order for the torsion bars, and between now and when they arrive, the next element will be rolling up the roll bar hoop. Thanks Pat, for the wonderful book, I will see you at Bakersfield on Friday. IMG_7074.JPG IMG_7070.JPG IMG_7071.JPG IMG_7072.JPG

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I need a copy of that book too, I was hoping the book vendor guy that always shows up at Monroe would have one, but he didn't.

5. Are you guys going to CHRR then? I will be coming over from England to go to that too!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'm going to have to go back and read through this post again. I'm hep for torsion bar suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

See ya there Marty.
    Maybe I should just make the 20 minute drive to your place today, would be a lot cheaper.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  8. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

If you're looking for a copy of my new book Hot Rod Gallery II, you can order one directly from the publisher (Cartechbooks.com). I signed the first 100 harbound copies, and they still have some of these left (regular price). They also released a softbound version of the original Hot Rod Gallery book (lower price) at the same time. If you're in the L.A. area, AutoBooks in Burbank (autobooks-aerobooks.com) also has several copies I signed last weekend. They are glad to ship these anywhere in the world. Regular copies are available at Barnes & Noble and other usual places.

Since this is the 25th Calif. H.R. Reunion at Bakersfield, and I had the Iacono dragster at the first in bare metal when I first got it, I figured I'd better bring it to this one, and signed up (paid...) for the Cackle Fest. Couple days ago I got a letter starting "After careful consideration and lengthy discussion...we regret that your car wasn't selected" to be one of the 40 Cacklers. Further "The selections were based on historical significance of the car, driver, and/or team together with the originality of the car and its racing achievements. Additional consideration was given to...Reunion Honorees..."

Well. Geez. I would mention that the Iacono dragster is completely original, fully restored, quite successful in its day, a Hot Rod mag cover car, and that Ike was chosen as a CHRR "Reunion Honoree" a few years ago. So I don't quite get it. On the other hand, I'm not a big cackle fan. When I fuel up, and fire up this car, I want to run it down a track as fast as it will go. So I will have it on display to look at in Bakersfield at the CHRR. If you want to hear it, smell it, and see it run, come to Eagle Field, or anywhere else that will let it. It's a long way to Mokan, but with luck (and bucks) hopefully you'll see it at the HAMB drags, too. We'll see.

Cheers, Pat Ganahl

TerrytheK, kiwijeff, hendelec and 8 others like this.
  9. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Ditto Pat

I think it is really sad not to let the fuelers lite the tires for 500 ft, to show the fans how it was at least a taste of it

DND

volvobrynk, loudbang and Speedwrench like this.
  10. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Not including the Iacono rail - not historically significant enough - that's BS

Not running 500 feet - be like Marilyn Monroe wearing a nun's habit - you know what it should look like, but .....

loudbang likes this.
  11. brad2v

brad2v

"The selections were based on historical significance of the car, driver, and/or team together with the originality of the car and its racing achievements. Additional consideration was given to...Reunion Honorees..."

Really? Really really?
    Wow

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

As Pat stated, he is bringing his Dragster for display, and I will be coming for the first time in 11 years. I am also looking forward to meeting some of you guys from England, Australia, and fellow countrymen, see you there ! Spalding 6.jpg

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Doug, You should make it a point to drop by one of these days, and maybe we could get a "Helvetia Burger".

1947knuck likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now your talk'n!
    I'm sure people are reading this and saying "what the hell is a Helvetia burger".
    Been there a few times since the remodel, still great burgers and fries but it has lost a bit of the original feel of the "old days".
    Good plan Marty. Maybe give Larry Anderson a call too.
    See ya in Bako.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  15. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Ok guys what is a ' Helvetia Burger '

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

17. Grabbed Pat's autographed hardcover today - wish I could see him in person with the Ike dragster but not in the cards this year.

Steve

18. YOU GOTTA BE SHITTIN' ME!!!! I was wondering why I didn't get the call to drive the push truck... :(

My guess is that in order to be included in the 40 you have to be in the "Cackle Club", with the secret handshake, blood initiation and all that...

I'll see you down there!

Sam

loudbang, volvobrynk and brad2v like this.
  19. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

My ears were burning over the Helvetia Burger mention. An absolute staple of the area and the very last thing I did with my dad was grab a burger and fries there. I'm in. Enjoy the meet boys, I'll be catching updates online between swim lessons and soccer practice for the boy. It's hell being responsible. Looking forward to my boy getting a bit older and we can be irresponsible together.

mad mechanic and loudbang like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We'll be think'n of ya Larry.
    Stay dry:rolleyes:

21. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

Pat, we'll see you down there this weekend, I too got the same letter 2 days before the 23 hour tow down! That really had me thinking twice!

Your car though has far more historical significance than mine, and I can't think of any reason that it shouldn't be on the track with the rest!

I hope to make it to eagle field some time in the future with one of my cars, and let it hang out a bit on the track surface!

Brant!

22. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Brant,
    Wow, that's an impressive collection of rails. We just drove through Calgary a few weeks ago, and that's a looong tow down to Bakersfield just to park and show. Hopefully you have somewhere up there to run these things. I'd love to see (and hear) more of them. I'll be towing up to B-Field tomorrow, and I'll be content just to clean off and display my sort-of historic car.
    Pat Ganahl

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Brant, Is that Earl Poage's Dragmaster, If so, I watched it run many times. See you there ! Earl Poage 1.jpg Earl Poage 2.jpg

1947knuck, kiwijeff, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres some irony, some people considered the Iacono car "historically significant" when some of the other current cackle cars were still actively racing.:confused: Go figure...

brad2v and volvobrynk like this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

2012 Tri-Five club picnic. Man I miss this show...:(
    tri 5 picnic 2012 001.jpg

1947knuck, kiwijeff and Dean Lowe like this.
  26. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

Marty, that is the original Earl Poage drag master. It's way cool, but just display as of now, the owner hasn't made it functional sadly!

loudbang likes this.
  27. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

Pat, sad to hear I couldn't catch you on the way through Calgary, I'd have invited you to my (terribly messy) shop, there's 3 digger and a 4th on the way in there! Haha if you see my little orange car over by speedsport and Wayne King, come say hi! I'm the young guy with the flat top hair cut! Haha

Myself and my dad actually stopped at the same gas station as you (with the six'er in tow) in 2008 I believe, just after you'd gotten the car I would think!

See you soon!

28. tractorguy

tractorguy

OK.......what a weird small world this.....Helvetia Burger from the Helvetia Tavern outside Hillsboro ?? Our daughter moved out to work in Portland several years ago. She fell in love with a guy from Hillsboro........Mark Hutchins and his large family were long time farmers in the area. In between several college stints he was the manager of the Helvetia Tavern for several years. His brother was also one of the cooks.
    On all of our road trips out to Oregon (including several purchases and sales of "traditional stuff" to new friends in Idaho), we always planned one evening to go to Helvetia for burgers.....and I always needed a doggy bag !!

With mixed feelings, we moved our daughter back to Chicago for her new job (we will really miss the trips out West)......and we also moved our future son-in-law Mark back after completion of his masters degree to teach in Chicago.

What a great combo.......dirt roadsters......six cylinder Chev/GMC stuff......Pat Ganahl who I was blessed to meet many years ago in California......Marty Strode ( who I would love to meet after following this and previous builds)......Hillsboro ........and Helvetia burgers !! Have fun guys

loudbang likes this.
  29. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

1477086571725.jpg Couldn't find any live coverage from the CHRR online, had to settle for this on a Friday afternoon

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1947knuck, gas pumper and tractorguy like this.