Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects # 44 Bentley Warren. S/360

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meengrinch, Sep 29, 2016.

1. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

image.jpg Getting ready to restore Bentley's # 44 which was also ran as the s/360 of Don diffendorth.....I will get into the story later .....this will be another on of the found in a junk yard in Virginia going to be fun.......Like to have comments if you will follow the rebuild........They keep the fire going.........A new neat twist is along with Scotty joining in we have Wayne Rogers joining in...........Wayne worked along with Bentley and Jim Carter on the original build

Attached Files:

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Amazing. I heard that guy could REALLY drive! Gary

3. tractorguy

tractorguy

Absolutely.......always interested in threads about bringing old race cars back to life. And, yes, even those of us racing and building in the Midwest knew of Bentley Warren and how dominate he was in the East. Get to work !!

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

According to the guy I got it from, this was a car built for Bentley at some point , they couldn't work the bugs out , and gave up on it.
    I got it out of a backyard in Georgetown, Mass. I can't remember the details, but didn't want to see it go to the scrap yard. Amazing what people throw away.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    kiwijeff, bakes and ABONES like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

congrats on saving it

6. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Qq image.jpeg
    any history on that car......builder? Drivers? Owners? Tracks it ran on....car numbers?

kiwijeff, 34FordConv and falcongeorge like this.
  7. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

"Meengrinch"-
    Are you going to the "Pines Speedway" reunion in Groveland tommoro? ( Sat.-Oct 1st)
    Bentley usually shows up for that, and between him and all the old timers ,I'm sure there's tons of info. available. They also have tables full of photos and race memerobilia from back in the "Pines" hey-day. There's a guy from Rockport who's got 2 8ft. tables full of photo albums. ( and he's an ex-racer).
    I used to go there when I was in high school ( 65-66) with Ronnie Strong and a gang with a car sponsored by "Leo's Esso" on Western Ave. in Gloucester. Ronnie and his family own "R.B. Strong" construction in Gloucester at the site of the old gas station.
    Another good source of info. is Steve Newman ( "Speedway Welding Supply") who , with a couple of friends, has restored and built reproductions of Ollie Silva's cars ( "The Big "O")which are usually on display at this event.
    I'll see if I can run down some info on that frame, but that was a while ago.
    THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS JUNK!!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    stillrunners likes this.
  9. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

image.jpeg I am going to the Pines.......I am bringing my 64 Nova #14. Stop over

10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Lettering #44 at John Tiernan's shop in Rowley Massachusetts around 1991 Striper13.jpg

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Moselli

Moselli

Not trying to take away from your find or the project you are doing. Correct me if I am wrong, but being somewhat familiar with the former Bentley Warren slant back coach that became S/360, I'm not sure that the frame and body you show in the pictures are parts of the original car? That said, I'm old and frequently wrong. (My wife says I'm always wrong...)

Glenn Scott was the car owner who worked for IBM and used the S/360 computer model as the car number when he and Diff teamed up in 1965 at Shangri La Speedway in Owego, New York. Diff continued to use this number after Glenn gave up racing. (I. E. - The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one.)

I believe it was in 1971 that Walt Stevens bought the Coach for Diff and it was nicknamed the "Flying Cockroach." This was during the evolution of asphalt modifieds going from straight front axles to independent suspensions. The straight front axle front axle was retained but if memory serves me it was reconfigured to a four-link with Reese trailer bars. With Diff behind the wheel the car was a front runner on dirt and asphalt.

Regards,

Moselli

13. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

The body shone in the pictures is not the original body it is a spare body that. May or may not be used in the retro. The frame and cage are original ......the front end has the Reese set up the rear has been changed to leaf springs but will be remade to the Reese set up ....This car is set up to use a hand clutch or your foot verified by Bentley ......the original seat matches the bolt holes set nearly over the rear end........Bentley is stopping over to verify things.....will let you know

14. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Well day one of the restro.........moved it into the little garage getting some info and dimensions before we strip it down for some sandblasting. Doesn't look like too many changes save for the rear suspension which is now two rear springs instead of the trailer bars which were used at first.....couple pics

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Has left me of course a bunch of questions...........esp the mounting of the ressebars in the rear......I wonder if any crew members from this car when Don Diffendorth #360 ran in the new your area.....would love to chat with anyone that worked or followed this car in the mid 70's.......if anyone has some idea of any crew members give me shout on here

Attached Files:

16. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

image.jpeg image.jpeg L image.jpeg Well.......day 2..... Kind of fun to match up what parts we got with the car to bolt holes.....neat to see what was built in 1969......certainly different.......before anyone yells this not the rear end we are using it was stuck in there for rolling purposes.........we will do all we can to make this rebuild as close to the way it was run........I will try to post the races This car has won at a later date........

Attached Files:

17. Rand Man

Rand Man

Wish I had something to add, but I will follow your build (rebuild). I dig vintage circle track racing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Well sandblasting done.......thanks to Bentley 's crew......a few pics.........

Moselli likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

20. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out Meengrinch. One of my all time favourite drivers, keeping the history alive is great to see. Will Bentley drive it? Miss you on Pinners, I cannot even get on there anymore my password has been lost and no one seems to be running the site anymore.

Good luck with the build.

21. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Attached Files:

22. cool build there...

23. [​IMG]

I have a Frankland mag disc hub if you need it.

24. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Robert.........Thank you for the offer. I am planning to go to the Lee Speedway Flea market on Sat. If I don't find any I will get back to you the first of the week........once again Thank you. J/M

25. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Well Robert I had no luck at the flea market . Well I did score some 3/4" heim ends I needed but no hubs..If at all possible could you send me a couple pics of the Franklin hub and how much your asking for it. Thanks. J/M

26. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Here's a couple shots.......front end is together rough getting set to square the rear next week.....

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. Love it, keep it going !

28. pitman

pitman

Great thread!
    Lots to learn from looking at the old roll-cage builds.

29. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Great stuff and good progress! Awesome to see old racers being made track-ready again. My ex brother-in-law and I did it years ago with a pair of early '30's coupes. Regards, Dave.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016