Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The '40/41 Pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 25, 2016.

1. metalman

metalman

Not from Reno, I'm from the nice cool New Mexico desert. Actually, I hardly ever put A/C in my hot rods, don't like how they look, especially under the hood. Built this one to auction on a budget, sometimes you got to figure in weather or not it'll hammer for a couple thousand more if it has air. Funny thing I've learned about auctions is it's more visual then function that sells. I figured the new owner could always add it, which in this case he did.

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

I drove to Hot Springs AR and grabbed this 41 over the weekend.

It has been in a barn for the last 40 years.

It's really solid, but could use some better rear fenders.

IMG_3610.JPG IMG_3611.JPG

3. That oughta keep you out of the bars for a while. ;)

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. That's my old truck... haven't seen it for years[​IMG][/QUOTE]

5. flamin01a

flamin01a

I've posted this before, but a friend used a ford ranger bench seat in his 40 p/u and it works well. It has a muncie four speed, and a 40 clutch pedal. I've driven it before, it works well.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Have you priced 'better' fenders?
    Out here in SoCal, rear fenders are worth more than the whole truck. The last good set I saw and there were a buddys he offered them to me for what he paid $350.00 for the pair, I had to pass and he sold them for I think $350 each.[/QUOTE]

7. Bader2

Bader2

[/QUOTE]

Was in saskatoon a few years back at superrun.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wedjim likes this.
  8. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I too love '40-'41 pick ups and this is the second one I have owned and it is a keeper, same owners pictured below since 1963, so for 53 years this was their baby.......
    \'41 Ford and OG owners.jpg

9. ^^^^He doesn't look too happy^^^^

Can't say that I blame him.

slv63 likes this.
  10. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

He was sad but wanted it gone since he is 74 years old and no longer wants to work on it anymore, he made me promise not to Street Rod it so that will be easy to uphold. I told him anytime he want to stop by and drive it he can.

11. LTM75110

LTM75110

Great find, Maybe when comes time for some engine work ,a set of heads and an intake can find their way onto the engine.

12. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I thought I would share the story with you all on how I found this neat old truck, Well I needed a clutch ball for the '40 linkage on my '32 3W I am building and a guy on ebay had one locally for a good price, hit the buy it now and told him I will pick it up and save shipping, so a few days later I stop by his house to pick the clutch ball and he lives in an old part of town in a mid century house that he has lived in since '65, so as always I ask does he have any other flathead parts, he says yes watch my ad on craiglist, then I respond well I am here so do you have time to show me what you got, we go around to the side yard past this '41 Ford Truck then to his shed where I picked up some brakes, shifter and some drums. So I causally ask about the '41 and he tells me he has owned since '63 when he lived in Laurence Kansas where it once was a City truck, it was all stock including the 6 volt. He said he was too old to work on it and wanted to sell it to younger guy who would not street rod it. He gave me a price that was good and 3 days later I was loading up. Plans are to lower it with big n little black wall Firestone on stock steel wheels and maybe a 12 volt conversion other than that just drive it!
    20161007_174424_resized.jpg 20161007_174440_resized.jpg
    20161007_174501_resized.jpg
    20161007_174531_resized.jpg

13. Man, that's just dead luck! You were in the right place, at the right time, with the right guy. Congratulations!

I could use some pics of how the seat bottom and back cushions mount/mate up if you could take some pics and PM them. Thanks!

14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The latest revisions to the 36 Fordy:
    Painted the wheels and changed back to small caps, replaced old horn grille turn signals with new headlight conversion that added stock positioned parking lights that double as turn signals... looks much better to me.
    BTW, I also had the interior insulated along with installing a headliner and carpet... dang truck is starting to ALMOST look finished but I know that will never happen! Also revamped the engine to become an "Australian Ford.";)
    IMG_2241.JPG
    IMG_2243.JPG
    IMG_2243.JPG
    Australian Ford by Al.JPG

Your pickup doesn't HAVE to look like everybody else's pickup.;)
    Still have to add my new V8 horn grilles... one day!

DesertRat#1, rc57, cactus1 and 5 others like this.
  15. deucemac

deucemac

I have enjoyed reading all the responses on '40 & '41 pickups. I always thought of them as the original "Ranchero". I have owned 7 of them over the years and liked each of them except the last. I scrounge up a good frame and all the other parts to build number 7 and then took a job far from where I lived at the time. So I spread the word that my '40 pickup was for sale. Next thing I know a friend of a friend comes by to look at the truck. The cab, rear end and front end was together and the rest was in piles around the garage. I had installed Pete and Jakes Chevy engine mounts and the dropped axle front end was chromed. Got it used for a good price. My idea was to put a good running and driving truck that I could use everyday and still take on rod runs when the time came. Kind of a high class beater and not a worry about everything show piece either. Anyway, this guy shows up hot to trot and inspects everything. He looks at the mounts and asks what they are. I tell him they are for Chevy and he gasps. Well I am putting a Ford in it, he says. So I ask him if he had ever done one to which he replies, no, but it isn't that hard. I told him that even though I was a Ford guy, a Chevy fits so much easier than a Ford and my idea was to make a nice bullet proof driver without too much cost or down time. He looked at me like I was some moron. We talked some more and then he found a small rust hole about the size of a quarter in the right rear kick up abut where the X meets the side rail. He goes into a panic about the hole and how difficult it will be to fix. I tell him how it will take all of an hour to fix and once painted won't be noticed. He went home and called me the next day to buy it and paid my asking price without haggle. He got a complete truck with two good cabs 4 doors, hoods, a set and a half of fenders, but didn't want the 350/350 set up. He took it home and I moved away. Fast forward a few years and I move back to the area and ask my friend how his friend was doing on my old 40. He had not touched it. He hauled it home and never touched it again. Seems he was worried about the rust repair, hadn't attempted the engine installation at all and it sat outside next to his barn along side a Corvair. That was in 1985 and for years I could drive by on the freeway, look on the hillside and see it there turning a larger pile of iron oxide. A few years ago his neighbor built an out building which blocked my view from the freeway. Last year I ran into my old friend and inquired about my old truck. Yes the other guy still had as far as he knew. I asked him to talk to the guy next time he saw him and see if he would part with it. A few days later he called to tell me that, yes he had the truck but , no it wasn't for sale because he was going to fix it up! Only 31 years of weather, outside, on a hill, in Palmdale Ca. From a real chance for a cool driving pickup to a genuine rust bucket. I figure some day I will find another one hopefully as nice as that one. But this time there won't be a reason to sell it to a dreaming fool.

albertaboy likes this.
  16. Great truck, Al.

Almost have all the missing bits rounded up for my '41.

Is that RH mirror arm the same as the LH, just turned around? I need a plain one, if you have a spare.
    Thanks,
    Bill

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Looks like the same arm works on either side.
    What do you think?
    IMG_2256.JPG
    IMG_2257.JPG

Helpful Al

10/22/16 I just noticed that may pictures show how I flattened the ends of the running boards to match the normal front running board design on 40-41 pickup boards...of course, THIS truck is the VERY rare 1936 Super Deluxe model.;)
    I presume they picked up the design feature for the later 1940 pickups.:D

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  18. Thanks, looks like it to me. Now to find a gennie one.

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I'll dig around... might have one left around here somewhere but doubt seriously if it would be an original. They are readily available, I believe, as repops.
    Keep workin'
    Al

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

catdad49 and LTM75110 like this.
  21. rpm56

rpm56

I'm not a Chevy guy, but those rear fenders look more at home than Henry's.

22. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Sweet 36 Cabriolet!! oops 40.Like the stance Hell I like everything about it!! Also A Ford in A Ford.I want one!!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    hotcoupe likes this.
  24. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I'm a little further along than this photo shows. It's all white primer now.
    I spent the spring and summer buttoning up my 65 Corvette L78 clone, and now I can get back to working on the truck. The cab needs one more coat of primer and then the prepping for paint starts. The truck has a brand new frame, new Ford 9" and a Super Slide II IFS. This truck has been a money pit.
    The colour will be an original 1940 Ford called Cordoba grey.
    I'll be selling the truck in 2017 unless someone offers me enough money now to recoup my investment:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know the feeling. Too bad you're not a dedicated Hershey visitor. You'd have gone home with one for sure, if not a 1/2 dozen other dream rides. I spied 2 different original 40 Standard coupes and 1 older restoration that was so well done you could call it an original. Reasonable money too. Ok, maybe you shouldn't attend after all...:eek:

26. @Ryan .... you've probably seen this already. It is YOUR classified section .... but maybe you haven't ... (drugs !!) ... hope you're doing and feeling better. And away we go !! >>>>

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1941-ford-pickup.1033117/

.... upskirt shots .... face unseen to protect the innocents. :) Take care sir.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<apologies if re-posted>

mgtstumpy, LOU WELLS and kiwijeff like this.
  27. ^^^ looks great on top, underside, not so much.

28. tofords

tofords

This is my 18th 40-41 ford truck, it's a 1941 all steel, 350/350, m-2 front and rear, very nice driver. IMG_4670.JPG IMG_4668.JPG IMG_4658.JPG IMG_4657.jpg IMG_4664.JPG

29. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

Must have been there quite a while to have 23 trees get in the way, Looks terrific.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

Great trucks. My favorites are those wearing their natural patina, or older paint jobs. They seem to take a different aura when they wear show quality paint.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app