Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 5W Parked in 1952

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T&A Flathead, Oct 15, 2016.

1. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

This 32 5W has been hidden away in a barn for 64 years. It's still hard to believe it's mine.

image.jpeg
    Here's the story.
    Back in early 2014 a friend of mine was up in northwestern Missouri junk yard picking and wondered into a small barn and saw this lonely coupe. He wasn't into early Fords so he took a picture and went on his way. A few weeks later he showed me this pic.
    image.jpeg
    I instantly started asking questions, where, who, how long ago.... I didn't stop talking long enough to hear the answers. After I took a breath, he told me the details and gave me a name and number. He said the owner had a farm and a salvage yard with cars dating back to the 40's.

Because the owner recently had an auction selling off some of his cars (retirement plan), I quickly called to see what I could find out about the old coupe.

I spent at least an hour on the phone. He told me stories about him, his wife and friends cruising around town in the coupe in the early 50's. He bought it from his friend for $15. Some time in 1952, he thinks the fuel pump quit so he parked it. It sat outside next to his barn for quite a few years. He knew better, so he decided to build a lean-to around it.

After a few more stories and memories I asked if he would sell it. He hummed and hawed a bit and said he's turned down a lot of money already but said he'd sell it if the money was right. I offered what I thought was on the high side of fair and he said he had been offered a lot more. So, disappointed a bit I said I may go higher but I would need to see it first. I could tell he wasn't interested in selling it so I suggested that I would check back in with him later in the year.

I let a few months pass. He was still not real keen on selling but said they could use the money to fix up their old house. He and his wife were living in the farm house his great grandfather built. We talked price a bit more, but we were still off a ways. At that point, I mentioned the car needs to be out of the barn and running again. He liked the idea and said he had always wanted to get it running again. I told him I'd be willing to help get it going. He was surprised I'd help an old man. At that time I only lived about 2 hours away and thought it was well worth it. Besides, who gets a chance to get an old '32 running again. No plans were made, so I said I would check back in again.

Few more months pass. I called him again, no change; the car still sitting untouched. I offered to trade him my all original Model A so he could have a running old car again. That peaked his interest but not enough.

That was the last time I talked to the old man.

....more later.

2. alchemy

alchemy

It's later.......tap......tap......tap.

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Do I have to stay awake longer to get more of a good read? Do I just go to sleep and check back? Will I be able to sleep now with you starting this?
    This is a lot better than you making it to TROGw.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

T&A Flathead and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Yes!! Got a teaser on IG but now the full story, can't wait for the rest.
    These deuces keep turning up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. I have herd of a original 3 window in my state that the guy has had for 60 years . Never takes it out and it sets in a garage. I am on the hunt for the real story on this one .
    Vic

T&A Flathead likes this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

dan c, triman62 and T&A Flathead like this.
  7. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Here is the rest...

Fast forward to September 2016, I received a call that he had passed away and that the old coupe was still in the barn. I talked to his wife and son and they were interested in selling the old car. I talked to the owners son for quite a while, telling him about all the time his dad and I spent on the phone talking about the old coupe. We were able to agree on a price range and a weekend that I could come see it. Because it was a few weeks after our call he promised I would get the first shot at buying the coupe.

7 weeks later my family and I are headed southwest to look at a 32 coupe in a barn that has been parked since 1952, I couldn't believe it. It's now an 8hr drive because my family and I moved to Milwaukee earlier in the year.

We arrive later on Saturday evening than I had hoped. I knew it was going to be dark soon. Pulling up to the house, we drove by car after car in the pasture that had been resting for decades. Some worth saving, I thought to myself, I'll be back.

When we got to the house, I met the son and the old man's widow wife. I could tell they were great people right away. The son knew why were there so he quickly said "lets go look at the model B, be careful walking through here and watch for cow pies." We walked back through a treed area to get to the barn, my son Sam and I were scanning to see what else may be worth saving. We finally get to the barn with the coupe and this is what I see.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

caseyajones, Uribe, SPEC and 25 others like this.
  8. What a find,lucky man.

9. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

T&A Flathead likes this.
  10. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Wow , very nice car to start a project with.

T&A Flathead likes this.
  11. 2muchstuff

2muchstuff
    from Eastern KS

Great score Tim!! Glad you were finally able to get this one.

Looks like a road trip to Milwaukee might be in order to check this one out!!

T&A Flathead likes this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats !

T&A Flathead likes this.
  13. brad2v

brad2v

It's amazing that this stuff is still popping up. I read somewhere (probably here) somebody floating the idea that we've reached a point in time where all the decent tin sitting outside is long gone, so most of what is going to be found now will be the really nice stuff, since it's indoors. As the owners of these cars age, the cars are getting discovered. Your car supports that idea. Great find, congrats. Plans yet? You had an 8 hour tow home to build it in your head over and over :D

caseyajones, wedjim and T&A Flathead like this.
  14. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

way to go Tim !!!!!!

15. That's just amazing!!
    You need to buy your friend a steak dinner for the tip.
    Post some more pics.

16. Very nice find

17. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

The lean-to that the coupe was in was dark and tight. I couldn't get a real good look at the car , but I'm not sure that mattered as I knew it was coming home with me.

I started to talk price again with the son and he said, "no, just stop right there; you have to make the deal with mom."
    I thought to myself this is going to be tough. We all walked back to the old farm house and mom was in the kitchen making cookies.

We all sat down at the table each with a fresh oatmeal raisin (my favorite by the way) cookie and after we got through the small talk, we started talking about the old coupe. If you haven't done it , trying to make a deal with a very sweet old lady that just lost her husband and made you cookies is more difficult than it appears. She wanted more money than I offered. So, she started asking what I did for a living and if buying and selling old cars was a part of it. I explained cars and particularly old fords is just a hobby that I have always had but am now teaching it to Sam. We talked a bit more about other things and then she randomly said, would you meet in the middle. I told her I couldn't quite get there, not because I didn't want to but I didn't bring enough. I was $500 short to what could be a buy of a life time. She thought about it a little while longer. I could tell this was very hard for her as she had memories with the old coupe too. She finally said, I'll take it. I told her, Thank You.

Not sounding too eager, I said now how do we get it out of there. It was pitch black outside. Didn't realize we had been in the house for well over an hour. My wife and daughter (3) were still sitting in the truck. The old lady and son both said you aren't getting it tonight, it will have to wait until morning.

"Go get your wife and daughter, I will make us some dinner and I will find you a place to stay the night." She is in her 80's mind you. I tried to say no, but she insisted. She made us a great spir of the moment dinner, she told stories about her life with her late husband there on the farm. It was a great time, a little awkward but still great. Once dinner was over, she phone a drive up roadside motel for us to stay the night. The nearest town with a brand hotel was 30 miles away. We all said good night and would be back at sun rise.

The next morning the son and I talked about how to get the car out of the barn and out of the wooded area. There was no way to get a truck and trailer back there. He had brought a skid-steer back with him thinking that was the best plan and I'm glad he did. It worked great. He also had removed the back wall of the lean-to as there was no way it was coming out the front.

image.jpeg

We strapped it up to the bobcat and out of the barn it came. First time out in a long time.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Previous owners son and my son Sam.

image.jpeg

I can't find words to express what I was feeling that day. (And still feel every time I look at the coupe).
    He pulled with the bobcat and I steered it through the trees and other obstacles to get it to a clearing where I could load it in the trailer.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

We got it in the trailer and strapped in for the long ride back to Mikwaukee.
    I exchanged phone numbers and addresses with the old lady to keep in touch. She want to see pictures of the progress Sam and I make. She also wanted my address to send the title as soon as she finds it. Amazing, she thinks she can find the title.

We said our good byes and we headed back for Wisconsin.

18. Milwaukee hey ??? , me too , would love a chance to see it, if possible. Scruffy.

T&A Flathead likes this.
  19. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are so lucky.It couldn't have happened to a better person I'm thinking,from your other builds...

T&A Flathead likes this.
  20. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I offered to help the son and widow identity and price all of their other cars that are worth saving. As soon as they are ready I will help them post them here on the HAMB.

Here is a few more pictures after I got it unloaded at my shop.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    I wish I knew why it has a Cadillac wheel.
    image.jpeg

I'm looking for an original fuel tank, a seat, and a floor. Otherwise this old coupe is pretty complete and solid.

caseyajones, brEad, Stogy and 15 others like this.
  21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Wonderful story.......great people on both sides of this deal. Congratulations.

Ray

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think that may be a Dodge steering wheel.....but that still doesn't answer the 'why' part. But I recall it was common to change steering wheels as it was an inexpensive way to 'dress up' the interior.......back in the day'.

Ray

Stogy, i.rant, T&A Flathead and 2 others like this.
  23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Awesome story! She might be able to apply for a duplicate title since they lost it, It may still be in the husbands name??? I would want to get that squared away as soon as possible.

24. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy crap, thats awesome. Congratulations.
    Whats the plan with it?

T&A Flathead likes this.
  25. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Thank you all for the kind comments.
    It is still hard to believe the coupe it still in my garage.

Oh yeah, an update in the title. She called me friday and said she found it and that it is now on its way.

These are really great people.

caseyajones, Stogy, Denns1989 and 8 others like this.
  26. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

You may be right, I glanced at the crest and thought it was a Caddy wheel. I will have to investigate.

Stogy likes this.
  27. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats Tim, great story.

T&A Flathead likes this.
  28. Wow! This story is what dreams are made of. Keep us in the loop as progress gets done .

Stogy and T&A Flathead like this.
  29. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Chris, good hearing from you. Yes, please road trip up here any time.
    I still need that rear and trans too,...for the other 32.

30. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Great! ,I would get it transferred immediately, It will make your build go more smoothly knowing that its already been taken care of and its officially yours on paper;).

T&A Flathead likes this.