Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who runs a Ridge Runner tunnel ram or Edelebrock TR1 *SBC*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awsomeears, Dec 25, 2011.

1. awsomeears

awsomeears

*** EDIT , this post is from 4 years ago and was just bumped up today 10-12-2016 and I have figured out all about tunnel rams and what not ( well not 100% but you get my drift )

I'm shooting for a nostalgic tunnel ram for my 63 nova gasser...

Not many to choose from is what I'm finding out for that Nostalgic Feel, seems the Ridge Runner and EDELBROCK TR1 are the only ones.

Unless there are more in the 60's Era

This will be going on a mild 400 small block chevy with two Holley 450's and will be street driven mainly and a few track events ( I hope )

I have read that the Edelbrock TR1 puddles fuel and is horrible for street driving, the Ridge Runner may be also

Any help would be great...

RIDGE RUNNER

[​IMG]

EDELBROCK TR1

[​IMG]

Thanks

- Brad -

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Got a TR 1 sitting in the garage.
    Ran one when they first came out on my modified production.
    Did get the puddling,the runners extend about an inch or so above the base.I changed the oil after every race because it would dilute but never had any washdown problems on the cylinder walls.
    Eventually,we all filled the base with epoxy/resin to the top of the runners.
    But by the time we started doing that Edelbrock come out with the new version,the X,I think.Think that was blended runners.The shoebox TR1 were quickly displaced by the new models.Still plan on using my TR1 on the drag car.
    Ralph Ridgeway was Conn.guy,so raced alot around here.Always wanted one of his but never in right place,right time.Theres a story involving him and Vic,about their manifolds.
    A few years ago I was at Lancaster dragway for their gasser meet,think its in Hamburg,NY.Talked to a guy who was running a TR1 on his hotrod.
    Told me it ran great,he did not fill the base,and was having no fuel puddle hassles,and drives the crap out of it.
    So,if factual or not,guess it is possible to do it.
    I think I would fill the base if I drove it on the street but I guess it would be a trial and error deal.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  3. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Theres some discussion going on at www.classracer.com on Ralph Ridgeway, his cars & intakes right now

4. awsomeears

awsomeears

From the searching I have done it looks like the TR1, Ridge Runner and possibly a Offenhauser are the only manifolds that were produced in the 60's

I'm now looking into the Offenhauser stuff, hard to find stuff.....

Thanks for your info :D

5. I think the TR1X was out in 68 and I've also talked to the local guy running the Ridge Runner on his car here. I never see the Ridge Runners for sale but do see the Edelbrocks either the first or second series for sale.
    Here's mine it's a TR1X

[​IMG]

6. awsomeears

awsomeears

Nice looking motor holly !!!

I think my goal of having a Era correct tunnel ram on my 63 Nova might be hard to achieve, I'm not searching the Offenhauser stuff for age verification, it also sounds like a good manifold from the reviews...

7. Not sure of the exact date of production, but I have been told that the TR1Y was also a late 60's tunnel ram. I am running one of these on my 35 IHC build.
    [​IMG]

8. awsomeears

awsomeears

I really like the looks of these, open gap inside looks nice.......

9. The TR1Y was the third design for Edelbrock, the bread box being first then the X. They were learning how to hollow out that center to keep the runners a little cooler each time.

10. classic gary

classic gary

you might want to do a little more checking of the "timing" of the first tunnel ram. I haven't found ANY cataloges or magazine adds before 1968 that mention a tunnel ram from ANY manufacture.

11. dnswetzell@yahoo.com

[email protected]
    from Northwest

Plan on using my TR1 on rat rod "46" Ford PU Cab, just filled with block hard, and will epoxy on top of that. Two 4160s.
    46 Rat Rod ddw

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  12. WillyB

WillyB

More tunnel ram news.. I'm following!

13. 4 years later

timmy2times likes this.
  14. WillyB

WillyB

Sorry I'm trying to get accurate history on what happened during the Viet Nam war,
    which I was 'away' attending......

Turbo, I'd appreciate all the first hand, hands-on reports of your racing in '67 and '68. And when you saw your first tunnel ram, with a picture to document it.

15. Well brad,
    Let me tell you this. I knew a few guys running the old bread box (TR1) in the '70s on the strip. They swore by them but all of them carried a spare top with carbs set up and ready to run. They had a bad habit of blowing top off.

I have never known anyone who ran a ridge runner. So I can't help you with that.

if I was shooting for a genuine '60s vibe (I usually do)and wanted a gas class street/strip car I would your basic 2x4.

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What you people must realize is these manifolds were never designed for the street. They were designed for racing. Sure they puddle fuel. AT LOW RPM ! Jeez. Lippy

17. Larry T

Larry T

18. awsomeears

awsomeears

Brought back from the DEAD...

Funny how 4 years went past and I have learned so much, I ended up not choosing either of these but a weiand pro-ram sbc. This is the earlier model from 68 I believe, the 1st motor I had was a stock-ish 400sbc with two simple 450mechanical holleys. After running that for 2 years I then switched motors. Another 400sbc but 13.1 compression and 2 holey 650's using E85.

Insane power this motor put down and MPH in the 1/4mile. But before I could actually learn how to drive this god blessed thing I hurt the motor. So this week I pick up a new motor and then its time to get it back together.

Since 4 years ago engine back is all new. Muncie M23, drive shaft all solid joints, Fabcraft old's center section with 4.30's and slicks. Split mono springs from calvert and caltracs.

Ohh since then a LOT OF $$$$$$

But I love the car so ohhh well

Attached Files:

19. WillyB

WillyB

Man, that is a great looking car - and engine!
    Where do you run it, with the e85?

20. awsomeears

awsomeears

Well when its actually together I have run it at Great Lakes Dragaway but most of its time at Byron Drag Strip for the Meltdown Drags. I am apart of Meltdown Drag and its one hell of a event we put on, if you have never been you should go.

Tomorrow I pick up the new motor, I ended up trashing the motor because of a mistake I made