Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This sounds like a scam.........your thoughts, please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Oct 11, 2016.

1. LBCD

LBCD

These f**cks will go as far as sending you an email that shows they deposited into your paypal account...looks legit.
    Always call paypal and ask if there was a deposit!!! I sell a lot of drum (musical) and parts on CL.....I work @ MCJ and they meet me there if they are legit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  2. oldscl

oldscl

EDIT: as lcbd said above

From another site for those interested in how it works. Some people like to string these scammers along:

If you sent the scammer your PayPal email address you would get some real looking but very fake PayPal emails telling you the payment has been made to you but you need to send the tracking number or you need to send money via Western Union to a "shipper". Paypal does not operate this way the emails were spoofed and no money was sent. The scammer is hoping you do not catch this and makes off with your item or the money sent to the "shipper".

3. tell them to get bent ! scam

4. Slopok

Slopok

I'm surprised they didn't offer you more than the asking price just so you would be even more inclined to accept their offer, seen that happen a time or two before.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This not a scam just is that I am variable scheduled and will have agent to help this new item to me. These people who say I have less reality do not like your item but I do. Sincearally Christine Dodge.

Or the short version, fuck em, it's a piss poor attempt at an online scam.

metlmunchr and clunker like this.
  6. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

It's a scam. Go to Wikipedia and search for "internet fraud". The examples on Wikipedia are almost identical to your example. And do some research on how Paypal handles situations where you get payment from a buyer, hand over the goods, then PayPal draws back the money because the payment is insufficient for numerous reasons. This will cause you to be super-diligent about using the platform.

7. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Cl always has this type of mesages. This is a scam. Just delete and move on.

8. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Real person will call (if you left a number in the ad) or they email you with there phone number because that mean they are real. And meet in a good public place face to face and cash on hand no checks. Or go to bank and make sure the funds are in your account and pass the keys inside the bank. Scams they will make a story saying there out of town and they will ask what is your adress so they can mail you a check and wait to clear blozzy blozzy. You know it a scam that why you posted on here to confirm. Just be careful. Have a buddy with you as well C.L is full of tire kickers and flakers

9. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

These tactics caused me to load my guns. It's a scam.

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What have we here folks , it reads like a turd, sounds like a turd , smells like a turd,looks like a turd, sent by a turd. So by all accounts here we have a real live ,fair dinkum ,100% ,genuine , stinky turd. Ya can't polish this one. DO NOT STEP IN IT.

11. These parasites read these threads, and come up with better ways to try and scam us.
    Mostly, I think if you have a decent amount of common sense, you can pick em, real easy.
    Just don't get greedy, keep a calm head, and Fuck em right off.

12. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Run, and don't look back.

13. HiHelix

HiHelix

Had same type of thing happen to me... only accept sales in person!

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Don't forget to report them to the moderators to get them out of here.

15. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I like to string them along for a while, make them send you a check, then don't respond to them anymore. I have several large checks framed in my garage. $1920 for a $200 transmission etc.

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. Ha ha! Now that's funny. You win the prize, Highlander.

The first time I read a weird paragraph like this in an email was when I started a business website in '03. I could just envision the old laptop being charged by the ramshackle solar panel, the dirty tattered rags suspended above to keep the hot dessert sun out, goats bleating in the background, AK leaning on a rock, old toyota truck pulls up, mean guy jumps down demanding progress report from the spammer: "do you have money? We need pay for missle!". IMG_1476276618.447491.jpg
    Then we hear a helicopter, and Arnold Swarzenegger jumps out, (here's where you have to imagine his accent):
    "Hey! Wealthy prince in Duzanzidor has some money for me? Well, here's my deposit...aaaahhhhhh!!!!"
    Guns going off, explosions etc.

If this makes sense to you, then you know what I mean

Spoggie likes this.
  17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Their schedule is so flexible they cant come see it? Yup, scam. Play along as you wish

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I don't like a scam, but I do like eggs and Spam.;)

wicarnut and kiwijeff like this.
  19. 5window

5window

Wait-scammers have sex with ducks? Scam all the way-cash in hand is the way to deal with CL.

20. I screwed up my first photoshop.it should have sad scam. HRP

[​IMG]

21. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A real international buyer would have asked a ton of questions about the car, asked you to email some pictures of certain areas, discussed a price and way of payment prior to saying 'We have a deal!' All cars I bought from the US were paid for by wire transfer to the seller's bank account and he called me back when he had the cash. After that I made arrangements for shipping...
    I'm not a native English speaking person and I know I could do better if I tried but your email was probably translated from tshadtshicistaninian to English by the Google translation software....

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Run Forest, Run!

dan31 likes this.
  23. Just look at the English and tell her/him to kiss your rebel dick.

kiwijeff and Tn. Trash like this.
  24. The first sentence provides positive scam identification. No doubt whatsoever.

25. We just paid off a credit card and you can't believe the number of email and snail-mail scams that have been pouring in! I have a MSWord document with over 100 pages of scams I have received over the years! It is actually disappointing. The scam letters used to be very high quality; on watermarked bond paper, well written and signed by hand. Now they are poor photo copies written in very poor pig-English. Sign of bad public education world-wide I suppose.

26. They use a translation engine, they don't speak English so have no idea of our sentence structure and that is important when trying to get a decent readable translation from translation software and they have no idea of our word usage so you get stuff like this

There is more translation than just words.

Spoggie and 29AVEE8 like this.
  27. ...That is good! I had a mail order scammer try it out so I replied (on his dime of course), sent phoney bank account numbers, etc. They were based in Holland, so at least it cost them a few bucks in postage.

28. cfmvw

cfmvw

I used to get scam emails from a variety of deposed leaders of third-world countries wanting to deposit a few bazillion dollars into my account. I'd tell them to give me a call at work in the morning - and give them the phone number to the FBI.

29. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Smells to me, as well. (And I'm on the other side of the country.)