Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical About Selling Used Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Need help for an old codger here.
    My buying and selling of used parts, has always been through swap meets or local shops, wrecking yards or through local newspaper ads or the local Craigslist. Always within a reasonable drive, always seeing the buyer or seller in person.
    Now, I'm preparing to sell some unneeded new and used parts online, for the first time.
    How do you guys handle the money aspect?
    If paid by check, are you holding the parts until the check clears, before turning over the parts to the buyer ?
    I don't want to get involved with PayPal, as a seller, just trying to keep any transaction as simple as I can.
    Any input with your online selling experiences would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. I take Postal Money order only, seems to be ok with everyone.

3. karl share

karl share

Direct deposit into bank account works for me.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  4. Hombre

Hombre

As the seller you need to make the transaction as easy as possible for everyone. I live out in the country and using a Postal Money Order is a real pain, as it means a trip to town to buy the damn thing.

I purchase a lot of my parts online as well, Pay-Pal is real easy, easy to send money, easy to register and just plain convenient especially for the guy you need the most and that is the one with the money. I have come to that place that I only will deal one of two ways. Either I take cash and go and do the deal in person, or the seller must do the Pay-Pal thing. If the seller is not willing to do that I just look elsewhere. Today with this internet there are a hell of a lot more sellers than buyers. Seems to me that as a seller you want to do what ever you have to do to make the selling part as easy as possible, and not cut a big percentage of "BUYERS" out of the picture from the beginning.

5. If you advertise to overseas buyers, you are kinda stuck with Paypal , as it is a real Pain to pay any other way. If taking cheques or bank deposit, don't send anything until that loot is yours. If you advertise on Epay,you are stuck with accepting paypal, they are owned by Ebay.

6. U.S Post Office money orders are my preferred payment. Hard to fake, every town has a post office. Yes, it's archaic, but I can look at it and tell if it's real, and send the parts right out.
    Recently sold a part to a guy who sent a money order from a bank I never heard of. Not what was stated in my ad. He got a little pissed when I held the part 10 days till it cleared the bank.
    Paypal is the modern way, I use it if needed. Fast. Easy. Costs money, can help or hurt IMO. What if a buyer is unreasonable and bitches to PP and gets his $ pulled out of your account? That could screw up a bank balance! Then fight and pay to get the jerk to send it back. The scenario that comes to mind.
    The other side: seller misrepresents something, buyer has recourse. Probably best to accept both.

bobg1951chevy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Paypal or a USPS money order.If a "customer" can't be bothered to make the drive to a post office to get a money order they really are not that interested in buying my parts.
    I live out of town and have to drive in to ship the parts.

8. 2935ford

2935ford

And what us folks north of the border?
    We buy parts to.
    I lived in the U.S. For many years. I kept my US bank account also maintain a US account with my CDN bank.

I usually send a US money order which is the same as cash.
    Some folks there have a hard time understanding this but usually I have no problems.

9. It depends on the parts and frankly your financial condition, keep in mind I do paypal because I buy and sell on ebay occasionally as well. If it is under $100 i will ship on receipt of a check or money order. If its over 100 to say 300. I will take a check or money irder and hold till it clears. Over 300 has to be money order or paypal.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I dont sell on Ebay, but I do take PP from out of state customers from when I sell off FB adds. I charge the buyer $5 for every $100 sent thru PP (to cover fees)or they can send USPMO for the direct amount (whats your time worth)
    Now the question---- Since it is a direct payment from PP not envoleing Ebay (gift, money sent, payment for items or services) Can the sender of the funds still dispute the transaction??? Can Granny who sent you $25 for your birthday ask Paypal for it back because you did not call her on the phone to thank her???

11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I sell a few items and I prefer to use Wal-Mart transfer . The buyer goes to Wal-Mart. sends the money to the closest Wal-Mart to you . He gives the seller the confirmation number. The seller has to show an ID and have the confirmation number to pick up the cash .
    By the way this is very above board and legal, about a million dollars is sent this way to Latin American countries every week.
    in my opinion pay pal sucks.

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Pay Pal is a no brainer. Its the easiest way to transfer funds. All you need is an email address. I've been buying and selling on eBay for years and using Pay Pal and never had a problem. Sure beats going to Walmart or the post office.

Gary

Texas57 and bobg1951chevy like this.
  13. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honestly...PayPal is the best way to go

bali-rod, verno30 and bobg1951chevy like this.
  14. Like you, I'm an Old Codger also. Like you I had my doubts with on line sales. I bye and sell all over the place sitting right here. To date not one issue. I keep a seperate Bank account just for bank to bank transfers as well as Pay-Pal. With 99% of people having a Cell Phone and access to there Banking doing a transfer is push of a button. Once in my second account I move it to my main account and were done. I also pay out of my second account. Most banks don't even charge for moving money around like this.
    The Wizzard

15. I take a postal money order from an unknown party and a check from someone that I either know or have done business with before.

be sure that you have a handle on shipping. I sell everything plus shipping and still expect to lose a little bit on the shipping. Those calculators are never correct, I consider them a ballpark.

bobg1951chevy and Atwater Mike like this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Same here, PayPal is the best way to transact. No problems, everybody is covered.
    I did have one problem 6 years ago...the seller demanded the payment be made as a 'gift'. I refused, if the deal went south for any reason, PayPal would trace the 'deal', and then the 'gift' thing is right up front. "Goods?" Yeah, there was a 'deal'.
    Fraud likely wouldn't be 'pushed', but keep it above board and no problems.

PayPal reduces the plight of dealing with stupid. Guys' reading comprehension seems to be null these days. Directions are never read, (or understood) and this makes for bad purchases.
    If they have to go thru PayPal all they have to do then is box the goods and send them to the address PayPal sends them. (yours)
    Plus, you're covered. PayPal takes care of everything.
    Some idiot said, "Just send cash...in an envelope. Three one hundred dollar bills." I said, "No."

17. I'm of a younger generation and am pretty flexible with any form of payment. Paypal gets used a lot as it's quick and offers the buyer protection.

When I have buyers that don't have paypal, I offer them the option of cheque, bank draft or postal money order. If I receive a cheque, I advise the buyer that I will hold onto the items until the cheque clears. I haven't had any complaints about that so far. However, I always follow up to tell them once the cheque has cleared and when I've mailed the parts.
    Money order or bank draft are pretty straight forward, as the funds are guaranteed.

I did have one gentleman send me cash, however I don't like that. It's too easy for a potential dispute, as there is no way to confirm that he mailed the full amount, or that I received the full amount. (I could skim and say he shortchanged me. He could shortchange me and say I'm skimming).

Selling online does open up a whole new world of buyers though, especially for oddball stuff.

Good luck!

18. Well I don't do paypal just a luddite I guess.

But just to put things into perspective, I am probably the most honest guy you will ever meet, I have gone out of my way to not cheat anyone in my years on this planet. I might beat on you to the point of doing time beat on you but I would not cheat you. That said, even if you are receiving funds from me you should probably ask for a money order over a check. If you catch my drift. ;)

bobg1951chevy and clunker like this.
  19. I do this, too unless I know that person from a website I hang out on. THEN, I MAY trust them.

20. Ive heard of problems on pay pal ive bought using it but never sold with it. My father in law was selling old hot wheels and he had a lot of problems with them so now he doesnt use it. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my LGMS330 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Paypal is scammers paradise. never accept it for more than you are willing to give to scammers. there is little to no safety for sellers as buyers can claim anything they want and get their money back. with that being said I sold a shitload of stuff on ebay and never had a problem, but there is a website called paypalsucks.com for a reason

H380, bobg1951chevy, 29AVEE8 and 2 others like this.
  22. Today, all you got to read is the first post in the thread.
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/this-sounds-like-a-scam-your-thoughts-please.1036014/

23. Bader2

Bader2

I always send us money order,no problems ever,most people who've been on the hamb for a while aren't gonna start scamming other members suddenly.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobg1951chevy and Speedys Garage like this.
  24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do some buying and selling, mostly here or on "The Barn". Given the audience, I'll take a personal check and send the item as soon as I get it in the mail. I usually deal in "smalls", so I figure that given the venue, nobody is going to screw around with bad checks. I haven't been burned yet. I just sold a couple of "BBC's" to a guy in Australia who used PayPal, which was really his only option. At first I was soured by their "cut", but on reflection, I guess it's fair for what they do. In the end I'd rather have a check.

Of course, all of this goes out the window when dealing with the "Great Unwashed", which is something I'd really rather avoid. I figure, with the stuff I have, there;'s a big enough market right here.

25. I do avoid selling too some users here. If they have been on the board today and have a zero post count I shine them on. I actually had a buyer contact me a couple of years ago who had zero post count and had just joined. I was polite and answered his PM and told him that I didn't do business with new guys. he told me that he had been around forever and just never posted then named literally everyone in my friends list as his close personal friends. We live in a small world but not that small. LOL

26. PayPal is so easy. There's even an app for the phone. I never had a problem with PayPal. Once the buyer sends the money it's yours. EBay on the other hand. The buyer always wins. I learned that the hard way.
    A guy bought a bearing heater from me. Took the parts from it that he needed then claimed it was damaged and wanted a refund.
    I had to give him the refund and Ebay didn't want to hear it.
    In another instance a guy bought an engine from me. The guy actually took the engine apart for the internals and put his crap back in. Again I lost. I hate eBay but it reaches so many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Today, the technology available is so good at counterfeiting money that sometimes cash isn't even safe! Might be a good idea to get one of those marker pens that are used by store cahiers if you're dealing with folks you don't know and large amounts of cash.
    But I have no idea how to obtain one. Anybody know who sells them?

28. Best Buy, Office depot or any business/office supply store. They are cheap.

I had a friend that sold a car a couple of years ago, cash on the barrelhead. he didn't feel comfortable with it and took down the license plate number and the vin number off the car that they came in(actually had the missus do it while he distracted them). 3 out of five 100 dollar bills were bogus, and the selling price was 3K. The bank sent the law after my buddy who gave them the information he collected. The tags were stolen but they found the people by the vin number. he got the car back, after the trial.

Nader said "Buyer beware" but these days it is seller beware.

Just do what is necessary to cover your butt and everything will probably be alright.

bobg1951chevy and clunker like this.
  29. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been selling parts for 35-years and accept cash, personal checks, money orders, or PayPal. In hundreds, maybe a thousand (?) transactions, I've never gotten stiffed once.

Years ago, I had a check bounce and contacted the Buyer, who apologized and sent a new (good) check with the extra money to cover the bad check fee. I do hold shipping for two weeks to allow personal checks to clear, however.

CowboyTed and bobg1951chevy like this.
  30. get those pens at office supply stores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.