Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This sounds like a scam.........your thoughts, please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Oct 11, 2016.

1. evintho

evintho

Just posted my '54 Customline in the 'for sale' section here and on CL.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1954-ford-customline-all-original.1035897/

I got a text last night asking me to email the person. I did and received this email back today.....................

Thanks for your mail, am interested in buying this and i will paying you the asking price so consider me as your favorite buyer and Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it. I would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my flexible schedule. I will be paying you with my PayPal Account because it's attached to my Bank Account and its safe and very secure way to make payment online. If my mode of payment is accepted kindly email me with the Your PayPal Email Address and Your Picked Up Location Address...Thanks
    1) What is the condition?
    2) Are you the First Owner?
    3) Your PayPal Email Address or send me an invoice
    4) Your Picked Up Location Address
    And if you don't have paypal you can easily setup one visit www.paypal.com and get back to me with your paypal email address and the full name you use to register,after the payment has gone through my pick up agent will contact you and make a pick up arrangement with you,i wont be able to call you the only means of communication is via email.
    Awaiting your response asap..
    Regards.

I've seen the Nigerian scams and lots of variations on that too. Paypal is legit but I don't like the fact that she (yes, it's a she and she says her name is Christine Ford) want's my full name used to register for Paypal, has an agent?, wants my home address and isn't available for a personal phone call. Also, note the punctuation and spelling.
    That little voice in the back of my head says...........RUN! But I hate to lose a sale! What'dya guys think???

2. squirrel

squirrel

pickup agent = scam

actually, the whole thing screams "scam"

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

4. adam401

adam401

Oh fuck yeah that's a scam

1927graham and LOU WELLS like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

YIKES - do not open anymore communications from this person(?)

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I follow my first impressions....if it sounds ''off''....don't go any further!

7. raylloyd

raylloyd

8. adam401

adam401

I mean don't get me wrong your car looks nice but what would a guy so damn busy and presumably rich want it for?

If your some super busy car collector sending agents to pick up cars I'd imagine youd be buying perfect original paint low miles cars. Not restorable examples of fairly common cars.

I'd save yourself some headaches and sell it to a real person haha. Seems like a good car.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

To me...that screams "SCAM".

10. BJR

BJR

Whenever they are asking you to email them back when you have given them a phone number, they are fishing for your info to steal your idenity. I get this all the time on craigslist ads. If you didn't post your phone number it still looks like a scam. Follow your gut, if it seems like a scam to you it probably is.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Scam all the way. Hit delete and move on.

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I get the exact same in a text. I get this every time I list anything on craigslist.
    I get it for car parts and household items. It'a a scammer.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Just ask yourself if you have ever met a buyer or really anyone that has so many restrictions on communication and requires such a detailed procedure for the transaction to take place. That should tell you everything. Plus not a single question about the car and they are going pay full price sight unseen? Read between the lines and what they really want is your email, PayPal account name and your mailing address. Pretty much everything needed to hijack your account.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. 2935ford

2935ford

Big time........
    the giveaway is the structure of the grammar.

metlmunchr, belair and slack like this.
  15. R Pope

R Pope

Spelling, grammer, general flow of language suggests that English is not their first language. Offshore scammer. Don't even acknowledge their existence again.

Bubba1955 and slack like this.
  16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's the longest reply to an ad I've ever seen. You can smell a Rat a mile away on that one. I like how they even "help" you set up a Paypal acct.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  17. Yummy, HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Legendlives and Hotrodmyk like this.
  18. saltracer219

saltracer219

Run the other way, don't even reply.DELETE!!

Dino64 and falcongeorge like this.
  19. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Sell it in person to someone local for cash only. PERIOD!!! Good luck....

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Common sense. Use it.

21. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

only way to deal on Craigslist...I buy and sell all the time on Craigslist, infact have several guitars on there right now and the ONLY way to deal is cash only or face to face with cash in hand.

Speedys Garage and jeffd1988 like this.
  22. If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, smells like a duck, tastes like a duck, shits in the yard like a duck, and has sex with other ducks....it might be a duck...or a scammer posing as a duck. Either way...not a serious car buyer.

Paul and kiwijeff like this.
  23. dan31

dan31

Its a shit show,delete.

Spoggie likes this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

And never never never open a link to a website in an email sent to you from somebody you don't know! If they can't scam you with the buying the car scam, they will have a fake website set up to steal your info when you try to set up that paypal account!

25. Scam. Its a scam.
    Hell, I've even been getting those types of scams via phone call re an elderly relative's car collection I'm helping sell off.

Guy calls up, claims he is in Michigan but has really thick Alabama accent. Okay, maybe he moved up here. Eh, send him some pictures don't hear back....until Sunday morning....calls about a bunch of times while I'm in church and leaves messages that he's "got a buddy in town" to pay for the car and pick it up. I call him back, and naturally his buddy has a check and but they can't cash it to give me cash since its a Sunday. I tell them to take a hike and if its legit have his buddy cash the check on Monday bring the cash and leave with the car. Never hear from them again.

Shit, trying to sell a classic car has really become full of crap, much like online dating.

26. chargin03

chargin03

Pick up agent needs to bring cash.

timwhit likes this.
  27. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

When you read it, the reply to you is so generic, it would fit for anything you have for sale. Be it a car or a toaster. Just generic one reply fits all.

No doubt about it being a scam.

28. oldscl

oldscl

I've gotten that same email before. "Favourite buyer" I'll remember anywhere. I am in Australia...

29. evintho

evintho

OK, thanks everyone! I didn't like it. You all just confirmed my suspicions. Thanks for the insight!