Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hurricane Matthew

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 6, 2016.

1. It's ten o'clock Saturday morning down at the bottom of this rock, and the wireless just said on the news, that it seems to have settled down after 200 kilometer winds.
    I had to laugh, when the news reader said how a lot of folks rode it out, even walking around the streets, and one guy came out in his pickup, and did donuts in an intersection.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

It looks like they kinda fluffed where the eye was going to be, which is a good thing. It's a good thing everyone was well prepared for what could have been very bad. Glad everyone is okay.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER and stillrunners like this.
  3. It's a long way from being over. HRP

Stogy and bobg1951chevy like this.
  4. LostBoy

LostBoy

Daytona 500 speed boat races!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

It's been really bad here, I'm about 5 miles from the beach. Lost a tree, lots of limbs down, some flooding in the back of my property. The wind blew sideways for 3+ hours, we are tired of it. It will take days to clean up. We are safe and the house should be ok, we will do damage assessment in the morning. We are ready to protect emergency rations frm looters!
    IMG_1536.JPG

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  6. Toqwik

Toqwik

Joliet Jake holly hell how have you been. I'm about 25 miles inland from jacksonville and still have some good wind gusts. It started about 1pm and just won't leave. LOTS of rain and some strong winds earlier. Haven't had a chance to check out my roof, but the back yard bar is ok and lost a section of fence. I hate these things.

HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  7. I went through Alicia in Houston in 83. I was about 15 years old then. The eye actually passed over our house. It was wild.

Gotta say though that unless I was directly on the water or in a low area I'd ride it out again.

Not to be macho or anything. I just always worry about people getting stuck on the road in traffic and being exposed when the storm hits.

8. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'm about 10 miles from the Gulf Coast a little north of Tampa, and luckily it didn't reach to this side. Good luck and all the best to everyone down where it did hit. They said over 1 million homes are without power. I hope everyone made it out safe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( I know just how bad hurricanes can be.Was born and raised in Vero Beach,Fl.Lived there from 1945 to 1985 when we moved to Tn.Remember on year we had some nice gentle breezes about 3 mph for about a week straight in out of the East.Moved enough water to raise the level on the Indian River about 3 feet.Had some very PO`ed rich folks that lived in Vero Isles,when the water came within 6 inches of their front doors.
    Leo

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Born and raised in Jax. Dora came through in 64, with the eye coming ashore between Jax and St Augustine. What a mess! The Atlantic came in all the way to the Intercoastal Waterway. Washed away about 10 feet of sand under the sea wall, which was left hanging in the air. Washed away both the ocean piers which had been there for years. Washed houses, motels and cars away. I don't think that the Beaches ever fully recovered.

HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  11. pumpman

pumpman

Just wondering how you all are doing, from the reports we're getting it still looks pretty bad.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. As the crow flies, I'm about 90 miles inland from Myrtle Beach. Have had 8+ inches of rain so far. Still coming down heavily. Intermittent power losses. No appreciable damage here. I know the coast is not fairing as well. Stay safe everyone.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

F&J, I won't type what I think of your posts on the subject of tornadoes and hurricanes cause I'll start a flame war and either get the thread deleted or myself banned.
    But if you had been with me yesterday evening at a local restaurant, on the US 41 hwy and near all the local motels. and talked with the people at the next table, I expect you would think a little differently.
    This was 3 generations of a family of residents of the small town of Woodbine , Camden County, in SE GA who had evacuated almost 300 miles before finding a motel that could acommadate them.
    Their plan was to spend the night, get up early this morning and drive back home. The words of the man of the middle generation will be with me for a long, long time: "but we don't know if we will have a home to return to until we get there."
    And the memories of the anguish and suffering here just a few years ago from the families of loved ones killed and injured in a tornado so powerful that it actually picked up a forklift truck and carried it in the air for well over a quarter mile before dropping it will be with me for a long time to come also.
    IMO, you should be ashamed of yourself.

14. upspirate

upspirate

We've been lucky in the 46 years I've lived here.....it's not always fun based hurricane parties with a few sticks down. Andrew comes to mind , and we helped a campground we visit in the keys clean up after Georges went through and saw all the crap that was ruined being hauled out of the keys

HOTRODPRIMER, dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  15. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

We got lucky here in Jensen Beach, FL. Matthew took a slight jog to the east just before it got to us, just enough to keep the worst of it offshore. My worst damage was finding my beautiful Key Lime tree at a 45 degree list. Power was only out for less than 24 hours which is nothing compared to previous hurricanes. All is good now. Hot Rodder friends over in Eustis, FL, which is way west from the east coast even lost power. Hope all is well with our friends up in the Myrtle Beach area.

Lee.

16. My parents survived Hurricane Hazel but lost their home and everything they owned,fortunately we were visiting my grandparents here in the upstate when the storm struck.

Weather prognostication wasn't as good as it is now,this was 1954. HRP

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hazel was a fairly destructive storm here in Ontario as well back in the day...my mother and her family lived through that...I hope the hell you all down there are experiencing will soon end. It has in stark contrast been very beautiful our way.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. 55Brodie

55Brodie

High and dry in Little River so far. Lots of folks to the south were not so lucky.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Plenty of rain, wind, flooding & fallen trees today. Places that never close are closed. I ventured out around 5PM & ran into several road blocks of trees fallen or water over the roads. The ground has been so saturated from last weeks abnormal rain that a lot of low laying places didn't have a chance. It didn't take much to topple big, heavy trees with a little wind. The power has flickered off a couple of times & I have a small leak - looks like it's coming around the chimney flashing. It has calmed down quite a bit but still raining. Over 50 roads are blocked in this area. Lots to clean up. Thank God my family is all safe.

20. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Shamus - Any word about conditions around Cary ?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. Wind and rain ave long since left my area...18 hours at least...but the Tar River, as with most ENC rivers, is not expected to crest before Wednesday. Current level is 19 feet above normal...expecting 27!! That hasn't been seen since Floyd, and we all know how that turned out!! Thoughts and prayers for my area of NC and the other areas hit so hard!!!

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like my earthquake survival kit, only mine is an AR, that I made, not an AK.

24. I prefer Miller High Life, so he won't have to worry about me. If there are any zombies with the looters aim for the brains.

Looting seems to happen only when things really unravel like Katrina or the LA Riots, but it did happen in those events, and no one could have predicted it would, so I guess it can't hurt to be prepared. My wife made me fabricate bars for our 20 basement windows for the looters.

I think 20 people lost their lives so far, it's really sad and I hope that people can recover after the storm is over. Life is hard enough as it is, I can't imagine losing everything, having a home destroyed, then having to keep paying the mortgage then rent somewhere else too, a lot to deal with.

HOTRODPRIMER, Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  25. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Just got power back yesterday. Extremely lucky that we just had limbs down and a broken front porch rail. At least 2 people died here, a tree fell on one guy while in his bed, the other out surfing.....Lots of homes crushed by huge trees. The weather was actually pleasant after....into the high 40's at night, so sleeping with windows open was a little chilly...needed covers. Before Matthew temps were in the 90's, even set a record for consecutive 90 plus days. Andrew is a distant memory but was cat 5 where I lived. Fortunately we evacuated for that one....

26. BH - good to hear !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Even with plenty of warning, we humans can be surprised when nature concentrates its power. We think of hurricanes and tornadic storms first of their winds, but the heavy rains and lightning that accompany them can kill a lot more, and do us car folks a lot of damage. Just a reminder for you guys in the north, it isn't just the snow that can wreck you, more often it is stuff like freezing drizzle that you didn't see, or black ice from refreezing.

Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. North Carolina is still suffering the effects of rising rivers and broken dams. HRP

29. During a church meeting last night, I heard that there are 800 homes in my area that have been deemed uninhabitable...and we were not the hardest-hit. Just south of us in Lenoir County, the Neuse River exceeded Floyd levels by over a foot! Our airport was CLOSED for over a week due to the runways being under water.

Luckily, the wife and I were able to get to Raleigh for our vacation flight out on 10/14. Things look to be getting back to normal for most. For some though, life will never be the same.....

Stogy likes this.
  30. Hurricanes are a huge destructive force. I recall some as a kid, as an adult we had Gloria in 1985, Irene in 2011 and Sandy in 2012. In one town, they lost 1800 houses to Sandy that were close to the water.

I used to drive around Babylon Village and wonder why all the houses on the water looked relatively new, this being an old village. The hurricane of 1938 had leveled the area, almost everything close to the bay or on a canal was wiped out. I took the high ground when I bought my house here in 1986.

Our corporate offices are in Melbourne Florida. They have storm shields on the ground floor doors, everyone was sent home and they battened down the hatches. Luckily there was no large amount of damage.

Stogy likes this.