Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How I built my hot rod, Model A coupe photo essay.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fry, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Hey, nice project Mr Fry! This may be your first build but you certainly have some great skills and a good plan. Your photos are great. It seems most of us like lots of pictures. It helps us to see things you might not mention. Have fun with your build and please keep posting your progress.

Fry likes this.
  3. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Love all different ways you for set up . Engine rear end , nice work .

Fry likes this.
  4. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

Lots of improvising and problem solving, I am enjoying your build very much. Also very nice to see someone so young taking on a project like this.

Fry likes this.
  5. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks guys, thanks for the replies.

6. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Great build fry. Guessing u are in Alberta? Im building a Coupe in BC. I hear you about ordering parts from the states from a shipping standpoint. Is what it is unfortunately. Nothing wrong with a good ol sbc if you build it and dress it the right way! Good luck on the rest of the journey, subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fry likes this.
  7. Bugguts

Bugguts

Great job on the build. Its going to be a cool car when done! Thanks for showing all the work. Lots of time involved to show the details.

Fry likes this.
  8. Great build thread. Do you still have the sedan sub rails? If so I will buy them.

9. patterg2003

patterg2003

Fry,
    Great work and excellent thread. Keep up the good work. Looks like you may have a good pair of young helpers. When my oldest was the age of your son I had to buy two of every tool if I wanted one to use. He was in the middle of everything. I caught heck if I used one of his tools. He has at least two of everything and can build anything that he sets his mind on.
    Good fun. 30+ years he is still working with me and I can borrow tools.
    Subscribed.
    Glenn

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Fry likes this.
  10. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks, I'm from Sask.

11. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

No I don't, I shortened them and used them as is.

12. gbhdrake383

gbhdrake383

Ok so ill buy you a plane ticket so you can work on my project haha. killer work brother. cant wait to see the progress.

Fry likes this.
  13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Oh no a rough riders fan! Ha ha ha. Just kidding! One of my staff is from Nipawin! ALL he talks about is the riders and how the CFL always gives them the short end of the stick! Ha ha

14. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Spent some time in the garage today. Finished most of the chop welding, about 98% done.

Finished the cab braces on the roll bar
    [​IMG]

Bent up some tubes for the rear supports. Managed to slip off the notch on the bender when making the first bend of the day, took a bit of a tumble that slowed me down for the rest of the day. Haha.
    Once I got the side supports done I got the rumble lid straightened up. I'm going to make mounts to attach the pivot brackets right to the tubing.

[​IMG]

As some may have noticed I haven't suspended the rear yet. I wanted to go with coil overs just for the predictability factor and ease of installation. I didn't want them hanging out the rear so I wanted to hide them in front of the axle.
    So I had a machine shop make up a puck and sleeve for me. I had planned on running the sleeve on the bottom but once I got the rear end back in place, clearance was close. So I had to run it on the top of the puck. The puck has a 1" notch cut out that the sleeve fits into.
    I have a 11" QAL coil over in mind and have ample room for it in this configuration.
    I had really wanted to run a double shear configuration but it just wasn't doable without being the biggest, most awkward bracket ever. But single shear 5/8" bolt works for all the high dollar cars so I should be ok.

How I originally wanted it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bent up some tube for the upper mount. I have to drill out the holes in my brackets and I can mount it.
    Everything will just be tacked together until I get the actual coilover and make sure it will work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mad mikey likes this.
  15. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Haha, I actually don't care much for football. I already have too many hobbies and not enough time.

16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Don't care for football, And they let you stay in the province!?!? Wow I didn't think that was possible! You must be an oilers fan then?

17. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Nope, flames fan though. I didn't know oilers had fans.

18. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Hi nice work on your build. I just had a comment. I would look a little closer at your rear axle attachments. I'm not a suspension expert but you might want to go and study 4 link design. From the pictures it looks like you may not have optimal design.....axle pivots foward of the tube centerline. I may be all wet but just say'n. Maybe someone can chime in.

19. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

i think you are thinking of it wrong. Your axle doesn't actually pivot, with a correct 4 link you actually get barely any pinion angle change.
    You have to figure out how the links intersect. Most things I've read place the mounts in front of the axle and the upper links as close to pinion as you can get.
    There are lots of opinions on how to do it, but from the stuff I've researched and the blue printing I've done this is a pretty conservative and good looking setup.

hendelec likes this.
  20. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Fry likes this.
  21. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome Work And a really Good Looking Hot Rod!
    Can't wait to see it Done..Subscribed!

Aloha
    Tommy

Fry likes this.
  22. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Yea your probably right pics can sometimes make things look distored.

23. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

24. Rob28

Rob28
    from Calgary AB

Looking good I will be following along! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is jealous of the free shipping in the USA, I feel your pain of having to do a mass order when you think our dollar is at its best and do a run to Montana to pick it all up.

Fry likes this.
  25. I am a little late to the party but, I LOVE THIS BUILD! You have done some very impressive and solid work. Congrats, this is going to be a really nice hot rod. I also like the fact that your family is involved. and seems to love the super hot rod. Will be watching. Mike.

Fry likes this.
  26. Wow!! Great work. Subscribing..

Fry likes this.
  27. Cool beans! keep it going. :)

Fry likes this.
  28. 1940 coupe

1940 coupe
    from nj

nice work looks good.

Fry likes this.
  29. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

That's a super involved build. Seeing you construct that whole chassis out of thin air makes my head hurt. Congratulations on your commitment to a high quality build!

30. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks! I wouldn't call it high quality though. Haha. Just doing it to the best of my ability, tools and budget.

loudbang and Jasper6120 like this.