Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How high does your sbc sit in model a frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by peter schmidt, Oct 6, 2016.

1. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Im trying to mock up engine mounts to mount my 57 283 in my model a frame it seems like its sitting to high. Was wondering how high you all had yours set. A measurement from the top of the frame rail to the center of the front manifold bolt would be great. The way i have it set now the fan seems like its to low on the radiator but i want it as forward as possible and i think it would look better lower. I definitely want to run a stock fan and not use a waterpump riser im trying to make it as traditional as possible. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These pics are with a 17 inch fan a little over an inch clearance until it hits the crossmember. It still looks to high to me though.

2. Firecat7

Firecat7

that's the problem.... any lower...you need electric fan. You can use smaller diameter (sacrifice cooling)... doesn't look that bad from here.

3. F&J

F&J

Pics are sometimes deceiving....

from here, the back is way too high. If it is, then dropping the back will lift the fan up a bit.

so, if the fan did come up with a certain new angle, then lower the entire motor but keep the same degrees, until the fan barely clears at the crossmember.

We don't know what your angle needs to be, or can be, as it will be different with ford closed drive, compared to open drive which gives more options.

Also be thinking about floor space for pedals and column problems when mocking the motor

4. 1930 A

1930 A

Just measured mine. It's about 6 3/4 inches. I do run an electric fan.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

From looking at the pictures can you get a belt between the crank pulley and the cross member?

6. trollst

trollst

I center the fan in the rad, that way I get maximum from a stock fan.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  7. Here's mine. My fan is only about 14" diameter and on hot days at parade speed or less it will overheat.

Attached Files:

8. Not sure why, but I can only add one picture that time.

Attached Files:

AmishMike likes this.
  9. Your oilpan flange & the front crank hub should be about even with the tops of the frame rails.

As with everything in life, it's a compromise: Too high and you take away interior space. Too low and you can't use a mechanical fan.

Tim, mad mikey and Dino 64 like this.
  10. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I thought the tops of the frame rails should bisect the crank hub.
    On this coupe the distance from the top of the rail to the engine mount is 5", with no electric fan.[​IMG]
    It's a SBC crate. If that helps

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Don't forget you want the oil pan to clear speed bumps ect. Also

HemiDeuce likes this.
  12. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Thanks guys. The engine is just haning off the cherry picker in the pics. I finished making most of the front hurst style mount im going to try to keep the mechanical fuel pump so it bends forward there to clear it. Its a 57 283 so is has no side mounts but the pics and info will help me get in the ballpark. I wanted the motor as low as possible with a mechanical fan because the body i have is an old hot rod body that had a really heavy channel and i didnt want the motor sticking up real high in the bay. Im sure ill have to butcher the firewall to get it in but ill have to wait to see how much until i can move some things around in my tiny garage.

13. AmishMike

AmishMike

Your in Canada with white water & overheats at slow speed. Try a radiator. Had to comment; just struck me as funny - sorry - must be time for bed.

14. We just got our first bit of white water today (in the pictures) and -1 Celsius today. That'd be around 30f.
    Actually we were lucky where I live because 200 miles west of here got 15" of white water yesterday

15. 301 in my RPU. The pan rail is pretty much level with the top of the frame. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    wedjim, Just Gary and mad mikey like this.
  16. Mine sits a little lower than some, but uses a raised water pump to get the fan in a good location. The higher the motor sits, the more problems with a raised floorboard giving you difficulties with the throttle pedal position.

[​IMG]

wedjim, Just Gary and mad mikey like this.
  17. Looks like most of us are putting the oil pan rail near the top of the frame rail.

wedjim and Just Gary like this.
  18. harley rider

harley rider

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    baspinall and wedjim like this.
  19. The SnoWhite pump housing is what I used to raise the fan. I like "go fast" fins!
    [​IMG]

Hombre, baspinall and wedjim like this.
  20. Sure doesn't look like it's overheating in that picture! :D

Hombre likes this.
  21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I use Pete & Jakes SBC to Model A mounts in all A chassis I build. No complaints to date.

Just Gary likes this.
  22. perk30

perk30

image.jpeg Here's a pic of mine. I use a water pump riser to center the fan in the center of the radiator. Have plenty of pan clearance as mounted.

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here's how mine sits. Fan blades are rounded off to clear. 20161007_160147.jpg
    About 10.5" from top of frame rail to front exh manifold bolt.
    20161007_160130.jpg

pecker head and mad mikey like this.
  24. bchctybob

bchctybob

When I did the mounts on my Model A Tudor I installed the stock Chevy 4 bladed fan on the short water pump, rotated a blade to it's lowest point and positioned the front of the engine so the fan blade was close to the radiator and even with the bottom of the radiator core (top of the bottom tank). It looked right and although mine wasn't channeled, my car had virtually no trans hump. (Chevy 3 spd trans)
    Most of the commonly available motor mount kits set the engine too low in the chassis for a traditional look. In the past, folks used the Hurst cradle with those horseshoe spacers and Ford type biscuits.

25. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

I used rotten Leonard's front SBC mount. I think it put it at the perfect hight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    mad mikey likes this.
  26. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

mad mikey likes this.
  27. Rand Man

Rand Man

That looks like it sits about the same as my Hurst-mounted 327.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

-Brent- likes this.
  28. mike bowling

mike bowling

Good info.
    I'm doing a '31 A coupe right now
    that's going to have a 327 in it ( Hurst style mount)

29. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Mine sits about like yours. I have not had any issues with cooling at all. I am using an aluminum radiator that has been painted black. I like the lower center of gravity. My roadster is channeled and the radiator shell is chopped so it doesn't look out of proportion. The only concern I have is that my oil pan is only about 1/2" above the scrub line. Hopefully these pics show the proportion and relationships between the radiator, fan, engine and rails. They are what I have on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016