Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy shit, Runnin shine!! If you put all those parts in their respective places, that '34 sedan will be built ! !

Runnin shine and jerseyboy like this.
  2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paintslinger805, I needed something to read so I checked out the posts from you and Cyclone in July when y'all took Grandpaw to El Mirage. I really enjoyed our first trip on a dry lake, and watching Elmer reliving moments from decades ago just make things great. Those posts from July took me back to our trip in June and made me want to return soon. We are "chompin' at the bit" to leave and head west to Pismo.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  3. I am with you all the way on this statement Gary. See ya all in a couple weeks.

saltracer219 likes this.
  4. Well I hope the Weather here on the central coast of California holds up like we are having. We are heading to the 90s this weekend. Dennis I hope your ready for are best time of year here at the beach. Trog is going to see some perfect weather, it has been windy though.

5. image.jpg Well a quick update for those still interested. I had to take apart 3 of my other 59a motors to find a good oil pump idler gear. The machine shop I use jacked mine up so bad I could not use/save it. The first motor took some hammers and pry bars to free it up enough to turn it over so I could pull the clutch/flywheel off. The next two I had to cut the pressure plates off to get at the flywheel bolts. Both locked up bad. Popped off the first one to find a bad pitted gear. No good. Second one had a really nasty idler pin,Then the thirdthird one had a really nice gear and bushing. I bought the rest of the nos bushings that reds had just in case. Now I'm robbing peter to build Paul.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Short block is done and painted just didn't take pictures. Tomorrow the valves will get adjusted and then I will put the heads and intake on. Then Friday I will put it all in the car with the trans. Start the wiring hook up the radiator hoses and hopefully bang this thing on Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed. If she's running sat-Sunday that's gives me 5 days to fine tune and make sure she stops and steers so I can cruze grandpa to the trog...

7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are pulling for you, Bruce.

volvobrynk and sonic03bluegt like this.
  8. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

You can do it! I hope to see it at TROG next week! GOOD LUCK! :)

9. There is no way you will not make it...........with all the hard work you have put into this build I am sure Elmer will be riding in style........come race time.....See ya next week!

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  10. I hope you've got title/registration/inspection/insurance factored into that 5 days. :D

11. What's that:rolleyes: Isn't that why we all collect licsens plates. Grab one off the wall and bolt her on. Good to go

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  12. I won't be racing at trog. I will next year but not on a fresh motor. I will take my time breaking her in. I'm just trying to be able to be there in the car with grandpa.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. OLD REK

OLD REK

If only it was that easy up here in Canada, huh Speedy C????

14. image.jpg Here's one of my secrets on this motor. Huge pistons. See how much better they are than my 4 pound ballpin hammer.;):D

bengeltiger, volvobrynk and dumprat like this.
  15. image.jpg
    What do you think ol REK. Your carbs look good but the throttle shafts and pump rods are for 97s. 48s don't have the summer and winter shafts. I put some 48 jets in to start with and set the floats. Found two old arms and a rod. The red bases are the same color as I painted the motor. My grandpa says he always paint his motors red.

16. OLD REK

OLD REK

Thats why I trade Strombergs away and strictly build 94s, but they look great where they're perched!

paintslinger805 likes this.
  17. What is perched? Not sure of that they are really nice and clean inside. They are going to work great. I just left the s/w throttle shafts and rods. I think they are ok with s/w shafts as long as you use the 97 pump rods. If not I will order them. Thanks for them and I hope you like the intake. Good trade I'm happy. Plus I have a spare too.:D

18. OLD REK

OLD REK

Works for me too...I still have a bunch more 48's and small logo 97's if you have a need and intakes to trade for!!

19. The intake and carbs look killer! Plus the pistons are outstanding next to that 4 lb ball peen hammer.

20. One of the reasons I don't bother to collect license plates... haha

OLD REK likes this.
  21. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

That is funny Bruce, we must be brothers from another mother because I have vintage plates on my cars and none are registered to the car!!

22. DAM! This is looking good!!!!!!! and I will get to see it in just a few days in person......You ROCK Bruce.

23. Those are a few tools I used to put the motor together. The red connecting rod thread sleeves I had since I built vw motors back in high school. Snap on digital torque wrench. And a piston compressor and a pencil. If I had more time I would of made a ring compressor out of a slug of alum. And funneled the inside to the bore size. I really like those style of ring compressors I think they are the best. But the ol craftsmen did good.

timmy2times likes this.
  24. Hey Dennis I went back to my roots and built it on the ground. :D:D See you soon. I hope you bring your working hands I'm sure I will still have lots to finish when you get here.;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  25. image.jpg More to see tomorrow. Iv been to busy to snap pictures and put them on but it is really looking badass. Just trying to let everyone catch up alittle. Also had to trim up the oil pump screen gasket. I don't want any restriction. You can see how much it over covered the hole on oil pump. I think it's all the small detail things that make a killer motor. Take your time and look over everything. At least that's what I do.

volvobrynk and Aaron D. like this.
  26. Hey Bruce - just got home . . . the motor is really coming together! Keep after it!

27. Would be cool to make one that accounted for the 'relief area' - and dipped-down in that location . . . to help keep the damn rings from popping out as your working a piston/rod into a bore . . . Hmmmm . . . . now I'm thinking . . . LOL

28. Yea dale I sat and kept thinking "I know I can make a ring compressor on the lathe" but it can only be for one bore size. And each would have to have the same relief area machined into it. So if all the relived areas were the exact same it would be no problem. Long time ago I bought a 92mm aluminum slug style ring compressor for my vw motors. It was just a slug of alum. And the inside bore was funneled down to the bore size. So no matter what the ring would be perfect going into the cylinder. I tried the craftsmen ring compressor and it seemed like my relief was not that big and so as I tapped the piston down the compressor held the ring tight enough that they all just tapped right in. None of them slipped out. I did have two where the ring compressor wanted to tap down into the cylinder so I just pulled it up and reset it to start over. I just went really slow and it was almost to easy. Iv been really blessed with this hole build , thanks to guys like you and the knowledge of the gurus like yourself. Thank you.

timmy2times and volvobrynk like this.