Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SOUTHEAST GASSERS "BRAND X" BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMIBERT, Oct 12, 2015.

1. TNTBOO

TNTBOO

I think you have the part about carrying the front wheels 1 foot covered. :)

loudbang likes this.
  2. That's a little too high. Makes a good picture, but if you're going up, you're not going forward. I'm going to start easing it down with weight. Wonder where the car in your photo is now?

3. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Bert

I always wondered about this in the air stuff, plus not going forward you are out of control !!!!

DND

loudbang likes this.
  4. I know the gassers like them high, but too high is too slow. 8-10" is plenty.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

How bout the fact that some of the C/G guys are out wheelie'n some of the A/G guys?!

Bad Banana likes this.
  6. Looks good, but check the et difference. I know of one or two that could easily run A/G times by toning down the wheelies and a little fine tuning. But why, when you're on top of the game in C/G would you want to do that. Wheelies are fun, but winning is funner! I only wish I was fast enough to do that. I'd do the same thing. One of the quickest ways to slow one down is to stand it up.
    C/G is where the show is!

loudbang likes this.
  7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Bert your my kind of guy, with 4 on the ground and 4 on the floor and gett'n there first is what its all about
    This was my first day at the strip in 64', ran 11.85 on a 11.84 record and took home the trophy too and that was just ' Priceless ' for me IMG (4).jpg

8. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I don't think I can agree with you on this one Robert. To be competitive in A/G you need to be about 7 to 8 tenths of a second quicker than the fastest C/G cars we have right now. I can guarantee that there isn't any wheelstands in C/Gas that are costing 7-8 tenths per run. Honestly, around 18-24" high and carry out about 60-90 feet is about ideal. Just look at the record setting NHRA Stock and Super Stockers and you will see that is about what they do. I have made runs where the front end barely comes off the ground and it isn't any faster.

Yes.. when you get one 3-4 feet in the air it likely will hurt the ET some but I look at it like valve springs.. What it takes to compress a spring in power is given back on the back side of the lobe. I think you get some of it back as the car is coming back down. The thing that hurts a little is when you shift using the clutch so you do lose a bit of momentum with the clutch pedal depressed. But the fans like it and it is fun. Winning isn't everything... ;)

9. I don't totally disagree with you Rusty. I think you and your car are perfection as far as wheestands vs speed goes. As I've said before, I like to judge mine by yours. I didn't say they could bring them down and win in A/G, just run A/G times. I run C/G times but am not competitive (yet). I also agree that the clutch kills the momentum, but the closer to the ground you are when you clutch, the easier it is to gain that momentum back. In testing, mine were getting too high and like you said, the clutch kills it. I was getting up in the 3-4' range and wasting the momentum going up, not forward. In a perfect situation where everything is right, moderate wheels up is good. Means more weight on the rear tires=more bite. Very few are right though. Those are the ones, like myself, that will go faster by bringing them down. No, winning isn't everything, but it would be nice once and a while!
    I appreciate your (and everyone elses)opinion, I encourage it. A lot can be learned by listening. We have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Never hesitate to give me yours.

10. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Based on the pic and what you said if you could take about 20 to 25 lbs from the rear of the car and bolt it as far forward as you can it would probably put you where you want.

loudbang and Higgy's Henry like this.
  11. I've done almost that. I've already added 20# to the front frame rails forward of the axle, but didn't take any from the rear. No place to test over here before Myrtle Beach, but can easily add another 20 that I'll take with me. I'm plenty light, so I can now tune with weight. I listened to an interview you gave somewhere and I believe you said that's how you did it. My biggest downfall this year has been the lack of testing opportunities. We'll do better next year. The Carolina side of the mountain starts real early, so we'll be ready.
    Thanks again for your input. I'm always ready to listen.

12. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

That's what I Like about this group, Everyones willing to help out!

13. The SEG racers especially. I've never heard an "I told you so", instead you hear "maybe this will help" or "can we help". Great group.

14. It was one year ago today, 10/10/15, that we started this project. Then and now pictures.
    Been a long and bumpy road, but we are finally seeing some real results. Not as easy as I
    thought it would be though. I was going to come out and kick some butt, instead I got
    my butt handed to me! Don't regret a minute of it though. We learned so much for next year
    and met, without a doubt, the best racers on the country. Looking forward to next season
    with a word to my new friends--We're moving forward, not backwards!
    Thanks to Quain Stott and everyone involved.

Attached Files:

15. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Yeah we both have had some struggles this season, but its been more fun than I could have imagined, and I've made some great friends along the way. I believe next season will be even better!

AHotRod and Dog_Patch like this.
  16. Yes, I think we have a lot to look forward to, don't you?

17. TNTBOO

TNTBOO

Last time I saw it you were going backwards at top end in it. I still don't know how you missed the guard rail and got it stopped going backwards down pit road.

18. glrbird

glrbird

That sounds like a STORY!

loudbang likes this.
  19. You know, I had actually forgotten about that. I remember going through the first turn-off in the guardrail backwards and as it came around, there was Harold coming toward me down the pit road. God got me through the guardrail and Harold gets the credit for missing me! Not a scratch on the car. I had nothing to do with it. I had to run a remote oil filter and the pump end blew off just as I crossed the stripe. Everyone saw the adapter, still attached to the hoses, and thought it was a piston hanging out. It was either that or the time the steering wheel came off in the lights. Can't seem to remember. That was a nice car though. Made the magazines too.

20. We made our goal for the year, Top 10 in points. Next year, top half qualifying! SEG racing is a lot tougher than we thought. First year, Top 10 isn't bad though. Hopes are running real high for next season. A lot of good stuff happening this winter. Hoping to test early and as often as possible.
    Thanks to everyone connected to the SEG. They make it worth it all. PLAQUE.JPG

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

Awesome !
    Well done !
    Congratulations!

22. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I see in the rules that if you run 6.50 or quicker you are required to do 1' wheelies off the line.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

So proud of you Robert, Can't wait to see y'all again.

loudbang likes this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Wow from a rough fish to top ten in this short of time is nothing short of a miracle. congrats.

RileyRacing likes this.
  25. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Incredible Journey in record time!Great job.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  26. catdad49

catdad49

Think that this is quite an achievement, you should be proud!

27. Thanks to everyone for the comments, very encouraging. We are hoping for better things for next season. I think the C/G class could soon become the premier class.

loudbang and sonic03bluegt like this.
  28. My wife and I have proved that anyone can do this. The only thing we didn't do was the engine machine work. It wasn't easy, but who wants it to be! The SEG racers are the best in the world and we are very proud to be with them. I think D/G will make it even more accessible to those wanting to give it a go. Back in the day, you took what you had and built what you could. Took it to the track and had a ball. The fun was drained out of it as the bank account was drained to modernize and keep up. As long as Quain keeps a lid on things, we have a fun place to be and showcase what it was REALLY like.

29. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Congratulations on the results.

FWIW you've got a typo in your signature line.

30. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

It sounds like C gas today is like what B gas used to be like in the early 60's, lots of cars to race

In my day not many A cars and C was not quite fast enough, so B was the hot ticket

DND

mad mikey and loudbang like this.