Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 46 / 47 Lincoln continental

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lordz of kuztomz, Oct 4, 2016.

1. anyone know the difference between a 46 and 47 lincoln continental convertible?? i just picked up this one sitting in barn sinc 58 2016-09-26 11.21.07.jpg and not sure on year

Asphalt Demon and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Not sure on differences, not many for sure. Body type is 66H76, for 46, 76H76 for 47, and 876H76 for 48. This according to Pat Walsh catalog.

3. hudson48

hudson48

I am not an expert but like to research this stuff if I can help.
    From Encyclopedia of American Cars: 'Like most other makes Lincoln resumed peacetime production with warmed over 42 models that would not change much until 1948. The V12 reverted to its pre 42 displacement but produced only five fewer horses(125). The 46 grille work changed now composed of vertical and horizontal bars.. The 47's carried "Lincoln" on the hubcaps plus pull out door handles,pocket interior armrests and a hood ornament with a longer wing."
    Yours doesn't appear to have the pull out handles on the doors so may be a 1946.And do the hubcaps have "Continental" on them? That may point to 46.
    If it is a 46 Cabriolet body style 56 only 201 produced. In 1947 there was 738. Whatever year it is RARE. They do mention body style 76 as a convertible coupe in both years but no production numbers.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Tag on firewall will have body type number. I would say that is probably a 46 or early 47 with the script on the hood, IIRC it was different on the 47-48 models.

From what I have read, there isn't a breakdown of model units sold, only a yearly total. Here is a list of what info is available from The Henry Ford Museum. https://www.thehenryford.org/collec...-resources/popular-topics/production-records/

They did have a link where you could order copies of the original build cards if they had them, but I didn't see it since they have changed their website. I plan on getting mine, just haven't done it yet.

lordz of kuztomz likes this.

5. hudson48

hudson48

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The regular '47 Lincolns had pull-out door handles but the Continentals retained the pushbutton doors.
    The '47 had walnut interior trim; the '46 did not.

7. The car is missing the body tag.. but the vin starts with H1 like most of the other 46 I have seen , the 47 I have seen start with a 7H and 48 start with 8H so I am I right to assume mine is a 46?

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My 47 Zephyr Club Coupe has the pushbuttons. Maybe the 4 door sedans had the pull handles? No walnut interior either, but that may have just been on the Continentals. But then again, mine could have been painted over. Who knows in nearly 70 years?

My 47 vin number starts with 7H, so you are probably right on it being a 46.