Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. I waiting for a call back from Ross today. They have the second rings but the top rings have to be made so that's one if the things I will be asking for. I hope over night shipping is like 100 bucks to make them pay for their mistake. I hate to be like that but hopefully they will learn a good lesson.

2. Bummer to hear about the rings and delays.
    I'd start beating the bush to see if someone has a running flatty that you can borrow. It might not be the built monster you wanted, or exactly as your grandpas was, but I have to think that being on the beach in putt putt mode, is better than sitting on the sidelines.

Besides, don't old guys move slower? Maybe even a stock flatty will feel fast to your grandpa! :D

3. Well I do work better under pressure. So I'm not trippin. I'm on vacation the hole week up to trog. That's 7 days of work and break in. I will not be racing as I will still be breaking in the motor but next year I'm in. And grandpa needs to hear the sounds of a nasty flatty to take him back to his youth. I think a stock flatty would make him laugh at me and tell me hey why don't you half choke it so it sounds like there's a cam in the tiny little motor. Nope grandpa is going to say now that's one hell of a flatty when I fire this sucker up. All or nothing is the way I see it.

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That really sucks about the rings, but good on you for checking them up front. Imagine if you didn't catch this and had to do a full teardown later because you were having mechanical issues?
    Shouldn't be more than about $20 to over night them. Probably fit in a thick envelope.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  5. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Bruce , I hope you find the rings because I owe you a beer at TROG since the coupe will have to wait to race until next year........GO MAN GO!!

6. Well hell if I don't make it I guess we can sit together with a box of beer and and dream about how we are going to win the races next year. I'm already thinking I'm going to have my all original 29 A coupe there and my 45 flathead Harley race ready for next year. I want to have a huge BBQ at my pad for all the hamb guys that are coming out for trog. I'm a badass cook I gets down so we all need to hook up at my house. I'm 8 miles from the race. Grandpa will be here so I will be charging 10 bucks for autographs. Lol :D:D:D:D

timmy2times likes this.
  7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I guess Texas has this hot-ass weather in response to the murky, Mekong Delta-looking water off our beaches. Kinda rusty-appearing shit. Just can't wait to see BLUE.

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  8. Bruce, Gramps should make a ton of $$$ as you have made him famous with this kick ass cool build of yours. BQ cook out for hammers sounds like it will be a blast....Can't wait...and my bag is packed, with bird ticket in my wallet along with pass to the races.......Cal a forn ya here I come....YIPPIE!!!!

9. trad27

trad27

Sorry to hear about the rings. Was really looking forward to see the car at TROG. Been fallowing since the beginning. Good to see you taking your time and doing it all the right way though.

10. Pump the brakes 27 :D Don't count me out yet. I still have about 17 days. I will try until the very end to make it.

11. Keep humping on it Bruce - will help yah any way that I can! What is kind of a pisser is that you can see those Ross pistons advertised all over the place --> 3.375 bore and 1.5, 1.5, 3.0mm rings - yet they can't for some reason supply the rings! Probably just don't have them in stock . . .

On the decking, it isn't that the deck is .040 higher on the driver's side - it is the valves that are that much higher (due to factory designed crank/bore offsets - won't try to explain it here!). The decks can be all over the board - one just has to measure them with the crank in and two rod/piston assemblies (one each side) to figure out exactly where one is at - then the block is decked to even it up. I usually barely touch the "low side" and then make the high-side match (can be either side). The difference in valve angles and their height-to-the-decks has nothing to do with 'square decking' - two separate things.

You're doing all the right things - stick to it!
    D

timmy2times and Runnin shine like this.
  12. Update, Ross had a set of second rings left on the shelf. They did not have the top rings and those we would of had to have been handmade here in the great U.S.A So I'm going to use the the top rings and hand file the seconds to my likening. The top rings will work as the biggest gap is only .004 over the the .016 that they should be for a total of .020. It is not ideal but will work for this motor. I bet you would not even see a change on a dyno. As long as I hand file the second rings to .017 we will still make high compression and horsepower. So they should be here tomorrow. If so I will get the short block built by Sunday. I have to do some paint work on a 40 ford Saturday morning for an ol old friend then after that back to work on hypersonic. Keep those fingers crossed for me. I can't wait to much longer as I just can't wait to see grandpas face when he sees this hotrod start up and hear the sweet sound of an ol flatty loping and purring.

13. image.jpg image.jpg Found some more booty today. Now my intake, carbs and fuel systems are completed. Neat old eelco 3 port fuel block. I want to find a real old fuel pressure gauge that will fit in the middle hole. Then if I ever switch to three carbs I will have the fuel for it.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great story.

Thank you for sharing!

15. image.jpg image.jpg Well ol skip Haney is a man of his words. He got them last Friday and I got them back today all nice and new with the turbo fans for better cooling. I didn't get my damn rings so they better be here tomorrow. Now just have to trim them up cut off the mounts.

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  16. Your welcome I hope you read it all.

17. So as me and my happy wife sit here and think about me, grandpa, and this 32 build we think back to when we were kids and how much I always wanted a running flathead and a roadster. Then to find out about my grandpa being one of those crazy kids in the late forties running on the dry lakes, I can't believe I'm days away from a running driving holy grail all original (except a few parts) 32 ford roadster. With the power if the internet IE- H.A.M.B. The hole wide world also knows my story/history. I'm really happy to know all y'all are into the story of my family's history. I'm grate full that you all have found this to be amazing story good enough to follow along. I will be putting a lot of photos on here in the next week to catch you all up on the car. And then hopefully lots of you will see it at trog. Iv been ordering everything I can thing of that I may need to finish it enough to make the trog. Thank you all for the kind words and helping me along.

DylanHill1931, RICH B and Stogy like this.
  18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a cool pooch.

19. AULIZ

AULIZ

Grant have rings stock or they made those.

You live near, so You order extra long rings and they made those 1-3business day.
    Then You drive home and grind right end cap.

Aulis

20. Sure hope the rings get there Bruce......Not to many days left and I will be heading your way.......Keep plugging away on Hypersonic......

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  21. image.jpg
    Lookie here Dennis. Going to take my time and hand file/fit them today and then put the bottom end together tomorrow.

Aaron D. likes this.
  22. NEW RINGS!!!!!Now how cool is that.........Talked to Kevin today over the phone & it is all a go for him to pick me up at the airport the 12th. at around 9:00 AM. Why don't you message me your cell # so I will have it. I will give you a call before I leave and sometime Wed. after I get on the ground.

23. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I made this ring depth gauge out if a PVC pipe fitting. Put it in my lathe and cut it down to bore size and so I could get a perfect depth so I could file the ring perfect. Works like a charm. Got all the rings filed in about an hour. Only had to put about 20 file strikes to get .017 I should of done this myself in the first place. As the old story goes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Jet96, Egor, jckc and 3 others like this.
  24. Roger that Dennis have a safe trip and see you when you get here.

25. What a cool way to come up with a depth gauge...You never stop amazing me with your down to earth approach to matters. See ya soon my friend...

26. image.jpg Wolf whistle or no wolf whistle??? The long one came off my forty ford pickup. It was on there when I bought the truck but I took if off when I sold it. It is really old but I'm not sure when the first whistles were made. I realized this morning my garage is a pig pin and I need to do a major clean up before I build this motor. Need to get all my tools back where they go and I also need to build a engine stand adapter so I don't break my bell housing. Nobody in my town has one I can borrow it seems. Or I just build it on the ground.

27. You can do it on the floor Bruce, but a stand is so much better, plus your back will thank you for building the adapter. You think your shop needs a cleaning you should see mine.....looks like a bomb went off in it, but I will get it back together after I get back from the TROG races. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Both you two need to stop the sob stories! Mine has recently started to implode on itself! I've tried several times to put a explosive stop to it like those oil rig firefighters. I have a couple zig zag pathways like one of them hoarders on TV.
    [​IMG]
    If I showed you another angle you'd call an intervention.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DylanHill1931, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Crybabies. I work in an 10x12' shed or out in the dirt at a friends house.

Keep on building till the car is done. Then clean the garage.

bengeltiger, Jeff34 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you will build it to the 6th power, you will pick up 5.2 mph, according to Hustler Magazine. My Granddad's 1948 Ford 8-N tractor wore one of those fancy radiator caps

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016