Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The B.B. Cabriolet

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Back up for a cool story.:)

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Bryan, Great meeting you today at BB's and hopefully my two hooligan kids didn't drive your wife crazy. I emailed this link to my dad for your story of your car.

Chris

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Likewise. Enjoyed talking to your dad. Met some nice folks and saw some great cars at the Misfits show.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. .......So cool that Roger kept such detailed records of everything about the build-up of the car. It is a treasure for sure.

5. To my way of thinking, this is the one of the core reasons for my following the HAMB. A survivor car, honoring the gentleman that built and maintained it, being passed on to a new caretaker. It's a piece of automotive history that has to be preserved. What a great story! Thanks!

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. banditomerc

banditomerc

Wow! I know I'm coming into this thread late,but I Just read this thread. It was called to my attention by a gentleman,Tim, who drove up to Lynwood,ca from San Diego to buy a 1940 merc trans I had listed on the Hamb.
    Rodger Burke was my shop teacher in junior high(Belvedere J.H.) in East Los Angeles, around 1973. Mr.Burke would drive his cabriolet to work and park it in the street,not in the teachers parking lot.
    When I saw the picture of the car in this thread I knew it was Mr. Burkes car.
    He was so knowledgable I metal work. He is the one that got me hooked. He taught us how to do foundry,how to gas weld,braze,lead,..so many things. We made center punches which required heat treating...I could go on and on...RIP mr Burke I owe you a whole lot.

7. @banditomerc thanks for bringing this back to the top. I hadn't seen it before. So many great stories.
    With over 150k miles in street rods, I know I am not man enough to be a roadster guy. I have always wanted a Cabriolet. Not a roadster, but close.

8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Yep, 1932 cabriolets with a loooonnngggg history of being a hot rod are great and normally just a dream for us mortals. Luckily, I was somewhat similarly chosen to take over custody of one originally purchased as a 3W on May 5, 1942. I'm still in touch with a daughter who's looking for old pictures. Still haven't found the story on when or why the body was changed... might never know but the car was in the same family for 75 years!
    Here's a recent picture.
    IMG_6061.JPG
    An earlier picture with a better angle... at least to me!:D
    IMG_5725.JPG
    And another.
    IMG_5674.JPG
    Call me "Lucky Al!";):D

9. This is great! Thanks for sharing your story.
    I only knew Roger the day I bought the car but could tell he was special. His knowledge of incredible gas welding and brazing is evident in many places on this car. His work and passion indeed live on.
    Cheers to the generations before us that passed their talents on and made impressions that we have come to respect.

10. Hope you and the Mrs. are doing well, Bryan. Hope the two of you can come back East again sometime when things are better in the world. Stay safe, stay healthy............Don.

11. Don, is it okay to respond 2 1/2 years later?
    Plan on it! We’d look forward to another trip east.
    Regarding the car, she’s been “resting” way too much. Got to do something about that. :D

Outback and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. .......Absolutely Bryan. The Mobtown Greaseball, where I met you and your lovely bride, is coming up again next month in its' new, larger location, albeit still in Dundalk, Maryland. Might be too soon for you to plan a trip East, but hopefully the two of you can make the journey again in the near future. Stay safe, stay healthy.....Don. 347416419_2837270759739622_4639050011546764151_n.jpg

catdad49, crminal and Outback like this.
  13. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Great to see this pop up! What an awesome car & great story!

lothiandon1940 and crminal like this.