Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '32 FRAME

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by awd_maine, Oct 2, 2016.

1. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

Just looking for info right now, but I have a '32 Ford frame, complete, less the steering box. Original v8 motor, tranny, front axle, rear axle etc is all there. What might be a reasonable price range if I were to sell it. It came out from under an original Model 18 5 window coupe.

Thanks

2. Does it have a title? HRP

3. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

no title required in Maine

4. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

$2 and a box of envelopes

paintslinger805 likes this.

5. flatford39

flatford39

If it's straight a couple of grand easy.

6. F&J

F&J

Can't even guess with the whole drivetrain, especially if it's all 32 engine parts,

Not easy to find in New England if you want an original frame, I paid local, $1100 for an 50s hotrod frame, all it had was F & R crossmembers, and the K member. Sold the K or 250. The frame was certainly not cherry, and no papers.

Condition is really the $ key after knowing if it's all 32 engine pieces.

7. A title is a requirement in South Carolina. HRP

8. $1.50 and a jaw breaker.:D

9. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

that's a shame I guess but titles are just paper work and could be worked out. I do have the bill of sale which is all that is required in maine for vehicles over 25 yrs.
    Been a while since I have looked it over, but as I recall the frame is all good, straight, been stored inside since the 50's I pulled the body, it is all '32

10. When dealing with the South Carolina DMV a bill of sale on a car,truck or motorcycle is as worthless as tits on a bowling ball.

The just paper work is easy to say,extremity difficult & expensive here HRP

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  11. 2935ford

2935ford

Sent you a PM

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

The lack of title doesn't mean a thing to people in Connecticut either, hopefully people will have some money after Hershey. Bob

F&J likes this.
  13. If the engine is a correct '32 V8 the engine could be worth $4K and up depending upon the condition and it having all of the correct bolt on parts. The correct engine can be identified by the water petcocks on the block pointing straight down. Was the coupe restored or just original? How many miles? Can you post a lot of close up pictures? What is the serial number, use XXX for the last three digits?

Charlie Stephens

14. Pete

Pete

Massachusetts is very difficult with no title but a registration is an acceptable means of applying for title. SO if you have a registration....doesn't matter what year its from just as long as the numbers match the frame, most states will accept that. Mass is one of the toughest, iv been thru the ringer many times and its forced me to simply have my ducks in a row.

If the chassis is as nice as you say...i bet it'll bring 5K +

15. This past summer I had a guy in Florida offer me a rolling chassis like you describe with steering. It had some pitting on the frame but wasn't too bad. He wanted $6K for it . I knew of another one about the same and he wanted $13K for it. So, thats a pretty wide margin. Like they say, its worth what one will pay for it.

16. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

Thats such a shame.

17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Paperwork is key. I learned the hard way in Massachusetts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker likes this.
  18. racemad55

racemad55

I could work it out in a trade towards work-etc. You know, bones type stuff.

19. Lot's comes into play on this. Nebraska and a lot of other states it is along hill to climb to get a title for anything with just a bill of sale as they are worth no more than the paper they are written on. Also does the rail have any numbers on it? No numbers not worth as much as rails with numbers. A good set of late 32 rails will have 3 sets of numbers. First at the cowl, second mid way under the door area and 3rd at the hump over the rear end.
    I gave 1000.00 for a very nice set with all 3 sets just over 2 years back. So I guess it is what ever you want to ask and condition of the rails means a lot.

20. F&J

F&J

One rule of thumb that always plays out the same:

If you have a product that is extremely sought after, and not on every C/L or rarely on ebay...and if it's within a day trip away.....all the guys that say the value is low with no title, are left still looking.

I have never seen this not happen, ever.

we are not talking a Model A chassis. Think nice complete 32 body of any type with no title...it's gone to the state guys who don't need a title or have a plan B.

21. mickeyc

mickeyc

I bought a 32 chassis with correct numbers, 1940 juice brakes,
    a later model flathead and trans. and a new set of firestone
    deluxe bias plys. The titles matched the chassis or I would have let
    it sit. Titles are a deal maker or breaker for me.

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Both frames I have had legible numbers but no titles. All that was needed was bill of sale, no visual inspection. Only if its from out of state or '50 or newer it would require a visual inspection. Pretty easy in Kansas.

23. Squablow

Squablow

Without pictures, the range is just too wide to speculate.

F&J likes this.
  24. Ya got to love the state of Kansas when it comes to helping out us guys with getting paper work for these old cars. I got my title by going thru Kansas and then getting my Nebraska title. If not for that it would have been a real head banger..

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Are you stamping ("using") the #'s off the original frame onto another (original or aftermarket) frame that is getting placed back under the Coupe for the build?

If you are, you're essentially selling a chassis w/o #'s.

If you buy a frame that has original #'s but no title, you can jump through all the flaming hoops in your State to get a title for it IF the #'s are not already registered to another vehicle.

Plenty of guys buy an aftermarket frame or full chassis and roll it under a body. They stamp their # on the replacement frame. Sometimes they sell the original frame or chassis w/o grinding the #'s off.
    Next guy comes along, buys it, then starts the "get a title" routine and gets denied by their State DMV because 'the # is already in the system'. Now he essentially has "a frame/chassis w/o #"s.
    It's possible that any frame out there with #'s but w/o an accompanying
    title isn't able to be titled as such so don't pay too much of a premium for it unless you can first run the #'s to see if they're clear. Same drill as buying vintage license plates that you intend to run on a car.

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Yes, that is very true. First thing the tag office did was a search nation wide to see if the #'s I provided were in use or not.

27. Okay....so we can leave out about what - about 10 states....?

28. F&J

F&J

Does not matter if what you mean is about less demand?

Like farm milk, the cream always rises to the top. The rare stuff in good shape always gets a no-bs money buyer, no matter what. People who look for every known excuse not to buy, later tell their friends that they almost bought this or that, but never get one

29. I live in MA, just like someone said, no paperwork=bowling ball. You live in Maine (no titles necessary)

If you really WANT to sell it, and you want someone to buy it and pay top price:

Register it to yourself, apply for a title (no title necessary, but you can apply for one). Most states accept a copy of current registration and bill of sale.

Now you have opened up your potential buyers considerably, anyone who would be weary is now assured the paperwork is clean, and that the VIN #'s aren't going to be a problem, so it's a more desirable item.

You can see how this is better than : " no title required in Maine, I have no idea if the VIN is clean, please give me $6000, the rest is your problem, not my problem"

wheeldog57, H380 and F&J like this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

So what happens to the thousands of guys buying a REPRODUCTION 1932 Ford frames or just the rails?

Bob