Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tucks AV8 Pickup build thread-----> BABE THE BLUE OX

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Tuck I too only get to direct one hour or sometimes two to my builds. They're motivated hours I can tell you. Man would I love a dedicated all night'r like the days of old before a family. But I had no where near the love for what I was doing like now. It's much more rewarding squeezing a day out of an hour than using up a day for an hour. If that makes any sense cause I just made it up, clearly without any editing.

Outback, Claynan and Tuck like this.
  2. Jeff34

Jeff34

Wow. Just WOW!

Tuck likes this.
  3. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448857091.773720.jpg
    Here is a view from the bottom- i know it looks like the cross member is touching the steering box but its just the shadow- I shaped it around the box so it looks like its supposed to be there. Really happy with this cross member- it came out of a 34 olds... and it looks like it was meant to be- I just tacked it in and it already stopped the frame twist from steering. Can't wait to get it all welded up solid.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448857296.274943.jpg
    I finished up the mount on the drivers side and kicked the steering plate back about an inch- its in the perfect spot now and man does everything fit tight!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448857356.302976.jpg
    Started to make a gusset for the frame... it still looks a little wonky- I'm going match this to the box and then use some plate to mimic the webbing on the other side of the box so it looks like a factory mount.

buttoning up loose ends and then I'll blow it apart and finish weld everything... can't wait to get this frame to the bodywork stage! :)

Tuck-

Attached Files:

Outback, Okie Pete and patmanta like this.
  4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ha- that totally made sense! Hellfire increases with age? or family... hmmm.... ;-)

Thanks @Jeff34

rod1 likes this.
  5. I love this truck so damn much, I really need to build something cool like this in the future.

Consider me inspired!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Tuck likes this.
  6. Alright @Tuck. Now that you've gotten the Tuckster rolling, it's time to jump back onto this! :D

(Selfishly, I'm still hoping you'll have a minute to snap a detailed shot or two of your front motor mount. I'd like to see how you did it).

Tuck and patmanta like this.
  7. Just great!!

Tuck likes this.
  8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Have some updates-

I found a local chrome shop- brought parts in and they're getting plated- it's cool because some of them like the motor mounts I made. Those mounts are before being plated btw-

I got rid of the front axle I had because it was the only aftermarket part on the truck. I went with a dropped model a axle I filled and drilled. Bought it from my buddy Ryan while at the IOLA swap. It's one Titus dropped-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The bones I cut down so I could run stock model a perches that I pruned. I reshape A 1 1/8" drill bit to cut a new tapered hole for the perches and it will drop it an extra 1/2"... This axle is only a 3 1/2" drop and my last one was a 4" drop.

Anyway- really happy with how this is turning out! Can't wait to plate these parts as well.

Oh- and the full race Mellings cam is getting installed at my buddy's machine shop in Mora. I also found some other bits for this over the summer- shackles and NOS coils for the Spaulding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tuck-

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Outback, Lil'Alb, barrnone50 and 13 others like this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You really take some great photos.^^

Tuck likes this.
  10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I like this a lot:)

Tuck likes this.
  11. Great work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuck likes this.
  12. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

great stuff!

rysemus and Tuck like this.
  13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

[​IMG]

Starting to get parts back from the plater- fan,pulleys and everything else that bolts on the motor- (-;

14. Looks great by the way!

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

16. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Front and side mounts- (-; these hug the block and go to a crossmember I added that helps support the side steer box too- it's out of a 34 olds- the mounts these bolt too on the crossmember are 34 olds too-

17. Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
    I'd still love to see how you set up your front mount with the A crossmember when you have a chance to snap some pictures ;)

18. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Damn that looks good. Nice twist on the drilled axle.

greaser likes this.
  19. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Will do I'll take some better pics of the front mount as I finish it up- it's a modified 54 front mount.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man looks like you are having fun:)
    I will be busy working on OT vehicles this weekend.

21. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I haven't been able to post much because of a couple minor setbacks... one being that they put a new roof on the Old School where my shop is located to the tune of 350k... everything was fine until they were working over my area and left some stuff unfinished which led to my shop being flooded just as the school year was starting. I'm talking LAKE KANADA flooded... Not something I even want to talk about it sucked so bad... so cleanup ensued. The second thing- is the owner neglected to fix the boiler and I have no heat- which is supposed to change soon but I have a baby on the way (this month) so even if I do get heat my priority's are going to be with family this winter! Can't wait for baby to arrive- :)

Plan B is to work on some sub assembly's like the intake- rebuild carbs, install linkage, polish chrome and paint the bits- so this is the before post of sorts- I'll post back with an after when I'm done rebuilding the intake and carbs.

SO... I have been scrounging parts to make this happen- a pic I took previously with some sp tops and carbs I borrowed from my roadster.
    15276538_917581491674975_1636372360703508480_n.jpg

I think what I like about the sp tops so much is they make an intake look exotic, almost like it's equipped with injection or something. They also remind me of Ed Roth and that whole era of cool late fifties early sixties speed equipment.

yblock intake.jpg

I managed to piece together some stuff over time- I got a pair of carbs that ended up being old chrome and they cleaned up nice- had no idea until I got them they just looked like old 97's.. so that led me to put a want ad on the hamb and got a two for one deal to get my third carb. I managed to collect 3 more SP tops because the pic I took of the engine with them has been bugging me... It looked so rad I had to try and make it happen. I found some nos eelco linkage and the fuel rail is old Edelbrock I think.

So my goal is to get the intake along with the tops, linkage and fuel rail polished... paint the bases, clean up the old chrome bodies and install carb kits so the intake is turn key. Fuel lines, old chrome hose clamps, inline fuel pressure gauge, detail it out.

The other take off parts of the engine are getting chromed. Next step will be to paint the engine, install all the bright work getting me closer to the point I could potentially fire it up. :) :) :)

Tuck

22. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

that's going to look great

Tuck likes this.
  23. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

thanks for the update. The shop setback sucks, epic suck! Cant wait for the wee one to arrive.... tic toc

Tuck likes this.
  24. hammerd 31

hammerd 31

Awsome cool build love the truck,_wish i had a shop teacher like you thirty plus years ago,congrats on the family too

25. Roadsir

Roadsir

Great progress Tuck, who is the plater if I may ask??
    Thanks
    Eric

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man this truck is going to be so BADASS

bengeltiger likes this.
  27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

So how's it going?
    Is there any updates?

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

don't really have enough for an update yet- This is the only pic I have right now but just working through polishing parts and getting engine stuff ready for the chrome guy- I did do some welding on the chassis fixed some details and I got a full set of shocks off a 41 ford. I bought a bolt on kit for the running boards and new rear shackles and bushings for the suspension.

15535385_1219961851418724_7384032282090143744_n (1).jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Outback, Okie Pete, brEad and 3 others like this.