Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A 265 Chevy build with a cool story

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bfalfa55, Jul 23, 2013.

1. dblgun

dblgun

I am for sure to an engine guru but if your setup ends up needing it I have used/use GM .016-.018 shim gaskets with aluminum heads and have had no issues with them. Make sure that everything is flat, use good fasteners and make sure of your torque values. It will depend on where you end up with deck, piston/head clearance and all the other things you will want to consider to maximize quench while avoiding "things" getting together. You can get MLS gaskets from Cometic and others that come in around .025-.027, I have used hem also and they are nice, I also think the fire ring is fine at the edge of the bore as long as there is not overhang and obviously as long as you get a good seal. I would like to see a picture once you have time to post one to see exactly what you're dealing with.

loudbang likes this.
  2. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Hey dblgun, look back in this thread on PAGE 7 in about the middle of it, I have pictures (the first one is probably best) posted where you can see how the tops of the bores were modified.

3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, you and your Son are so lucky to have your Father/Grandfather to not only offer advice but help with your builds. Hang in there, guys ! I am reliving the "good old days" when the 265-283 were kings. They still are to me.

Outback and loudbang like this.
  4. dblgun

dblgun

Yeah bfalfa I remember the photos you posted then, I was wondering about photos where the gaskets you were speaking of are shown on the block.

5. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I reordered my gaskets and will have to run a 4.125 bore, .039 gasket. This will give me a .054 quench and 10.15:1 comp. Taking .010 more off the block will put me at .044 and right about 10.5:1. I don't know if doing that is worth it or not for the effort. Thoughts ?

loudbang likes this.
  6. dblgun

dblgun

If you're certain about those compression figures, make sure to take the camshaft's effect on dynamic compression into consideration.

7. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I will most likely be choosing from some other cams because I think the lift the first Lunati rep recommended won't give em enough valve to piston clearance. The other 2 I am looking at have a calculated 8.41 or an 8.71 dynamic compression ratio. Do you think it is still safe enough with the 8.71 running 93 pump gas ?

8. dblgun

dblgun

Common reasoning is that greater than 9:1 dynamic compression ratios are normally race engine territory. Obviously like so many other things with cars and engines there many opinions which are based on what you are willing to do/put up with. I believe that your plan is to run aluminum heads with a more modern design combustion chamber which should allow you to run more compression. Maximizing quench will also make your engine more compression tolerant. As you already know the more compression you can get in that little engine the better. In my opinion you can run the dynamic compression at 8.71 and with the proper tune and fuel mix you should be able to make it work fine.

loudbang likes this.
  9. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Thanks dblgun. I was thinking much the same, it's just good to hear it from others who have knowledge and know the little engine has to be approached different and a little more precise with the right combo of parts!

10. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Based on where my cam RPM range is 2,300-6,300 RPM, .218/.228 duration @ .050, .503/.503 lift. 112 LSA hydraulic roller, do any of you think I will benefit from an X pipe or an H pipe in my 2 1/4 inch exhaust system ? I read some conflicting information as to how it may benefit or hurt my little 265. I would like to hear your suggestions or if you think it isn't worth the effort at all.

11. sololobo

sololobo

what a cool info load in this thread, love the 17 year old being interested in the build. I went with my my brother to pick up a super clean little 265 last year, it is lurking in the corner of his garage wanting to run again, it will. All this info is super. Thanx to all sololobo

12. sololobo

sololobo

again I must say this great thread has more info than google!!

13. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Yes it does and you can thank all on the HAMB for their input. Unfortunately, I have made this a long, drawn out affair but it probably has allowed every question and answer someone could need or want to build a 265 or even a 283 get asked.

504640 likes this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, whatever happened? Did we build said 265?

Outback likes this.
  15. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Not yet, I am the ultimate procrastinator ! I think about it too much and second and triple guess myself. I have just been enjoying my 55. I do plan on doing it this summer. It's actually been tough trying to find a machine shop that will even touch it believe it or not. Most seem afraid to touch it!

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wow, its just a sbc, nothing too different.

17. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If a machine shop won't do that, you're at the wrong shop.

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I know Roothawg, I said the same thing it's just an sbc. 427 sleeper, that's why it isn't at any of those shops. I throw most of them for a loop when I talk about pulling the rear cam bearing to modify the oiling. Most have zero clue what I am talking about. I also find most want to do a complete rebuild and this doesn't need it. It's already been tanked, bored and balanced. Seems like they want to make their top dollar not just a little money for the things I want done.

19. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Is it really resurrecting a dead post when the original poster is just slow and has still always planned to build this thing ? Well it got put on hold for a while but I never gave up on it. I have actually started gathering parts. I just picked up a Fisher Harmonic balancer for $5o and a set of 3/8 stud. 1.5 ratio Harland Sharp full roller rockers for $125. Harland Sharp is almost in y backyard and the father/son that run the place live in my daughter's neighborhood. They will rebuild them if anything is amiss with them. I am looking to run this cam: https://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/lun-10120703lk/make/chevrolet. Since it's been a while, this engine is .060 over, all balanced, align bored and decked. I will be running mildly ported L98 aluminum heads, Domed pistons (right around 10.5:1 comp) amd a ZZ4 dual plane intake manifold. I will also be running the always hated and misunderstood Quadrajet but properly setup to work with this combination. I will be putting it in the "WRECK" you see in my profile pic. It will be backed up with an original rearend with 3.70 gears and a 2.64 first gear ratio Super T-10. A 4:11 12 bolt is in the future and possibly some type of 5 speed but that is down the road away. As stated a while ago, too many shops have no clue how to work on a 265 and make some of the simple modifications I need to make. I did actually talk to "OHIO"GEORGE" Montgomery himself and that just may be where it goes to get worked on. If you are going to build an old engine who better than a Legend himself and his staff to work o it for you ! I promise, I will actually build this this time. I have gathered a ton of info. from everyone on the HAMB over the years for this and it will all go into finally getting this done. I will be vary curious what this combo produces in Torque and HP numbers.

Outback, 427 sleeper, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Glad to hear it.

bfalfa55 likes this.
  21. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's get this built.... Blue Suede Cruise will be here end of July 2023. You can run so many Time Trials on show car side at Norwalk. Can really dial her in.

22. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I won't have it built that quick but I do plan on going and flogging the crap out of my 55 anyway !
    lol !

23. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was there last year, was amazed how many passes you could make, between the Nostalgia Racer Rounds.

Hot Lapping was definitely in the agenda.

Outback and 427 sleeper like this.
  24. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Good to see this thread resurrected, looking forward to seeing it come together & the report. I have a sbc from a 57, so will keep this thread in mind when it comes time.

GlassThamesDoug, Deuces and bfalfa55 like this.
  25. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Outback, do you have a 57 265 ? If I didn't already have this 56 265 short block, I'd consider a 57 265 block. You don't have to modify the rear cam journal for a 57 265. I need another 265 block like a hole in the head ! I have (1) 55 265 and (2) 56 blocks. I am waiting on my roller rockers to show up, Have to get my work bench in order to start working on the heads. If someone has a set of hardened push rod guide plates for 7/16 studs, shoot me a message. Since I am running regular roller rockers and not self-aligning one on my L98 heads, I need to replace the factory guide plates. They were only there to hold the push rods on the assembly line and won't work with the new setup. I will be looking for other parts too, so if anybody sees me post something I'm looking for, shoot me a message with what you have !

GlassThamesDoug and Outback like this.
  26. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

@bfalfa55 hey mate, my engine came out of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Not sure of the size? Were 283's available then?

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  27. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

]
    Yes they were available. All 57 283 and 265's have the same block casting number. A 57 265 was an entry level V8 and only came in standard shift with a 2 brl. carb. I know this to be true for cars but I am not sure about trucks.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  28. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If same casting, would have thick cyl walls for 265.... I would bet ring gaps would need to be opened up, piston clearance if Alum little extra....any ideas.. might be a reason offered in 2bbl only.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  29. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Brings back old memories. A friends father was a consulting engineer and GM called him in to solve an very early oil problem with the 265. He recommended cam grinding the pistons which worked. We went boating with him the day after he got home here in Euclid, Ohio.

Deuces, GlassThamesDoug and Outback like this.
  30. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

These blocks are also supposed to be thicker so they can be bored to 4in if I am not mistaken. I don't think there was anything different to only offer the 265 only with a 2 bbl. The difference with these is that they were made with the oil hole inside the annular groove of the rear cam bearing. 55-56 265's had "pulse" oiling to the top of the engine. That's why all the cam manufactures ask the question about what year so the flat can be milled in the rear cam journal itself. That system of oiling had it's issues. It is easy to modify these blocks to oil like every other small block. you have to grind about a 1/4 groove to connect the annular groove and oil hole in a 55-56 block. Some place on my computer I have a write up from I believe "Chevktalk" on the internet that details all this and how to do it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    Deuces and GlassThamesDoug like this.