Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on 327 motor and 4 speed Muncie for c20 truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53CHKustom, Sep 21, 2016.

1. I believe, through all the comments, that the folks here are trying to direct you to an area, where you will not be burned mechanically or financially.
    Many of us have felt the "burns" over the years, just trying to keep you on a good path !

2. cretin

cretin

In my brutally honest opinion, you don't have enough mechanical and automotive knowledge to buy another car that will need attention, and you should find somewhere else to bang your roommate.

bobss396 and J. A. Miller like this.
  3. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Could be.... I was working on my 53 Chevy full of grease underneath the car in the garage and I feel her grab my hand and before I knew it car grease was literally all over her from my hands. I'm running out of new places and a truck bed sounds like fun! :)

In any case all good points. If it was idling better and stopping better I'd have no hesitation to buy it at $2500 drive it a little each week to go to fiesta island(2 miles from where I live) and unload that thing as is in a year or two. I loved the height of that truck even though some say the suspension is shot and I loved the tires and sound of the exhaust, if it ran and stopped I'd drive it as is and not touch the body and not care. If something major came up where it needs shop attention I could unload it as is for parts and would hope I could get $2000 and then find a much better truck later when I feel like spending more.

In any case I agree I don't have the experience and knowledge to tackle big issues that would come up in the longer term if I kept the truck for long. If the guy takes care of the brakes and idling I'll reconsider for $2500 or if he took closer to $2000 which he probably won't.

In the mean time I'll keep looking. I appreciate everyone's advice on this.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    henryj1951 likes this.
  4. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

You know nothing ever changes. We only have enough blood to fill one of our two heads and when the blood drains from the upper to the lower, the brain is deprived and it starts to conjure up weird thoughts and circumstances. If all you want to do is get laid, just buy the cheapest truck you can find and forget the repairs.

bobss396 likes this.
  5. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Yes! That's why I was looking at that c20 with $2500 in mind if the guy makes it idle better and at least stop without pedal going to the floor.

6. Just rent a truck to lay in the back and do stuff. Once the new wears off she'll have you jumping through another hoop.:rolleyes:

jeffd1988 likes this.
  7. Or just buy a truck bed and call it done.

8. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Haha if 63-66 c10 or c20s could be rented id go that route! She has me jumping hoops but this one is a lot more fun compared to the many others I've done "stuff" with.

9. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Haha
    True but she said it would be fun to do "stuff" on a canoe after getting a truck so it has to move at least a couple miles to fiesta island where I can launch a canoe.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Given enough time you will find that those trucks (any) and women (any) have a lot in common; the "honey do's" never end. But when both the truck and girl are the right ones; it's worth it!

Woogeroo likes this.
  11. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

That's an awesome perspective.

12. C series trucks are cheap enough if you look around. While not my favorite combo I have even owned some 6 cylinder 3 speed trucks that would more then pull their weight. I would not be looking at anything bigger than a C-10 unless I was planning on pulling a trailer and unless your pretty short a long bed is best for looking at the stars from.

gas & guns likes this.
  13. 47ragtop

47ragtop

My point exactly. Take your time and you will find one that speaks to you .

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  14. 47ragtop

47ragtop

That's what I call using the Little head to do the thinking for the Big head !!

15. belair

belair

Used cars are like women-they all have issues. You just have to find the one whose issues you can live with.

Woogeroo likes this.
  16. patterg2003

patterg2003

Look for the best bargain on a truck that has a good body, solid drive train & will pass a safety. It will cost a bit more but at the same time is worth more as a solid working truck. In the long run it will cost less versus buying a fixer and finding one's self knee deep in a project to end up spending more in the long run. If it is tired and a fixer then likely the owner is tired of the financially hemorrhaging with the truck or neglected it to avoid spending. Look at it as payments. Buy a cheap fixer and steadily put money in it waiting for the next event & lose faith in its reliability to eventually spend more. Borrow a little more to get a good truck then pay it off in reasonable payments and drive it relatively trouble free so it is enjoyable. The better truck well maintained will sell higher and give back more of the investment. Who knows if it is a great truck, well maintained that it may even appreciate overtime as that model gets more popular to offset the cost of ownership.

How many old vehicles have been seen for sale where the owner says he has invested more in it than he is asking. At the end of the day taking a fixer upper up to a good running truck would cost more. When it is time to sell the fixer upper truck then it has to compete with a good solid running truck which sets the market. If fixing is an addiction that needs to be satisfied then the fixer up is the way to go as there will be less driving.

If an old truck is a path that really is worth the trouble. Boils down to wants versus needs.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  17. Gravel can work with 3/4" ply wood or thicker......but it SUUUUUCKS I did it through high school and don't want to again.

18. I recall post # 1 stating the OP was willing to spend $5500 to $6000 for a truck.
    6 pages later, the buying price has dropped to $2500, by the OP.
    We can only give so much info of value to assist, in this buying procedure.
    The OP getting laid is not of a concern to me, maybe not to others, as well.
    It appears this thread has rambled on now, for 6 pages, for no good reason.
    Good luck with your purchase.

19. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Haha the getting laid part is partially a joke. I would like to take an old 60s truck and throw my surfboard in the back and go surf and use it to do local errands etc.

Yes my range was $5500 to $6000 and still is but nothing has shown up in my region very worthy at that price. The $2500 just happened to be with that particular truck that showed up given its state. In any case as I said a couple posts ago, I'll keep being patient since going far outside my region is difficult and I'd consider the $2500 if the guy made it idle and stop fine. I agree it's rambling on and the best advice was already given to me. Thanks for everyone's help.

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just go buy a s10 or Ranger. Ought to be some cheap ones out there, they are new enough they shouldn't need many repairs, and they will be big enough for the light jobs you have. And they both came in long beds for those kinky moments. Just don't get caught by Johnny Lawman with your pants down ( or off). They kinda look down on that out in public. :)

21. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Take your time and find a nice truck to buy. Lose the girl. She sounds like a real pain in the ass. There are tons of nice fun girls in San Diego that will take you on rides :)

henryj1951 and cretin like this.
  22. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Yea I do like the 53-59 or 63-66 c10 trucks enough that being patient would pay off since I'll most likely enjoy the truck even without the girl. You are right regarding this one being a pain (though I'm currently having fun pushing my boundaries) and the fact San Diego has Lots of nice fun girls.

henryj1951 likes this.
  23. Buy an engine hoist.
    That's good for doing "stuff" too. :)
    It's cheaper, it stores easily, there's no maintenance and there are no boundaries!

24. upspirate

upspirate

As for the sex in a canoe......it's like drinking lite beer, they are both F---ing close to water!!:eek::D

25. upspirate

upspirate

BTW , I think it's a great idea to get an old surfin' beach truck....keeps the sand and salt away from your nice custom. That salt water dripping from the boards , canoe and kayaks will eat up a vehicle plus inside on the floor.
    That's one reason I don't trade my OT 180K mile Trooper for a new OT $40K truck just to drip salt water on it

53CHKustom likes this.
  26. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Yup all jokes aside I don't take the 53
    when I'm going surfing but I would an old truck.

27. I ended my surfing career working out of a '65 Chevy C30 panel truck. That was parked by the ocean often enough, not in the range of surf spray. Sometimes when the back doors were opened up, it was a scene out of a Cheech and Chong movie, good times.

upspirate and 53CHKustom like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

56254332.jpg

29. You were there... I actually looked like Chong in my younger years, I worked with a guy who looked like Cheech, had a lot of laughs over it.

53CHKustom likes this.