Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 ford coupe found it's way back home after 56 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hapydz, May 16, 2013.

1. That would be Joe Mitchell's 32 from Lake Havasu City Az. A very nice 32.

Hapydz likes this.
  2. It looks perfect from all the angles, I've seen. The wheel /tire combo sets it off, beautifully ! Elegantly under-stated !

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    patzfab likes this.
  3. Another shot of Joe Mitchell's perfect '32 ...... Joe Mitchels 32 rear.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    slug, 2deuces64, LOU WELLS and 2 others like this.
  4. Joe also has a beautiful 32 roadster, and is a former member of the L.A. Roadsters and also a Former President of the L.A. roadsters, plus being a super guy. Also a founding member of Havasu Deuces.

Hapydz likes this.
  5. From what I can find on the internet, Ryan Reed picked the perfect wheel/tire upgrade for Joe's beautiful '32. Sure would like to know the tire sizes' as I think they are perfect ! Thanks for the info Don !
    Ryan Reed Designs.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    30TudorSedan, Roadsir and JUNK ROD like this.
  6. I will ask Joe

7. Thanks Don! That's very good of you !!!

8. O>K> here you go : Rear 235-75h -16 on custom 7.5 inch by Wheelsmith, front 145-15, 15 x4 by Wheelsmith, neutral offset.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Great info Don !!! Thank you very much... :)

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They sell those contour gauges at Lee Valley tools as well.
    That's where I got mine.

Hapydz likes this.
  11. As it turns out Blue, a fellow I have coffee with in the morning is a wood carver and he told me that he has one also. Oh well, now I have one of my own, and will probably use it once.
    At least it didn't cost very much....lol

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  12. Switch 2.jpg Today was perfect in Thunder Bay for moving the fleet around in my little shop. I pulled out the '32 to make room for the '39 in the storage part of the shop for the winter so that I can finally start on the '32 in the work bay (as I call it) area....Ya Hoooooo !!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    OahuEli, JUNK ROD, Lamego and 3 others like this.
  13. Well, I was able to get 20 lb. into a 10 lb. pail today without damaging anything... (Shaun). There is actually more room than what it looks like. Let the beating, banging and wrenching begin.... 20 lb.jpg

14. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

It's a shame to park that sweet '39 up for the winter after just getting it back on the road!
    Anyhow, carry on with the '32. Great story!

Hapydz likes this.
  15. As I was washing it down today, I was thinking about the last time I did this, which was about 60 years ago....:rolleyes:

Denns1989 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Yesterday I was getting ready to extract the un-needed parts that came attached to my old '32. The enging goes to Mel, the wrong front axel goes to Gary and the diff goes to Dave... All of these parts were installed back in the early 60's just before the project was halted. I'm glad I have all the right stuff to take their place... Sunday 2.jpg

wedjim, JUNK ROD, greaser and 2 others like this.
  17. john dioli

john dioli

What a wonder story and build ill keep an eye on this build

Hapydz likes this.
  18. Jeez, I could have give you a hand with some of the re-arranging, parts pulling. We left Thunder Bay for the Soo, around 11am.

Hapydz likes this.
  19. Got back to Thunder Bay last evening from a short visit at my son's home in London , Ont.........aka "Laneway Customs" where he is building a '59 Pontiac Two Door Hardtop..... Anyway, I got back out to the shop today and pulled the engine....Another step closer. Engine Removal.jpg

oliver westlund and JUNK ROD like this.
  20. Made another Hot Rod Parts Run into beautiful Mn. today to pick up these spring perches. I should have known that they were made off shore due to the low price.....but I thought I would give them a try. When I assemble the front end I will make the desicion whether I use them or not....:rolleyes: SP PERCH.jpg

21. I took the body off the frame today. It looks so much better without the frame , etc. I will now be able to address the issues with the frame and really look forward to the challenge ! Body Off 1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  22. titus

titus

Ron, i may be in thunder bay next weekend, ill try to get ahold of you when i am so i can maybe stop by.

jeff

Hapydz likes this.
  23. Looking forward to seeing you Jeff !

24. I would hope by the end of the weekend we will have given the promised parts away and I will be able to start on making the frame right..... Roller Day.jpg

25. Good friend and the talented guy responsible for the beautiful transformation of my '39, Shaun took the engine away that was in the '32, tonight for his buddy. My little shop looks so much larger...;) Shaun Haulin.jpg

JUNK ROD and LOU WELLS like this.
  26. How about that,your first hotrod back home after all that time. Great story and I hope it's an even better build

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hapydz likes this.
  27. And the diff came out today....Just about ready to start going the other way..... 32 Diff.jpg

28. Roadsir

Roadsir

Great to see progress being made.. Looks like your motivated!

Hapydz likes this.
  29. Dave came over today with his nephew to collect his reward for telling me the ladies name that had the '32. He wanted the old Ford diff. and since I was going to use a Ford 8" diff. I was happy to give it to him...I can't believe how large my little shop is getting...LOL... Sharky 3.jpg

LOU WELLS, JUNK ROD and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. Great story - one of my favorites. My 32 Cabriolet is a very stock/solid car - except I swapped in a 42 Merc engine and a 39 transmission. If I can ever help you with anything, just PM me.

Hapydz likes this.