Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods now a '33 5w chopped ford hemi coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Aug 20, 2016.

1. I need some help finding good directions on chopping my '34 sedan. I've done extensive searches on this and other forums, and haven't found much. I've searched the net and found numerous examples of coupes but few sedans. I need examples, pics and directions. I want to do this right.
    Here she is....aint she beautiful
    [​IMG]
    the shipper picks her up early next week and I should have her by the weekend.

2. Make sure the doors shut good and straight,body mounted solid,weld bracing to keep it true.Can't have too much bracing.Good looking tudor.

3. Thanks Texas.........I familiar with the bracing and securing the body and the door closure. I've done model A's coupe and sedan but this is different. I need specific examples, pics ,drawings, directions......on how to do this. This is way too nice to screw up.

4. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Find the September and October 1972 issues of Rod and Custom. The best story ever on chopping a top and the 'choppee" was a 34 Tudor. There are 35 detailed pics plus text. I had never chopped a top before and I ended up chopping a 33 and 34 tudor and a 34 Vicky using this great 2 part story. img040.jpg img041.jpg img025.jpg img026.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    ls1yj, kidcampbell71, RODIST and 2 others like this.

5. I too, would be sure and use a lot of bracing. That said, here are some pics of my '34 that I chopped in '76 without any bracing. The R&C article will be good reference material. PM me if you want more info. Tim (I also did two 3wndw coupes ).....Don't lean the poles back. 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 018.JPG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  6. great ,thanks 47........I'll try and locate one.....any body have a copy that could email me the info.....

7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Are you planning on running fenders? Do you plan to channel it? This is merely my opinion, but I think you can get by with a bit more chop if going fenderless than if you're running fenders. A mild chop with fenders and no channel gets out of proportion real fast. Search out HAMBer Kirk Hanning. He built a 34 sedan and channeled it somewhere around 6" and had somewhere around a 3" chop and went fenderless. I really really liked the way it looked.

RODIST and ff1930 like this.
  8. thanks ronz.......no fenders maybe 3" channel to hide frame, no sure have to see how she sits first. I like a lot chopped .

luckylou and ronzmtrwrx like this.
  9. 47 I just found and bought theses two issues of Rod&Custom on Ebay. I'll have them soon. Thanks man

10. Kiwikev's thread on chopping a coupe is very detailed , helped me a lot.

w.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nice-weekend-to-chop-a-34-5-window-coupe.417981/

I chopped mine 5" 33 5w.jpg

RODIST, Pete, texkbc and 2 others like this.
  11. 2deuces, I found Kiwi Kev's thread, its insane......intense....but real informative...thanks

texkbc likes this.
  12. well , she was loaded up this afternoon and on her way to my shop.......be here Fri. pm
    [​IMG]

13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

From those pics, it looks like a real solid body. It'd be a shame to channel it. I think a 3-1/2" chop is just about the most a Tudor can handle and still have good proportions. They can't handle as much as a coupe without looking squished. I also agree that you shouldn't slant the front posts. Split the roof.

14. corn fed....I'm going to have to study the chop more to make a good decision on the inch's to chop , post slanting and channeling.
    thanks for your chiming in.

15. well, she's home....pretty solid....now the fun begins.....I'm looking for a dash,gauges,cowl vent lid,grille, hood,inner fenders ,rear lights, gas tank, etc.....pm me if you have these items for sale.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and Icufltrn like this.
  16. Dirk35

Dirk35

I had Kenny Baker from Elmer MO chop my 34.

Here is a link with some pictures (no instruction though).
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/choprods-latest-chop-34-ford-sedan.200941/

I definitely recommend cutting out the rear window and moving it down. He extended the roof in length, and it doesn't look like the A pillars were leaned back. Make sure you account for the thickness of the upper door tins (I can see they are still attached to your car in the picts).

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. 47ragtop

47ragtop

That's a real nice looking body !! Definitely worth chopping . I chopped my brown tudor 2 3/4 on the front posts and 2 1/2 in the back. My yellow car was 3 3/4 on the front posts and 3 1/2 in the back . The reason for more in the front was the length measured on the posts is not true vertical. A 1 inch difference is a lot more than you think when chopping a top. I agree with others , over 3 1/2 inches makes the car look quashed because the top is so long. A 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch chop is so sneaky looking, I always wanted to do one like that. Also the more you chop the more work ( like splitting the top in the front and also in the back) it is to put her back together. I hope you got the magazines I recommended and that they will help you. Happy chopping . Bill

18. adam401

adam401

That looks like a VERY solid start!

19. ragtop. I got the magazines and I've been studying them closely. I'm sending you a pm with my email. I'd like to see your 3 1/2 " chopped car. The article recommends 2 1/2" is the best amount to chop and requires the least amount of work. 3 1/2' requires the front section of the roof to be streached and attention to the rear window. A 4'' chop is a "tanks" job and should only considered for show or dry lakes competition. Bla, bla, bla,head room, small size of windshield, law requirements.
    Well , I want a 4" chop. I think they look bad ass. I want a bad ass looking '34 sedan with a hemi.....and that's what I'm gonna build.
    thanks for complement of my '34

thanks 401. I really like her

20. Dirk35

Dirk35

My 34 is an angle chop also. He removed 2 1/2 inches out of the front and 2 inches out of the back.

2345.coupe, please do take the time to take a lot of pictures. I'm excited to see the progress.

21. brady1929

brady1929

Cool hot rod project

22. thanks for the advice.......I will look at lots of pictures.

thanks man....I also think so.....

23. Well, I decided that 3 1/2"is my chop goal.

timwhit likes this.
  24. well I've been doing a lot of thread searching,thinking and planning and today I took some action. I removed the door post wood and window track felt. Bought a new hack saw, some extra blades and a aluminum ruler, bendable...so I can bend it around the rear of the car for a precise straight, level, lines.
    Still thinking about how many inches to remove. Either 3,1/2" or 4". Also slant the windshield posts or extent the roof. If I slant the posts, I don't see why you have to cut the whole cowl section away, why not cut the posts and just slant them. Have to study that some more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. I sure would like to have that body in my garage to play with. Let me know if I can help you through the decision process. That's a great looking body and I'm excited for you. I'll be checking in with you. Tim

26. Thanks Tim..........I will let you know. I'll pm you.

27. well, my buddy and I got the sedan all measured up for the chop. I'm not happy I have to cut through the middle of the back of the car. I wish I could cut on the side and below those beautiful curves. I did that with my model A and it turned out great . I'm not sure if that would work on a '34. I've seen on done but I didn't like how the back window turned out.
    So , I'll research it some more before I start cutting.
    Oh yeah, it's a 4" resection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, Icufltrn and bigheadbaxter like this.
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Definitely heed this advise. Look at the dramatic difference 1" makes Ragtop's Brown vs. Yellow Sedans.
    You have a great solid Sedan to start with. I'd say cut it 3", place the top back on and have a look. You can always trim another 1/2" at a time off until it looks right.
    More is not always better on chops, especially with Sedan's. You can get away with a lot more on Coupes.
    IMHO, there's been a lot of cars chopped too much lately many times with too much angle.

RICH B, patterg2003 and 47ragtop like this.
  29. good advice Hot rods ta hell......I like the yellow sedan chop, better than the brown. So I'll have to modify my lines.

30. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Hot Rods Ta Hell has excellent advice. Chop it less and lay the top back on. If you want more , Chop It Some More !! Yes, you can chop a coupe more than a sedan because of the length of the top. Always cut the top posts off "short " and the car posts "long ". It is much easier to cut the posts on the car again than wrestle with the top on the floor Always cut where the posts are the straightest. I think the final color of the car affects the look as well, black makes the car look more sinister to me. Chop on !! Bill