Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 354 Hemi Engine Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tartar_sammich, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty sure they go in with the M shape on the cap and the double ribbed side towards the pan.

els likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What does the cover look like

els likes this.
  3. Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    els likes this.
  4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@tartar_sammich Yep, that's how I put mine in and it seals. It would probably work either way since the ends are perpendicular to the long sides. I used a little smear of RTV on both surfaces as insurance.

els and tartar_sammich like this.
  5. Thanks, I'll put it on this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  6. IMG_1474338114.925988.jpg

Dad sent this from home, he put the breathers on the valve covers, I think they look sweet. I'm surprised he was actually able to take a picture that was in focus, much less send it! We'll put the oil pan on this weekend and we will have the rockers by then as well. After that we measure for pushrods then we'll see if this thing will run!

We also repainted the entire thing, it had started to get dirty and chip so we wheeled it out and gave it another coat. You might notice that I did a better job on the front cover area as well

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  7. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have to follow this. Inspiration for my late 331. 1955, if I remember right.

8. That is what this one originally was, guy who built it long ago had it bored out to 354. We had to sleeve one cylinder due to damage, others looked good.

els likes this.
  9. Oh boy! Adjustable rockers just came in! Huge shoutout to Gary and the guys at Rocker Arms Unlimited for hooking us up, these things look great.

IMG_1474580319.098911.jpg

IMG_1474580326.865375.jpg

IMG_1474580335.488067.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    els, Dog_Patch and saltflats like this.
  10. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

Those are nice! I'm building a 392 and can't decide if I want these or do the adjustable push rods.

els likes this.
  11. I've heard adjustable pushrods are kind of a pain to set, but I guess if you have practice with them they become just like anything else. We just didn't really want them and decided to get these. If you do go this route, Gary is your man. He seemed genuinely interested in our project and got these built and shipped from CA to NC in a week and a half.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    els likes this.
  12. Austin kays

Austin kays

13. Got the heads and rockers on, time to go back to school though.
    IMG_1474847640.364549.jpg

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

tartar -

What is that plugged into the right side breather ? If it's a vacuum/PVC port, you did plug that breather...right ?

Mike

els likes this.
  15. It's for the hose that leads to the base of the carb on the back, it came like that from HH along with the one for the other side.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    els likes this.
  16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have adjustable push rods on an Engle roller tappet cam in my dirt car (avatar). The first time I tried to adjust them, I had a real problem, especially with the intakes. A bit of time with a torch and a couple of cheap wrenches made everything easy (well, relatively).

els, tartar_sammich and Dog_Patch like this.
  17. 73RR

73RR

As Mike asked...is the breather plugged?
    If the breather is open then the pcv will not function...at all....

els likes this.
  18. I thought I edited that post last night but I guess it didn't take. I didn't check to see if it was plugged, I'd assume it is but I'll check it when I get back home.

els likes this.
  19. Little update. Dad ordered pushrods today and hopefully they'll be here by the end of the week. Even so, I'm sure we're still forgetting/missing something because that's usually how things go.

els likes this.
  20. dicer2000

dicer2000

Let me get this straight... you're a college student and your building this? I couldn't afford a hamburger in college and your building this beast! Good on you.

21. Looks like the breather is plugged so we're good on that one. IMG_1475340304.307715.jpg

els likes this.
  22. els, saltflats and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Dad cut these block-off plates out of a piece of aluminum and polished them up, they turned out pretty nice.
    IMG_1475340670.161208.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    els and saltflats like this.
  24. It's dads car, if I could pay for something like this I wouldn't even bother with college

els, Just Gary and dicer2000 like this.
  25. It's not ready to start, carb, intake, and valley cover aren't sealed yet, we just put them on to look at them. Right now it's looking like we need a different water crossover due to the location of the alternator.
    IMG_1475365523.580944.jpg

els and saltflats like this.
  26. Rand Man

Rand Man

Do they all have a water crossover? Mine is a basket case. I know I'm missing the front cover. Maybe more, I guess.

els likes this.
  27. I'm pretty sure that they do, we got ours from Hot Heads, but looks like we'll have to get the one made of braided hose to clear the belts because of the position of the alternator. Anyone else who knows more about this please chime in.

els likes this.
  28. Also, if yours is a '55 331 which is what mine is, then you'll definitely need one.

els likes this.
  29. George

George

The open front heads need a water cross over if using the 392 or Chevy W/P. Not if using the 55-56 4 leg W/P.

30. George

George

Hemi Tech Index Also a common trick is to drill a .050 hole in the inner oil plug to help lube the cam/dizzy gears.

els likes this.