Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Recommend crimper for Packard 56 terminals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fredb, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Hey guys
    I'm looking for an affordable crimper for male Packard 56 connectors. Everything I've found is around or over $200 which is a bit steep for only a few connections. How would I be just crimping the best I can with regular crimper said then soldering to completed?
    All suggestions welcome

2. Did you look at American Auto Wire. They used sell some. 56 series were by design not soldered. Wish you were closer I'd loan you a pair.

sjm1340 likes this.
  3. If they are of the type which are "open" (not a cylinder), you can use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to crimp down the sides over the wire, then solder it . You may be able to slip a short length of heatshrink tubing over the end for some strain relief as well. This method has worked for me for many years when oddball crimpers were unavailable and you only had a handful to terminate.
    Of course if you can get your hands on the right crimpers, use them.

4. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you can form the little tabs over a drill bit with pliers, then they would fit the wire better for solder or crimping

Just a thought, DND

5. rfraze

rfraze

Try a pair of open barrel crimpers. Mine have blue grips and were not very expensive. They roll the open ends into a die and have about 5 sizes built in.
    I tried to post a link to product on Amazon. Search for Delphi crimper at $23.97.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  6. cpd682

cpd682
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from DFW, Texas

7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3182-LCT

This is, by a long shot, the best crimper for Packard 56 terminals, and probably the best price you'll find. I have one here. Perfect crimps every time, with no fooling around trying to get everything lined up.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're looking for one to buy, I have both the single and double crimpers from American Autowire and I think they work well. Their rental program also allows you the option to try before you buy which is what I did. Getting the right tool rather than trying something that's not designed for the job probably takes longer and costs more, but when I try to "make do" it often seems to bite me where it hurts!
    Your mileage, however, may vary.... :rolleyes:

9. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

I bought crimpers from American Autowire. Best I've used but pricey.

10. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Think I'll go with the American Autowire rental. I'll let you all know it works out

11. That is a clone of an AMP tool that goes way back. Almost any electrical shop I worked in had them.