Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 350 CHEVY CRATE MOTOR QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fordhistory, Sep 22, 2016.

1. fordhistory

fordhistory
    from California

I am thinking about putting a new 350 Chevy crate motor in my 1940 Ford, and I have some questions, as I have always run flatheads.
    1- Are the modern SBC crate motors the same block as, say, an old 327? I have a transmission adapter to adapt a SBC to a stock '40 tranny..., will this adapter work with a modern 350 crate motor?
    2- I will not be building a "hot rod." I just want more power. So I'm thinking of using just a two barrel carb, and I'm thinking of using 265 exhaust manifolds. They look like they will direct the exhaust in the right locations. Will 265 exhaust manifolds fit on to a modern 350 crate motor?
    3- What I would really like to do, is put a rebuilt 327 in my '40, but that will cost me twice as much as a NEW 350 crate motor. So I'll put in a new crate motor if I can adapt it like I would an old 327.
    Your comments would be appreciated.
    Henry D.

2. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

put it in...
    ya want to say 327 then buy it and it will be a 327

3. 1: yes

2: yes

3: put valve covers that say 327 on them and 95% won't know any different, 99.99% won't care. The .01% that will probably drives a ricer.

4. fordhistory

fordhistory
    from California

You guys are FUNNY! And technically astute! Thanks. I'm goin for it!

5. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

if you can find some 32 ford v8 motor mounts they will bolt in like it was mint to be

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

put a 4bbl on it, you dont want no cheap ass 2bbl fake 327!

7. It's not a fake 327, it is just a longer stroked 327 ;)

captain scarlet likes this.
  8. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

You will be happy. Just get the 260 hp one. Ive heard the 290hp ones are junk. Because it to much cam for the motor can handle or watever But i never tryed it. But for sure a sbc wont disapoint.

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2--290 HP has low comp and somewhat aggressive cam thus no vacuum. Kinda doggy too. Get the 260 or 330 HP version or get a good 300HP 327 built.

DougO68, MIKE STEWART and jeffd1988 like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 265 manifolds will bolt on fine but may be quite restrictive. If that isn't a big issue to you head on.
    As Prewarcars4me said most guys can't tell the difference anyhow even if they claim to be experts on the subject.
    Can't really blame you for going crate motor. I have two or three small blocks stashed away that need rebuilding but between the cost of parts and machine work they get more expensive than a new crate motor from GM real quick.

DougO68 and jeffd1988 like this.
  11. Whoa I was expecting to read a bunch of "don't put a SBC in a ford" comments in this thread. You lucked out! Haha

wedjim, czuch and Fire Fox like this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sure, pass off your 350 crate motor for a 327. And while you're at it, stick 3 dueces on it and only hook up the center one. And don't forget to put a fake quick change cover on your 10 bolt...

Hot Rod Nut, loudbang and AmishMike like this.
  13. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Not really, whenever someone want's to rebuild a flathead or a 265,283,327, you always get the "put a 350 in it" crowd but now that somebody actually "want's" to put a 350 in it you'll get lots of comments.

wedjim likes this.
  14. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Call h&h flathead spend $15,000 on a mild flatty

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

fixed it for you :)

16. wineslob

wineslob

I bought one of those crate motors back when they were $1199.00. It's a darn good motor. The heads are heavy castings (thick decks) and flow well. At the time I bought mine GM would honor the warranty even if you changed the cam, and even if you ported the heads, like I did.

Win- win.

wedjim likes this.
  17. Sauli

Sauli

As these are designed to be "replacement" engines, You´d be best off w/the GM crate-350 -option if You´re well-stocked w/vintage SBC parts&accessories, or ultimately had a complete such engine w/a full, matching set of induction& accessories, and a bad bottom end.
    If there´s a such engine available nearby, consider acquiring it. Either for parts donor, or for rebuild core.
    Accy.´s such as intake/exhaust manifolds, flywheels, pulleys, brackets, wire hold-downs, heat shields etc. can become spendy and extremely time-consuming to match if acquired individually.
    Sounds to me You are looking to replicate the external appearance of a pre-PCV -era 283/327.
    As far as the (265) intake You brought up, it´s designed for an engine w/a draft-tube in the rear of the engine block. This being a PCV-era ´69-85 -type casting, there is no provision for that.
    Good luck.

wedjim, jeffd1988 and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  18. I had a '68 327 that I swapped over to a 2 barrel intake & carb and it ran fine. You can even adapt a Holley 2 barrel to it and obtain a better look over the Rochester.

Soup to nuts with the 355 SBC I built late last year, I have about $6000 into it. Fan to flywheel, air cleaner to oil pan.

19. fordhistory

fordhistory
    from California

OK, all great comments, but now I have a couple of more questions...

1- '32 flathead motor mounts will bolt up to a Chevy block? They will work in place of, say, a Hurst motor mount?
    2- The reason I'm thinking of using a two-barrel is that I will never use the four-barrel, but more importantly, I want to retain the stock Ford throttle linkage. Somewhere in my life, it seems like I saw an old Ford that had a SBC in it with a Ford two-barrel (maybe a Stromberg 97). This of course allowed for the stock linkage. Am I imagining this?

20. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

11 years ago I bought a 383 crate engine. Works great lots of torque idles nice power brakes work.

21. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been running a 290/350 for three years and very happy with it. The one problem I have had is that the bolt hole that threads in from the front to hold the fuel pump pushrod in place is not threaded thru. Makes it a real S.O.B. to change mech. fuel pump. I don't know if it's common on all 290/350 or just mine. Mine came from Mexico.

missmuriel and 34toddster like this.
  22. CruZer

CruZer

I replaced a 307 SBC in my 34 Roadster with the 260HP crate 350 from Summit and it was an easy swap and I like the new engine a lot. No complaints. 2K miles so far and it runs great.
    Do what the others said above and you'll be happy. But, yes put on a small 4barrel.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  23. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Yes it takes a min. with a file to hog out one of the bolt holes to bolt right to the front mount on the chevy block. fits right up to the ford mounts

24. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

image.jpeg You can use the exhaust manifolds off a 65 and later Chevell they drop down and exit behind steering box, looks like they were made for it. Have a set on my 40 for about 40 + years. OPG has them $329.99 for a set, or you can see if you can find some. Check parts house, NAPA or outhers may have them in Dorman line.

25. Nice ill be checking that out as I just took a set off my 51 Chevy and that would be great if the would go right onto the small black in my 39!

26. F&J

F&J

I'd go with the 2 barrel Rochester 2GC.

With the awful fuel blends today, and getting worse soon, I would stay away from aftermarket 4 barrel carbs. And I'd never put a early Ford 2 barrel on that motor. There are carb shop guys on here that could make up a 2GC to fit your linkage.

27. squirrel

squirrel

If I were going to use a 2bbl, I'd try to find the complete original intake and carb setup from an early 70s 350 that came with that. They worked great in the old days. it's bigger than the early 2GC carbs, too.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  28. sunbeam

sunbeam

Next expense buy several extra transmissions a 350 has twice the torque as the flathead. Ford didn't overbuild the trans that much.

29. I had a '70 350 intake and 2GC on my 327 I mentioned before. It worked very well, hardest part was rebuilding the 2GC.

30. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

What is the collector diameter of these Cheville manifolds - 2 inch or perhaps 2.5 inches?
    Thanks.